Menu

Have any of your older children taken a gap year or a break from college?

Ds is taking a semester off to work and *clear* his head as to what he wants to study. He has done his General Ed and is still no more decided on a major than he was a year ago. Sigh. Tell me that there are young people who set out a semester and go back...and not leave things unfinished. I am not exactly euphoric over this but it's his decision now.

Edited by Liz CA

Well, I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for.

My 1st year of college was at a Christian liberal arts college. I knew I needed vocational training because I would have to support myself. I transferred to the local community college and earned an AAS in Medical Laboratory Technology (think blood tests). For several years I "sort of" took more classes, but with nothing particular in mind. I finally decided to commit to earning a Bachelor's degree, went back to school and got my BS 12 years after I graduated from high school. Taking a break is not the end of the world, and I think better than spending a lot of money when you aren't sure what you want.

Has your DS taken any aptitude or interest inventories? They were offered at no charge at my community college - he might find that helpful in deciding on a field.

Best wishes.