Menu

Pls Answer An Interesting Question.................

No, those memories explain why I am the way I am and why I struggle with things like depression. If the memory was gone, I would be forever wondering why I have the issues I have. At least with the memories, I know why and can move forward with that in mind.

Tried to post there and couldn't?? So here's my answer:

No, I wouldn't. There are certainly things I don't *enjoy* remembering, but the idea of not having them there makes me feel . . . unsteady? I don't know--I can't really put a name to the feeling. And the idea that other people would remember even though I wouldn't . . . I'd always be wondering what I was missing/forgetting and whether or not it was really important. Plus, many of the less-than-pleasant memories serve the purpose of helping me make better decisions now. How am I to know that I wouldn't end up with WORSE memories because I didn't have the caution or wisdom instilled by the initial event?

I don't have anything truly horrific in my past, though. If I did, my answer *might* be different, but I don't think so. Anything that big would certainly be life-altering, and my life would still be different but I wouldn't know why, kwim? And then there's the chance that I could somehow find out later what had happened from someone else, and it seems like that would be more traumatic than the original memory--this horrible thing happened to me and I didn't even KNOW it??

I couldn't post on your blog either:confused:

Here's my answer though, I would not.

There are several very painful memories I have and at first thought, yes I would love to get rid of them. But honestly, they are part of who I am. They have shaped me in every way. They hurt badly and sometimes the pain is unbelievably unbearable:crying: , but it is my belief that God has placed them upon me for a reason and that I am to learn and grow from them.

Thinking on it... when we really NEED to forget things, in order to save our sanity for instance, our brain deletes on its own. IOW, we already have an ingrown system of selective amnesia, this would be, imo, just another example of man tampering with nature attempting to get a "natural" response unnaturally. IykwIm :p

I would not erase memories, but you can get rid of the negative emotions attached to the memory. Emotional Freedom Technique practitioners do it all of the time. Some can take quite a bit of work though.

So... did you know that some people think that our memories will be erased by God? I don't think that the memory will actually be gone... I just think that any negative affects of the memory will.

I couldn't post on your blog either:confused:

Here's my answer though, I would not.

There are several very painful memories I have and at first thought, yes I would love to get rid of them. But honestly, they are part of who I am. They have shaped me in every way. They hurt badly and sometimes the pain is unbelievably unbearable:crying: , but it is my belief that God has placed them upon me for a reason and that I am to learn and grow from them.

I completely agree.:grouphug:

I would not erase memories, but you can get rid of the negative emotions attached to the memory. Emotional Freedom Technique practitioners do it all of the time. Some can take quite a bit of work though.

So... did you know that some people think that our memories will be erased by God? I don't think that the memory will actually be gone... I just think that any negative affects of the memory will.

I think having everything resolved would take away any power our memories have to hurt us away. I'm not sure about a memory swipe, but resolution... that would make me happy :D