Menu

Algebra 2 summer course?

Algebra 2 is a tough course to fit into a summer - it covers a lot!

Could they begin doing it now and finishing up at the end of summer instead?

He's in boarding school now so I doubt he could start an online course and keep up with the regular school work. The mom is asking the teacher when the courses need to be finished. I got the impression it was by September. It seems like it would be very intense to finish a year of math in a summer.

Thanks for the online suggestions. I'll keep looking.

We are using Derek Owens (see my signature) for physics this year, and I have been very pleased. You may read my review here. He also offers all high school math.

We're using Derek for geometry this year, and ds just loves him. The course is clear, thorough, and easy to work with. We're lucky enough to be local, so ds can go to one of his classes, but due to limited class time, the kids use the video lectures a lot and we turn in all of the homework, etc, via computer. I do think doing all of algebra 2 in a summer would be a challenge, but a committed and capable student with relatively few other demands on his time could certainly manage. And I feel confident that Derek's course would be a great way to o that.

He's in boarding school now so I doubt he could start an online course and keep up with the regular school work. The mom is asking the teacher when the courses need to be finished. I got the impression it was by September. It seems like it would be very intense to finish a year of math in a summer.

Thanks for the online suggestions. I'll keep looking.

IMO it would be easier to accelerate quickly through algebra I than algebra II. She might want to ask at his school if this is a possibility. Anything that would give him more than three months or so in algebra II would be helpful in making it possible. Maybe at the least, they could give him a copy of their algebra II text, and he could spend just a short time each day working through that, and he'd have the benefit of a teacher he could ask for help when he gets stuck. Just a thought.

I'd also check with JanninTX to see if she could be of help working with him online. :)