Menu

Spielvogel freakout

There are soooo many editions on Amazon, all expensive, so I'm afraid to make a mistake. Can anyone help me through this labyrinth?

I want to do a "purist" WTM history/literature approach.

What is the best Spielvogel edition/set to use? Do I need the teacher's manual?

This whole thing is freaking me out for some reason. Is this the best spine for a purist approach?

I'm not worried about the actual implementing of the course, oddly enough. I'm just worried about choosing a good text.

I have the 4th edition-TO 1715, and a hardback of the 5th Comprehensive.

I prefer both for different reasons-the comprehensive editions is just that-comprehensive. But if you get a Volume 1 to 1715 then it's much more in depth.

I plan on getting a Vol 2 when I need.

Clear as mud? :D

I dunno, I enjoy reading them. But you may hate it.

Do they make many changes to the editions? They have an edition every year or two! I want the "latest," but that's $$$, and I have to buy 2-3 copies, so I want to make a smart decision.

By what I see, yes.

If I were you, I would buy copies of the 6th edition, used, to 1715 (if that's where you are in history-vol 2 if beyond that). You don't need a teacher's edition, but sometimes I've come across study guides. I've been underwhelmed by them. *g*

Edited by justamouse

I don't know what a purist approach is, but I do know that Spielvogel's Human Odyssey is one of the most incoherent texts I've ever used.

One text that I've reviewed extensively is The Making of the West from Bedford St. Martin's. It's coherent and interesting. I decided not to use it because I prefer to use a world history text.

I don't know what a purist approach is, but I do know that Spielvogel's Human Odyssey is one of the most incoherent texts I've ever used.

One text that I've reviewed extensively is The Making of the West from Bedford St. Martin's. It's coherent and interesting. I decided not to use it because I prefer to use a world history text.

What did you decide to use for a world history text?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

If your focus is World History my favorite is "World History" by Duiker and Spielvogel.

http://www.amazon.com/World-History-William-J-Duiker/dp/0495569011/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1296322803&sr=8-7

If you focus is on Western Civilization my favorite is "Western Civilization" by Spielvogel

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Civilization-Jackson-J-Spielvogel/dp/0495502855/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296322923&sr=1-1

There is a newer edition of this that just came out; this is the edition I have.

Doesn't the comprehensive contain everything that is in the two volume split edition? The split volume should not be more in depth. I'm talking Western Civ here.

I used 5th edition Western Civ Comprehensive. It was really good, until we hit 20th Cent--then I felt I needed to supplement.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Doesn't the comprehensive contain everything that is in the two volume split edition? The split volume should not be more in depth. I'm talking Western Civ here.

I used 5th edition Western Civ Comprehensive. It was really good, until we hit 20th Cent--then I felt I needed to supplement.

That is correct. They split the comprehensive volume into 2 volumes for those that are taking just one course instead of both. That way they don't have to buy the entire book when they only need half of it for their course.