Menu

Am I going crazy? CLE Math or Strayor-Upton

Medieval Mom

Oh help! DS and I both love CLE Math. Any sane person would say to stick with what's working, right? Then why, oh why, am I tempted by the pretty set of Strayor Arithmetic books that I picked up for 50 cents each at a library book sale? The quaint illustrations? The intense focus on mental arithmetic? The monetary savings? The idea that less can be more? The fact that ds7 asked me if we could "please do math on Saturdays, so we can do math out of that "little book" (Ray's Arithmetic)? Reading too much Charlotte Mason lately?

No normal person in their right mind would:

1) Consider a different math program, if their current program is fantastic.

2) Consider using TWO programs, when their day is already full.

3) Consider alternating programs, which could really just slow ds down into doldrums.

Right?

Oh help.

I think I have the January doldrums. The appeal of *shorter* lessons, as well as relieving my bulging budget, is luring me into elaborate schemes and pro/cons lists on any piece of paper within sight. ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

help. :confused:

Well, we did both and it worked great! Dd7 loves CLE and she is doing great now that we are back(that is a different story). However, I did like the fact that Ray's added in alot of mental math. So we did our CLE everyday just as scheduled. Later in the day we would do one lesson of Ray's orally together and it really helped strengthen her skills. I will advise if CLE is working DO NOT DROP IT!!!! I made this mistake and have regretted it. But the lessons in Ray's are short enough to add in. Now if you don't think you will be able to afford to stick with CLE you may want to move to using just SU slowly so when your finished with your CLE kiddo will be prepared for the switch.

Well, we did both and it worked great! Dd7 loves CLE and she is doing great now that we are back(that is a different story). However, I did like the fact that Ray's added in alot of mental math. So we did our CLE everyday just as scheduled. Later in the day we would do one lesson of Ray's orally together and it really helped strengthen her skills. I will advise if CLE is working DO NOT DROP IT!!!! I made this mistake and have regretted it. But the lessons in Ray's are short enough to add in. Now if you don't think you will be able to afford to stick with CLE you may want to move to using just SU slowly so when your finished with your CLE kiddo will be prepared for the switch.

I think this is an excellent suggestion, and makes good, solid sense. (Much needed in January :).) After all, ds LOVES CLE math, and so do I! We'll keep it. I'll just schedule in an "oral math" session sometime in the aftertoon ( or whenever) for ds and I to do our Ray's or Strayor-Upton. He just LOVES Ray's story problems :) Thinking more about it, I don't think either of us would be happy to forego CLE Math. So, out with that option. If our "oral math" doesn't get done, no big deal. If our CLE flies out the window, though, yikes! We can afford to buy CLE Math; it truly is reasonably priced. It's just not 50 cents! ;) (I'm a bargain-hunter, I guess. And I could always use more money for books! Couldn't we all? ;) )

Thanks for giving me some good, solid advice! It's much appreciated!

Whew! Problem solved. :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

Wow! What a deal on SU!! I have book 1, and am considering books 2&3 in the future. Right now dd is doing Ray's Primary and really liking it.

If you have the other Ray's books can you compare them to SU for me if you have time? Thanks!

Yes! I just love library book sales! :) (And old textbooks, for that matter...)

Unfortunately, I don't have the other Ray's books. They're sitting on my amazon wishlist (for 2 years now)... Sigh.. Hopefully, someone else can answer your question. (Or maybe I'll get lucky at the thrift store and find some old Ray's! Wouldn't that be lovely?)

Isn't Ray's Primary great? Ds just LOVES the word problems!

We've been using Strayer-Upton's Practical Arithmetics (19-thirtysomething edition reprinted) since mid 1st grade, and it's worked really well for us. Have no plans to change.

Ooh! Fantastic! I have the first edition, 1928 (??). It has fewer pages than the editions that are now being re-published, about 300 in Book One.

Edited by Medieval Mom

Yes! I just love library book sales! :) (And old textbooks, for that matter...)

Unfortunately, I don't have the other Ray's books. They're sitting on my amazon wishlist (for 2 years now)... Sigh.. Hopefully, someone else can answer your question. (Or maybe I'll get lucky at the thrift store and find some old Ray's! Wouldn't that be lovely?)

Isn't Ray's Primary great? Ds just LOVES the word problems!

Yes, it really is very nice! Hope you find your thrift deal! :)