Menu

Cutting off spine of workbook

Though for student worksheets, I don't like dark spots when I copy them, so I leave them whole and put them in page protectors. :) I am a dork! :lol:

But if you lay a white piece of paper on top of the one you're photocopying, there won't be black spots where the holes are.:D

Though for student worksheets, I don't like dark spots when I copy them, so I leave them whole and put them in page protectors. :) I am a dork! :lol:

:lol: you and me both then! - I bought the pdf version of the student pages and I put them all in polypockets (transparent page protectors) in a ring binder (notebook). :001_smile:

I have the teacher pages spiral bound and student pages 3 hole punched. WHY did I not think of just having the student pages bound like a workbook?!?!? Great idea!

If you do get them bound like a workbook, I strongly suggest breaking it up into 2 or 3 workbooks (WWE 3 and 4 especially are huge since the reading selections are in the student part and not the teacher part).

I have the teacher pages spiral bound and student pages 3 hole punched. WHY did I not think of just having the student pages bound like a workbook?!?!? Great idea!

Here's why:

I discovered one day that my 10yo, right-handed dd was hooking her hand around the top of a piece of paper to write, which she had learned from writing in workbooks, because it was easier to do that than to wrestle down the workbook. If I slanted her paper the hook disappeared.

From that point on I never had her write in another workbook. I took all of her workbooks (not that many, but enough to make her do the hooked-hand thingie) and had the spines cut off and the pages drilled for three holes. I took out one page at a time for her to work on, then put it back in the notebook. At first I had to tape the paper to the table, slanted in the proper direction; in time she naturally turned her paper naturally.

So, that's why you don't want the student pages spiral bound. Just take out a page and give it to your dc to work on, then put it back. :)

Here's what I did-

I used a razor blade to cut down through the spine about 20 pages at a time, and hole punched them. If I could - i just ripped the spine itself - length wise, and then cut the glue stuff off.

I was amazed at how pricey having the spines cut off was going to be, and this worked fine.

I three-hole punched everything, and most fit in one binder with divider tabs. So glad I did it!

Here's what I did-

I used a razor blade to cut down through the spine about 20 pages at a time, and hole punched them. If I could - i just ripped the spine itself - length wise, and then cut the glue stuff off.

I was amazed at how pricey having the spines cut off was going to be, and this worked fine.

I three-hole punched everything, and most fit in one binder with divider tabs. So glad I did it!

This is how I did it as well. :)

If you do get them bound like a workbook, I strongly suggest breaking it up into 2 or 3 workbooks (WWE 3 and 4 especially are huge since the reading selections are in the student part and not the teacher part).

I spiral bound the student pages in two sections. I did the spiral at the TOP, not the side, that way the spine is not an issue when writing.