Menu

~Kindle/Nook free ebook obsession~

Yes, but I recently found a new justification for this practice!!!!

Lots of people want to borrow books that were previously free on Kindle, so I am getting 'borrowing credit' for these books at the Kindle Lending Club. (Not that this is mandatory, but it seems like the fair thing to do.)

So click on, sister!

Does this mean the books free books may not be available or harder to get?

I ask because I noticed Google's pdf's of free books are harder to download now since you have to input one of those security keys before downloading now whereas previously they only asked after you downloaded a lot of books. They also have a Google bookstore where you can add books to your library now. It makes me wonder if they will charge for these books someday...

I also wonder if it is better to download these books in epub format instead of PDFs if I hope to use on an ipad type device or reader someday. Any thoughts?

Yes, but I recently found a new justification for this practice!!!!

Lots of people want to borrow books that were previously free on Kindle, so I am getting 'borrowing credit' for these books at the Kindle Lending Club. (Not that this is mandatory, but it seems like the fair thing to do.)

So click on, sister!

I had forgotten about the Kindle lending club! Looks very interesting!

I cannot stop looking for and downloading free books!!!

I cannot imagine I will ever finish all of these........

Anyone else addicted??

Yes, and I'm getting worse...thanks to mktkcb. :D For me, the best part of downloading free books is having access to lesser-known works of my favorite authors that are hard to find in libraries or at used bookstores.

I ask because I noticed Google's pdf's of free books are harder to download now since you have to input one of those security keys before downloading now whereas previously they only asked after you downloaded a lot of books. They also have a Google bookstore where you can add books to your library now. It makes me wonder if they will charge for these books someday...

I also wonder if it is better to download these books in epub format instead of PDFs if I hope to use on an ipad type device or reader someday. Any thoughts?

FYI, the link posted by mktkcb http://bit.ly/gutmagic takes you to a page where you can chose either mobi for Kindle or epub files from Project Gutenberg. I haven't tried to download from Google, but Project Gutenberg files are easy to download.

I noticed this, too. I'm becoming paranoid that I should buy an e-reader while the free books are still available. Sigh...

I have a stack of free books waiting to be read on my Nook--I'm working on Howard's End right now. I'm also obsessed with getting library books (my Free Library of Philadelphia card finally arrived, so now I've got that plus a card to a library in Florida) on it, so another flavor of "free book." It's kind of funny--most of the books I have are either very, very recent--like the past 2 years--since that's mostly what the library e-books are, or very old so that they're public domain. I feel bad for all those books published between the 30's and 2008 :D

I have been downloading the PDFs from Google to my computer just in case:D Now I just wonder if I should download the epub versions as well...

You can read the PDFs on an iPad. The ePub versions are a bit nicer, but the PDF versions are fine, much nicer than reading a PDF on the computer.

Do you mean it is nicer to read epub on the computer? Are epubs nicer to read than pdfs in the sense that it is like turning a page? Can I download an epub reader to computer?

No, I mean on the device, that a format specifically for a kindle or iBooks is nicer, its links are usually better and the spacing is sometimes a bit better.

But, the PDFs are just like turning a page on the iPad and I prefer to read a PDF on the iPad than on the computer.

I noticed this, too. I'm becoming paranoid that I should buy an e-reader while the free books are still available. Sigh...

With Amazon, you can still "buy" all the free books, even if you don't have an e-reader. I do think you need to have a place to send them, so you would have to download Kindle for PC or the Kindle app for a smart phone, but you wouldn't need to actually keep the files on your computer, as Amazon backs everything up for you.

Where do you get all of these free books?????

Well so far I have gotten free ones from Amazon,

project gutenberg,

google books,

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/ , and some other sites here and there.

I check these websites as well:

http://ireaderreview.com/

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,47266.0.html

if you have a nook they offer one free book every fri

oh and if you join the facebook group they put offers there sometimes.

Edited by mommybee

Where do you get all of these free books?????

I get them all from Amazon. They have all of the classic books for free. They also have lesser known authors/books in a for free section (top 100 free). I have been pleasantly surprised with the selection.:001_smile: