Menu

What is the best sippy cup to use for a 9 month old?

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I vote for NONE. I'm no germaphobe, but the kids I know who have been sippy cup kids always seem to have ear infections, colds, etc. I wonder if the mechanism that keeps them spill proof (and I have no idea what that is, as I've never had one, but I think there's some sort of design, right?) cannot ever be totally cleaned, even in a dishwasher.

Just my opinion.

astrid

The cup we've used for all three children and often given as a gift is the "green frog cup" from IKEA. It's lightweight, #5 PP plastic, with two handles and a one-piece lid that has three holes. It's very cheap (no big deal if it gets lost) and comes in a set with a matching bowl, spoon, and bib (hate the bib). The cup is dishwasher safe. I like that you can remove the lid when the child a ready for a "real cup". It has a wide base to minimize tip-overs. We really love it!

The cup we've used for all three children and often given as a gift is the "green frog cup" from IKEA. It's lightweight, #5 PP plastic, with two handles and a one-piece lid that has three holes. It's very cheap (no big deal if it gets lost) and comes in a set with a matching bowl, spoon, and bib (hate the bib). The cup is dishwasher safe. I like that you can remove the lid when the child a ready for a "real cup". It has a wide base to minimize tip-overs. We really love it!

Are you able to link a pic of this? I'm trying to find a sippy for my almost 10 mos baby. I've had no success so far.

For us, it depends on time and place and type of drink. For something like water for the car or bed, I'd use the hard-top Gerber with the white valve. http://www.amazon.com/NUK-Gerber-Grips-Spill-Colors/dp/B000GCL5NI/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1296257879&sr=1-6 (seem to loose the valve much less than the "soft" ones)

For milk in the kitchen, I use The First Years "disposable" ones.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Little-Learner-Spill-Proof/dp/B0009F3S5U/ref=sr_1_13?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1296257944&sr=1-13

These are my favorite:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00278WA4W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p75_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=160WE3XW5XRX03SA2AYE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I do NOT like the Nuby or soft spout ones, because it seems if you shake them or if baby turns it upside down and puts pressure on the spout (which they inevitably do) they leak terribly. I'm also not a big fan of the Take & Toss ones (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UF6NVW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p121_d0_i7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=160WE3XW5XRX03SA2AYE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846) because the spouts seem to crack easily & they leak.

We also own a few of these (both with handles and without) and we like them too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RI90U6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p75_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=160WE3XW5XRX03SA2AYE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

I don't like the straw ones, because I find them hard to clean.

Speaking of Take & Toss, and straw cups, I have Take & Toss straw cups like these. I clean the straws with a pipe cleaner. I keep one in my cupboard for that purpose. After I clean the straws (with dish soap), I rinse the pipe cleaner and lay it out to dry and put it away later. You can always get a new one out each time if you prefer. I took one and broke it in half and it's the perfect length for cleaning these straws.

One reason we started using straw cups was that when dd5 was in speech therapy at the age of 3, we discovered that both girls had trouble shaping their lips into that little "o" shape or a tight pucker. Dd7 was much worse and couldn't get any suction to drink from a straw because she didn't/couldn't close her lips around the straw. So I got the straw cups and regularly alternated which kind of cup they were given so that they could develop the corresponding mouth muscles.

The best thing I ever did was to get rid of ALL of the sippy cups. We had a bunch of different ones, and they would get left in the car and everywhere. I ditched them all and got a Foogo straw bottle for each of the kids. I started my (current) youngest child with a regular open mug at home -- I only gave him water in it, and yes, he spilled at first, but he figured it out pretty quickly. The Foogo straw bottle is the only kind of covered cup he's ever used. (And with just one water bottle each, they take care of them, bring them in from the car, etc.) They only put water in them; we don't really do juice or other drinks, and we reserve milk for at home at meals.

However, for actual sippy cups, I did like the Take and Toss ones. I don't like the kind with the no-spill valve, because they seem to teach children to suck, rather than to sip, which as a breastfeeding-into-toddlerhood mom, I didn't want. The T and T ones seemed to be a pretty good compromise.