Menu

Our "tweaked" 9th grade plans...

So, I've "tweaked" our plans for 9th grade. This is what I have so far:

World Literature I / English (1 credit) – studying literature from each continent/country as we cover them in Geography (still finalizing my list of specific titles); Vocabulary for the High School Student, & IEW-SWI-C,

Geography (history course) (1 credit?) Runkle's Geography

Introduction to World Religions & Cultures (1 credit) - I really want to cover the cultures & religions of the different countries (where as Runkle's geography is mostly a physical geography course). Open to ideas of what to use to cover these topics.

Physical Science (1 credit) - was leaning toward using Abeka Physical Science, but I'm not sure if it will cover too much of what is also covered in Runkle's Geography? Open to other suggestions (we plan to cover Biology, Chemistry and probably Physics during the rest of high school).

French 1 (1 credit): BJU French 1

MUS Geometry (1 credit) plus working our way through LoF Beginning Algebra as a review (we've already covered MUS Algebra I)

Discovering Music (1 credit)

at least 1 more elective (allowing dd to choose) (1/2 credit-1 credit)

How does this look? We're looking for a solid academic offering, but not crazy-rigorous either! She also dances for about 7-9 hours per week, participates in youth group and drama team at our church, is a member of National Honor Society, and participates in an in-depth Bible Study.

Have you seen the DIVE Integrated Science? Someone just pointed it out to me, so I don't know much about it, but it may be worth looking into! (scroll down a bit for the description)

http://www.christianbook.com/dive-into-integrated-chemistry-physics-rom/pd/345908

I've seen the DIVE dvd's, but would prefer something that has a textbook (my dd retains more by reading it, although the dvd lecture would be a nice supplement) and would like something that has tests, quizzes, etc already made!

I've seen the DIVE dvd's, but would prefer something that has a textbook (my dd retains more by reading it, although the dvd lecture would be a nice supplement) and would like something that has tests, quizzes, etc already made!

Ahhhh, makes sense! My dd gets more from visual, and has done well using cds/dvds for some of her classes, so this looks good to me! :) It does say it has reviews (like quizzes?) and exams.

Anyway, with all that's available I'm sure you'll find something that will work well for her!

Oh, another question Re Discovering Music--Do you have something you're using for that? I'm looking into that too. Have you seen Harmony Fine Arts? They have neat looking curriculum for elementary up through highschool.

http://harmonyfinearts.com/

Edited by Brindee

Ahhhh, makes sense! My dd gets more from visual, and has done well using cds/dvds for some of her classes, so this looks good to me! :) It does say it has reviews (like quizzes?) and exams.

Anyway, with all that's available I'm sure you'll find something that will work well for her!

Oh, another question Re Discovering Music--Do you have something you're using for that? I'm looking into that too. Have you seen Harmony Fine Arts? They have neat looking curriculum for elementary up through highschool.

http://harmonyfinearts.com/

I have checked out the stuff at Harmony Fine Arts and it looks so good! I had already planned on using Discovery Music (Discovering Music), but that's not set in stone yet!

World Literature I / English (1 credit) – studying literature from each continent/country as we cover them in Geography (still finalizing my list of specific titles); Vocabulary for the High School Student, & IEW-SWI-C,

Oooh. That should be great. Love the idea of tying in world lit.

Introduction to World Religions & Cultures (1 credit) - I really want to cover the cultures & religions of the different countries (where as Runkle's geography is mostly a physical geography course). Open to ideas of what to use to cover these topics.

Have you looked at BJU Cultural Geography? I've never used it, but looked at it several years ago to see if it was something I wanted to use for geography. Also, our library has LOTS of beautiful, full-color books on each country. We checked out a slew each week as we studied continent to continent. Loved the pictures and the general info about each country's history, religion, culture, political system.

How does this look? We're looking for a solid academic offering, but not crazy-rigorous either! She also dances for about 7-9 hours per week, participates in youth group and drama team at our church, is a member of National Honor Society, and participates in an in-depth Bible Study.

Looks like a great year!

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

Physical Science (1 credit) - was leaning toward using Abeka Physical Science, but I'm not sure if it will cover too much of what is also covered in Runkle's Geography? Open to other suggestions (we plan to cover Biology, Chemistry and probably Physics during the rest of high school).

BJU Geography does a nice job covering world religions. It isn't as sciencey as Runkle. When I looked at Runkle years ago, I thought it was more science than geography. It did look very interesting, though. We liked Apologia for physical science. I have heard of those liking A Beka Physical, though.

Dive schedules reading in a textbook of your choice. He has schedules for A Beka, Apologia, BJU, and CPO for the Integrated Chemistry & Physics. Here is a link to all the syllabi for his courses. Scroll down and you can find them for science.

The Dive CD (if I understand correctly) only has tests every 8 weeks, but I plan to use extra that I can find for the text I choose.

Dive schedules reading in a textbook of your choice. He has schedules for A Beka, Apologia, BJU, and CPO for the Integrated Chemistry & Physics. Here is a link to all the syllabi for his courses. Scroll down and you can find them for science.

The Dive CD (if I understand correctly) only has tests every 8 weeks, but I plan to use extra that I can find for the text I choose.

Thank you so much for this info, Amy!! This might work well!

BJU Geography does a nice job covering world religions. It isn't as sciencey as Runkle. When I looked at Runkle years ago, I thought it was more science than geography. It did look very interesting, though. We liked Apologia for physical science. I have heard of those liking A Beka Physical, though.

Susan...I agree with you about Runkle's seeming more "sciencey" than geography! I think we're going to use a combination of Runkle Geography (for physical geography) and Glencoe Geography (for cultural geography), and then A Beka Science of the Physical Creation in conjunction with DIVE Integrated Physics and Chemistry. Now I just have to work on narrowing down our selections for literature....and then I have to work on the plans for the younger 3 kids! ACK! It's a never ending process!

Have you considered using Mapping the World by Heart for physical geography? My husband used that to teach the children the countries of Europe and the American states so far, and I love that I can now say "Albania" for example, and they know right where it is and what's around it.