Menu

VA Notice of Intent and Testing Questions

We're getting settled in Virginia. I have a couple questions.

How detailed do you make the course of instruction description that goes in with a notice of intent? Do you pretty much just list broad topics like "reading, writing, history, math, and science" or do you describe what you are doing for each subject?

Are there any subjects that I need to make sure I mention? (For example Spelling and Grammar instead of a more general writing or Social Studies instead of History)

I'm getting conflicting info about who can proctor the exams submitted at the end of the year to demonstrate progress. If the testing company allows parents to proctor (like CAT or ITBS) does the state require an outside proctor?

Thanks

heav.org :D

How detailed do you make the course of instruction description that goes in with a notice of intent? Do you pretty much just list broad topics like "reading, writing, history, math, and science" or do you describe what you are doing for each subject?

...you must include a description of curriculum for the option you have chosen. A description of curriculum can be a brief list of subjects you plan to teach for each child and the titles of the textbooks you plan to use. If you are not using a text for a subject, you may mention you will be using library books, a unit approach with multiple resources, a particular phonics program, etc. It is not necessary to include a detailed description of course content or a scope and sequence.

I'm getting conflicting info about who can proctor the exams submitted at the end of the year to demonstrate progress. If the testing company allows parents to proctor (like CAT or ITBS) does the state require an outside proctor?

I give my dc their tests and in June/July I turn in the results with a copy of the notice of intent for the next year and a "report card." You can proctor your own tests and you turn them in to the superintendant.

Check out the web site ;)

The list can be very general:

History - Story of the World

English -shurley grammar, IEW, MCT Vocabulary

Math - Saxon 6/5

etc.

I just list the name of whatever book we are using for the main spine.

As far as testing goes, the public school here in our county(maybe all of VA) is required to offer testing to homeschoolers - standardized as well as AP, PSAT and SAT. I have always taken advantage of this with my kids and let them to be tested by public school teachers. The results go right to the home instruction office and they send me a copy. I think its great that I don't have to do it at home. As long as your student tests above the 23%, there is no problem. Read at the HEAV site that Kathleen mentioned above, for how to test kids with LD's or if you would rather do a portfolio. VA has been a pretty easy state to homeschool in and our county is very homeschool friendly.

HTH

I have a high school diploma and file under option (i). I attach a copy of my diploma and the results of my students CAT-E (administered by ME) to the Superintendent.

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/noi/filing_NOI.asp#option_i

I give a very brief description....

I've attached my NOI for 2010.

2010NOI.txt

2010NOI.txt

You do not need to be very detailed. I simply wrote something along the lines of "We will be studying math, phonics, handwriting and will participate in homeschool co-ops and group activities."

It was very vague and it really should be as vague as possible. You do NOT have to include book titles. Curriculum is generally defined as a description of your course load not the publishers or title of books.

The Organization of Va Homeschoolers has great information on their site, along with some sample letters:

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/noi/filing_NOI.asp

Here's what I wrote:

"Ds6" curriculum will include Mathematics, Language Arts, Religion and Hindi. To implement the course of study we will be using curricula, a plethora of age appropriate books, taking field trips, engaging in hands on activities and participating in community co-op classes.

Completely bare bones.

mine was always bare bones as well. names and subjects with a statement I reserve the right to change anything at anytime. never listed curriculum titles. only subjects :-)

:iagree:

Same here. The best advice I was given is Give them the bare minimum. My NOI is super basic, verbiage borrowed, and I listed zero actual titles etc. For example, for my rising first grader:

Language Arts: This course will provide the student with basic reading, writing, spelling, storytelling, and reading comprehension skills. Additional instruction will be given in grammar and syntax.

-I did similar descriptions for math, history, and science. You are not required to report everything you are doing (e.g. Bible), only the four biggies.

For end-year testing, you only have to test in language arts and math, period. I'll be doing the CAT, which I can proctor myself. Easy peasy. (Note that if you know anybody who's a certified teacher, he/she can take a look at your kids' work and write up an eval instead of the tests. I did this for some friends--wrote up crazy basic evals, e.g. "Brian demonstrated sufficient progress in language arts." Alas, if only I could write up the evaluation for my own kids!!!)

btw, WELCOME TO VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug:

Have the requirements changed recently? I've always only printed a copy of HEAV's NOI, filled in the blanks & sent that in with a copy of dh's college diploma - can't find mine & don't want to pay for another copy (along with copies of CAT scores). I have never listed what we study or use.

The only requirement that changed somewhat recently was with regard to the degree needed--You used to have to have at least your Bachelor's, but now you only need a high school diploma to homeschool.

HEAV's NOI is still fine.

I have a high school diploma and file under option (i). I attach a copy of my diploma and the results of my students CAT-E (administered by ME) to the Superintendent.

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/noi/filing_NOI.asp#option_i

I give a very brief description....

I've attached my NOI for 2010.

So it looks like the NOI you use is both the proof of progress from the previous year and the NOI for the upcoming year.

btw, WELCOME TO VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug:

I'm hoping that we'll settle in soon. I think we've settled on a place to live, but we need to run it past housing before we can sign and get keys. I have know idea when our stuff will arrive from Japan or storage in California.

My kids are still at my inlaws a couple states away. My mil, who is a saint, is directing their homeschooling and making sure they send me daily reports via email.

I'm really really ready to not be rootless and to get back to life, including homeschooling. And after seven years outside the continental US, I'm just giddy with the options here. I even bought a National Parks Service annual pass. And I intend to get my money's worth.

So it looks like the NOI you use is both the proof of progress from the previous year and the NOI for the upcoming year.

No, the NOI and the test results (or evaluation) would be at the very least two separate pieces of paper.

If you opt to test, nothing in the law indicates who may administer the test. The testing company may have certain requirements though (some may only be administered by a person holding a bachelor's degree, for example). Some school districts offer free testing. Although I hated having any contact with a district, we took advantage of it for two years. (There are pros and cons.) Last year, my kids took the CAT through Seton. The company is based in NE Virginia. I tested at the last minute, and my scores were returned to me within three days. (!!)

Virginia is a pain, imo, because it requires annual testing. The NOI can be intimidating at first, but it's really not. VA could be easier, but at least you don't have to provide any kind of portfolio. You only need to provide your diploma once. It's reasonable to expect that they will keep it on file for subsequent years, and I've written that in my NOI, "...a copy of which is on file in your office."

It really grates me that the district will reply to the NOI with a letter "granting permission." There is no "permission" to grant; the district does not have that authority. :glare:

Welcome to beautiful Virginia!!

Note to ChickenPatty. If you are filing under option (i), you are supposed to provide a curriculum description. If your district isn't asking for it, I wouldn't change anything or send additional info at this point.

Rule of thumb: give as little information as possible. Always.

This is what HSLDA says: "Parents must submit a "description of curriculum" which is a list of subjects they intend to teach. Families are not required to describe the content of individual courses."

So there you go: You'll say you're teaching English (you can say grammar, composition, spelling, penmanship, literature, but "English" is enough), American history, basic arithmetic, life science, fine arts, health. You don't have to list textbooks or other materials you'll be using. Understand that "curriculum" does not mean "that math book there." It means "the subjects offered by an institution of education." See the difference? You don't use "curriculum." You use instructional materials.

another one welcoming you to VA.

Hope you make it to the HEAV convention in June.

there is also a religious exemption option that you can check out at HEAV.

testing can be simple.

I usually discourage people from doing it at the ps's. couple of reasons: your children aren't use to the way the school do things and they will be the odd kids out possibly, and the schools get the results before you do.