Menu

This thread will NOT make you feel inadequate

Tylianna

I am one that feels bad when I see what others are doing, since we are barely getting school-y stuff done like we should. DH is home during the day and it is difficult to get it done, when he wants them to have their rooms or chores done. Or he wants to go somewhere during the day. They are usually good about doing their self work by themselves, but I have a 4th grader who is not even on the 2nd half of Horizons 4. She worked it out to where she will be DONE with it by May/June, and will start on 5 in the summer.

My first grader is not reading as well as I would like her to. She has problems with some simple three letter words, but can read 5-7 letter words that I doubt that I have taught her! Every time I say it is time to do something... she replies with "I hate ...." to whatever the subject is.

My 2nd grader is doing okay, whenever I can get her to DO it! lol

I have not had a vocabulary program, and I don't know where to start... Any help??

I also would like to start teaching my 4th grader Spanish, since I know quite a bit, and can speak with very little accent (so I'm told lol). She can take whatever language she wants in high school. I was leaning toward La Clase Divirtida, but I read in the Rainbow Resource book that it is very juvenile, and older children might not like it. I don't want to do Rosetta Stone, due to the price, and I'm not sure if it qualifies for highschool credit (I know she is too young, but I would rather not start a program that does me no good in the long run)

I found out that they understand better when they have the audio cd of SOTW than if I read it. So, any read alouds will be done by audio cd... :tongue_smilie: Does that make me bad? I read really well, but I guess my voice just sounds like "wah wah wah" (best Charlie Brown adult voice) lol

So, for the record, this is what we do:

First grader: Horizons 1, FLL1, OPGTR, ETC, informal handwriting, Sonlight LA (for the copy work), Spelling (I'm not sure, it was free online).

Second grader: Horizons 2, FLL2, WWE1, ETC, Reason for Handwriting (cursive), Sonlight readers, Sequential Spelling

Fourth grader: Horizons 4, FLL3, WWE2, ETC, Reason for Handwriting (cursive), Sequential Spelling, Spectrum phonics 4th grade.

Together they do Sonlight Science, SOTW 2, Bible.

Sorry this is so long, but I wish I had someone that could be my "coach" with this. My sister who started me with homeschooling has children younger than me!

If you made it this far... Thanks!!!

but I have a 4th grader who is not even on the 2nd half of Horizons 4. She worked it out to where she will be DONE with it by May/June, and will start on 5 in the summer.

!!!

One thing to keep in mind about Horizons is that it runs 6 months or so advanced compared to most other math programs. The second book of the 4th grade set would sort of be like beginning 5th grade math. My big girl completed Horizons 1 and we tried BJU Math 2 (which I believe is on grade level) and she already mastered about 40% of the BJU Math 2 material!

So don't kick yourself about Horizons progression!!

Have a heart-to-heart with your husband. I'm in your situation and I have had to do a lot of communicating with DH. Like you can't just start a cartoon mid-day or start one while the eldest is still working, LOL. I don't know how your relationship works, in ours I'm in charge of homeschooling, which means (unless he's had a very bad day or his back pain has flared up) that he will listen to what I need. I had to remind him often for a few months, just because he doesn't realize the distraction and had to get used to a new mode of operation. But we are doing better now. It helped me to remind him of our goals for the kids as well. (I don't want to sound disrespectful, just for us the person responsible for whichever task sets the 'rules', so to speak. Our relationship works much better when we each have our own areas to take care of.)

Your sister's goals might be different than yours, and her family / kids are different. I wouldn't compare to her, compare to yourselves 3 months ago. Also, decide what you want. Good character is more important than super academics to me.

Your younger ones sound like mine. My almost 7 yo is easily distractable and can be obstinate in a goofy / whiny way. My 4 1/2 yo will be outright defiant at times. So right now I have one goal for them: prompt, cheerful obedience. Everything else is a means to that end. So it might be good to change your focus with them from X skill to developing good character. They have time to learn math and reading!

As to Spanish - set aside a place or a time and speak only Spanish. At first I think some people say things in both languages, then eventually use only the target language.

My 8yo is a struggling reader. What helped him was spelling, because he didn't get blending for a LOOOONG time. Something to look into for your younger one. Or just more time - it takes time for some kids to 'get it'.

Amy

I read ... and I went "oh dear." You need to establish some sort of schedule. This does not need to be a firm time-to-time sort of thing, but you need, at the very least, a list - daily, weekly, or monthly. In our house, we wake up with chores done. So, school comes first. Chores are completed after playing oustide for a few hours. We do not take a trip to Wal-mart or the supermarket unless the school work is complete - at least 4 to 5 hours in the morning. If we need to go somewhere, one parent stays home to monitor. The only exception is if we have a "schoolish" activity, and we do not do seatwork on this particular day.

I had a difficult time explaining that homeschool does not mean we can skip lessons and we can do whatever we want whenever we want. After almost 16 years, I think he has gotten the idea of the concept. :D I still return some mornings and find I have missing kids, but the bookbags are gone too. LOL Leave it to dh to find a way around the "list." I don't care if work is done at the park, beach, or grandma's house. I just desire it to be finished!

You have not been schooling long. Give it some time, and you will find what works well for you. Do not be afraid to think outside of the box. You can do school in the afternoon or the evening. No one said it had to be the morning. No one said you had to do everything everyday. When the little ones were young, we did math in the morning three times a week, and we did reading twice a week in the morning. We did history/science lessons on Saturday morning. We read aloud before bed. I want to say years ago that was the Light and the Glory for history. Science was nothing but books from the library for three years with experiments on Saturdays. :D

You get the point! No shame in being different! This is why I homeschool!

Your sister's goals might be different than yours, and her family / kids are different. I wouldn't compare to her, compare to yourselves 3 months ago. Also, decide what you want. Good character is more important than super academics to me.

:hurray: YaY! That is what I am doing. I have had a lot of the same problems. DD and I are both pokey procrastinators. We put things off, get distracted, and when we do them we are slow. It takes her twice as long to get most of her work done than what the schedule should say.

I wrote about a similar problem with getting off-schedule and/or never sticking to one for long and a lot of people told me that morning start time makes the biggest difference. It is really true. Get yourself an early set in stone start time. Go to bed earlier, get up earlier. It is helping.

Do you ever watch "19 Kids & Counting"? Michelle Duggar has a chart that I love! I don't know how to find it and show it to you, but it has a column for each person, and then the rows are times (730-8, 830-9, etc.) Then she has sticky notes for what each person is supposed to be doing at the assigned time. If somebody takes a break or whatever, she moves the sticky note to a later open time. (Reassigns the work.)

I wonder if you could set up something like that - a visual display that shows you are flexible, but if DH turns on the TV for the kids, or has them doing chores, he needs to find a time to move the sticky notes to. Or maybe you just need to make sure there is a sticky note with ample time for chores?

Edited by MeganW

Do you ever watch "19 Kids & Counting"? Michelle Duggar has a chart that I love! I don't know how to find it and show it to you, but it has a column for each person, and then the rows are times (730-8, 830-9, etc.) Then she has sticky notes for what eacy person is supposed to be doing at the assigned time. If somebody takes a break or whatever, she moves the sticky note to a later open time. (Reassigns the work.)

I wonder if you could set up something like that - a visual display that shows you are flexible, but if DH turns on the TV for the kids, or has them doing chores, he needs to find a time to move the sticky notes to. Or maybe you just need to make sure there is a sticky note with ample time for chores?

How about including DH on that chart as well? Of course you would have to include yourself too...just to be fair. :001_smile:

I haven't read all of the responses, but wanted to mention something that helped us in our house. My kids start Latin on 3rd grade. I so wanted to begin French when my oldest was in 5th. We tried it with PowerGlide in 5th, but he got very frustrated with spelling/reading French words. I decided to wait and try again the next year...and the next...until I realized that he was missing out on hearing the language during the time when he and the younger ones would be most likely to pick up on the accent and vocabulary. So we began using Pimsleur which is an all audio, conversational program. If I think of it, I'll request things in French or point out French words and phrases when we encounter them in books (listening to Little Women on CD now). And I checked out all of the French baby/young childrens books from our library. I even found some French board books (counting, things in the house, opposites) at the library booksale. I figured out a while back that books which have been translated from English to French are often very complicated for beginners to read (with the exception of Goodnight Moon) but baby books are perfect for us.

I also recommend a schedule. I make a detailed schedule so I at least have a default position to go to when we inevitably get interrupted. When the kids are K and under, I only try to have them do some math, some phonics and some writing each day (I use a lot of free worksheets). When they are older and have actual assignments, I still prioritize math, reading and handwriting.

And I see absolutely nothing wrong with using a CD if you have it for SOTW or anything else. We often listen do read alouds during breakfast and lunch. If I have to read it myself, I eat before or after the kids. But it's nice to be able to just turn on the CD and listen while I eat or take it in the car with us.

Hang in there!

It sounds like you want to do too much when they are still young. If you do too much, you may burn out. These are the stages in a child's learning where going out and doing things, playing outside, etc., it is OK to do those things. Your child's education will not suffer if he/she has fun at an early age.

I think it is great to take time to be with dad. I think it is great to take time to be with your children. Doing chores, that's habit training which is more Charlotte Mason. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Just my opinion.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I don't know if you're a scheduler or not, but I see that you've gotten several recommendations for scheduling, so just in case you aren't, let me give you my take on it, from a non-scheduler. I just can't schedule my whole day out like that. It makes me feel crazy. If you are like me in that regard, then take heart, lol. You can still get things accomplished without a strict schedule. I only have one I'm teaching, but I do have a baby who doesn't nap well and interrupts everything and a husband who's home during the day.

He wasn't always home during the day, so when he started being here all day it put a definite kink in our school rhythm. I still occasionally have to remind him that we are doing school, and no we cannot go to town right now. :D I think a little reminder like that would be in order for your husband. Why does he get to decide what the whole house does all the time? You're a family with 2 adults. If you know school needs to be done, then you have just as much right as him to decide whether or not chores should be done now or a run to the store is in order.

If he's worried about chores and rooms, then do that the night before. Kids don't get up in the morning before they go to the local brick and mortar school and clean their rooms and do a list of chores. They do that stuff in the afternoons. They don't skip school to go shopping. They do that stuff in the afternoons or on the weekends. Sometimes husbands who aren't in charge of the schooling need a reminder that their children's education is THE most important thing they are doing right now and that it IS their job. They can forget that when all they see is, "Hey, I'm home and you're home, let's go do X." ;)

To harmonize with the last two posts I should add that I have made 3 different schedules. One has mostly independent work (read a Bible study, handwriting, copywork, math review), one has our dream schedule including all subjects (history, science, Bible study, read aloud, etc.), the other has only the essentials (spelling, literature or grammar, math, handwriting) for especially busy days. We don't stick to a schedule at all for history or science but try to get them in at least once per week.

I am one that feels bad when I see what others are doing, since we are barely getting school-y stuff done like we should. DH is home during the day and it is difficult to get it done, when he wants them to have their rooms or chores done. Or he wants to go somewhere during the day. They are usually good about doing their self work by themselves, but I have a 4th grader who is not even on the 2nd half of Horizons 4. She worked it out to where she will be DONE with it by May/June, and will start on 5 in the summer.

My first question is, does dh want you hsing? That probably sounds bad, but I mean it honestly. If he wants this to work then you both need to sit down and define priorities.

For example here, there are chores he wants to see done, do those before I start hs. If I get those done and hs it is a good day. If I get those done and more it is a great day! My dh also doesn't like clutter so when I finish hs I call the kids together and tell them to pick up. They start in one room and work their way through the whole house putting all their stuff away and picking up dishes/cups and putting them in the kitchen so the only thing out at that point is something they are actively playing with.

In your case there needs to be days of the week, or at least times of day that is dedicated to getting chores and hs done. He needs to accept he can't decide everyone needs to run somewhere during those times. The flip side is he has to accept the fact then that his kids will be behind or have to be put in PS because of his choices.

If he is fine with them being in PS and you are the one that wants to hs then you are going to have to make it clear to him how much you want this and ask him to respect you and your desires enough to make some personal sacrifices. Set boundaries and keep them. Even when it sounds really fun, or is your favorite thing to do. If you stick to your guns he will realize how much you mean it and will probably back off. We all wish we had the perfect mate, but sometimes we don't take them seriously and they don't take us seriously. He has got to know you mean it.

That said, because he cares about the chores and clean rooms get it done first, to show him you care about it too. Then focus on hs. If you have the kids do another clean up round after hs is done (which should be quick because most of them are doing hs, then things should stay fairly tidy. As much as can be with all the people you have living in a house. The only perfect houses are of people who go to work for 8+ hours a day and come home just to sleep.

My first grader is not reading as well as I would like her to. She has problems with some simple three letter words, but can read 5-7 letter words that I doubt that I have taught her! Every time I say it is time to do something... she replies with "I hate ...." to whatever the subject is.

Just keep going. Only my oldest was the dream child, the rest have been delayed in reading. They will get there, but consistency is key here. They need continuous practice. One day off in the middle of the week and you take a step back.

My oldest was the only child who liked school. The rest don't. Some kids are just that way. Don't take it personal. Just tell the this is not negotiable, they can do it quickly and be able to play more quickly, or they can fight it and end up wasting a bunch of play time sitting here.

I have not had a vocabulary program, and I don't know where to start... Any help??

I wouldn't overly worry about this yet. I cover vocabulary as I read science and history. My oldest is going to start her first formal program. later this year or summer.

I also would like to start teaching my 4th grader Spanish, since I know quite a bit, and can speak with very little accent (so I'm told lol). She can take whatever language she wants in high school. I was leaning toward La Clase Divirtida, but I read in the Rainbow Resource book that it is very juvenile, and older children might not like it. I don't want to do Rosetta Stone, due to the price, and I'm not sure if it qualifies for highschool credit (I know she is too young, but I would rather not start a program that does me no good in the long run)

Honestly I would say nail the basics then worry about this. She can do something independent later.

I found out that they understand better when they have the audio cd of SOTW than if I read it. So, any read alouds will be done by audio cd... :tongue_smilie: Does that make me bad? I read really well, but I guess my voice just sounds like "wah wah wah" (best Charlie Brown adult voice) lol

Nope, you are doing what works. Run with it.

So, for the record, this is what we do:

First grader: Horizons 1, FLL1, OPGTR, ETC, informal handwriting, Sonlight LA (for the copy work), Spelling (I'm not sure, it was free online).

Second grader: Horizons 2, FLL2, WWE1, ETC, Reason for Handwriting (cursive), Sonlight readers, Sequential Spelling

Fourth grader: Horizons 4, FLL3, WWE2, ETC, Reason for Handwriting (cursive), Sequential Spelling, Spectrum phonics 4th grade.

Together they do Sonlight Science, SOTW 2, Bible.

Sorry this is so long, but I wish I had someone that could be my "coach" with this. My sister who started me with homeschooling has children younger than me!

If you made it this far... Thanks!!!

That sounds fine to me. I don't think the problem is with what you are doing, but finding a schedule that you both agree on. Overall it sounds like you are doing fine. You have a different lifestyle that other people you know, and that is fine too. The kids get to be around their dad more, and that is a blessing, but it also has a cost. That is OK. Each family is unique.

Heather

I don't know if you're a scheduler or not, but I see that you've gotten several recommendations for scheduling, so just in case you aren't, let me give you my take on it, from a non-scheduler. I just can't schedule my whole day out like that. It makes me feel crazy. If you are like me in that regard, then take heart, lol. You can still get things accomplished without a strict schedule.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I'm also not a scheduler, I aim and we get there.

I don't have much to offer as to the curric you're using because I've never used it.

You have a 1, 2 and 4th grader.

In all honesty, I think you're doing too much if that's how old they are. That said, I'm a firm believer in the Charlotte Mason philosophy and and that less is more. Despite looking 'less rigorous', it's actually very rigorous (I'm not trying to convert you to a different curric, I'm just trying to show you how less is more)

Looking at these, remember this is WEEKLY work to be done, not daily. The daily is Math, Penmanship, Phonics.

Year 1

To this book schedule should be added daily penmanship, phonics, and math, as well as weekly nature study, art, music, and handicrafts. Foreign language may also be started.

Week 1

The Bible

An Island Story: chapter 1 "The Stories of Albion and Brutus"

Fifty Famous Stories Retold: "The Sword of Damocles" (Greek)

Parables from Nature: "A Lesson of Faith"

Aesop's Fables: "The Wolf and the Kid" (pg. 7 in the Milo Winter version) and "Tortoise and the Ducks" (pg. 8 in the Milo Winter version)

Just So Stories: "Whale"

A Child's Garden of Verses: a poem every day

Paddle to the Sea: chapter 1

Here's year 2

To this book schedule should be added daily penmanship, phonics, and math, as well as weekly nature study, art, music, and handicrafts.

The Bible

An Island Story ch 22 Harold

Trial and Triumph 10. Charlemagne Protector of the Church (742-814 AD)

The Little Duke - first half of chapter 1

Tree in the Trail chapter 1

Burgess Animal Book I Jenny Wren Gives Peter Rabbit an Idea, II Peter and Jumper Go To School

Poetry of Walter de la Mare

Lamb's or Nesbit's Shakespeare: The Two Gentlemen of Verona

Pilgrim's Progress: about 800 words every week

And year 4

this book schedule should be added daily penmanship, phonics, and math, as well as weekly nature study, art, music, and handicrafts

Week 1

The Bible

This Country of Ours ch 29. The Founding of Connecticut And War With the Indians (this period is also covered in The story of Mankind by Van Loon ch 44-45 Religious Warfare, English Revolution, and A Child's History of the World by Hillyer ch 71-72 (67-68 in 1st ed) Charles I, Louis XIV)

Trial and Triumph ch 28. Richard Cameron Lion of the Covenant (1644-1680)

Poor Richard pg 11-23

Madam How and Lady Why: first third ch. 1 OR Explore His Creation

Couldn't Just Happen 1. The Universe and Its Origins: Counting the stars pg 8

How big is the universe? pg 9

How can we measure star distances? pg 10

Did our universe have a beginning? pg 11

Minn of the Mississippi, chapter 1, following Minn's trail on a map

Shakespeare: spread over the twelve week term as desired

Plutarch: spread this term's Life over the twelve week term as desired

Poetry: Alfred Lord Tennyson

Age of Fable preface

Robinson Crusoe: ch 1,2 (not all books have chapter divisions; spend 14 weeks in this book)

Granted, some people don't like using some of those books and switch them up, but if you look at the *amounts* read per week-it's almost minuscule. I mean, you look at two pages here, twelve there, and you think, "a week? Shouldn't we be covering that in a day?"

Smaller bites are better. The kids remember more and it gives the children time to go PLAY. Take an afternoon off and go ___? Not a problem.

You said your one child is having trouble reading smaller words and yet reads larger words? All of my kids did that. :D I think it's a hiccup in the learning process. They could read a three syllable word, yet forget the word YOU. :confused: Frustrating, I know, just remind them as you're going over it and it will work itself out. If you think it's more than a hiccup, then rewind a bit and reinforce.

Small bites gets the elephant eaten. You don't have to have a chart type schedule, just a schedule. ie: We have breakfast together, we get chores done, dh goes off and does ___ and Mom starts work with the kids. We break for lunch, finish up work and the rest of the day is play.

Edited by justamouse

In all honesty, I think you're doing too much if that's how old they are. That said, I'm a firm believer in the Charlotte Mason philosophy and and that less is more. Despite looking 'less rigorous', it's actually very rigorous (I'm not trying to convert you to a different curric, I'm just trying to show you how less is more)

Looking at these, remember this is WEEKLY work to be done, not daily. The daily is Math, Penmanship, Phonics.

Granted, some people don't like using some of those books and switch them up, but if you look at the *amounts* read per week-it's almost minuscule. I mean, you look at two pages here, twelve there, and you think, "a week? Shouldn't we be covering that in a day?"

:iagree::iagree:I have found that Heart Of Dakota is really helping me in this area. We still don't follow a daily schedule but we can generally get science and history done by the time the week is up because it is in such small increments in the schedule.

We will be off to using our own 4 year history plan when we are done with HOD, but it is helping now and it is good to have that example set for me for our future scheduling plans.

We are only half way through the traditional school year. It feels like the year is almost done, but it's not. Feb, March, April, May, and first bit of June. That is over 4 months left of a 9 month year.

As for getting stuff done, I find that it works better if I cram most of it into 2 days. Monday and Thursday are our big school days. dh is in charge of sorting out dinner and such. We spend about 6 hours doing school on those days.(with lots of 5 min breaks to run a lap around the back yard, have a snack etc...) Then the other five days we only do 30-90min of seated focus work. We go out to activities, clean the house, play and be silly. I don't know if that would work where you just tell dh, fine, but these 2 days are mine and we are getting work done.

Nicole

We're a full year behind in Maths! We were about to start Horizons 3B in Grade 4 when we switched to Singapore (and sorry, but Horizons in definitely not ahead of Singapore). We went back and did Gr3 Singapore. This year (calendar school year) we're just going to leap, and skip Gr 4 entirely.

Dd10 still can't really write cursive.

Our history has been a disaster. We just keep doing Ancient History. This year all we are going to do is read through every available narrative history, start to finish (I have collected four different ones).

And ds4? He can't even recognise the first letter in his name, and dd knew all the letter sounds at this age.

I'm not worrying about any of it. :001_smile:

I did not expect this to have two pages of replies before I could get to it! Because of that, I won't reply to each one :)

Thank you for the ecouragement and the 'pushes' to do what I need. No, I am definetely NOT a scheduler. I wish I could be! I have a NICE schedule planned out for the day, but something always goes awry. :glare: I have a kid who will finish everything before lunch, just because she KNOWS that when she is done, she's done! Another who will finish it quickly sometimes, and another who would rather I forgot about the school thing.

I have talked to DH about the chore thing.. I tell him that he has their nights. After supper, he can have them all he wants, and I will be in the school room planning out my next day. In the morning, they only have to eat and little one cleans after breakfast. But, somewhere between the "can we stay up?" and the "I don't want to eat breakfast..." just to say they are hungry later.... :confused: it goes wrong!

I'm just afraid that someone will test my kids (paranoia) and they will flunk. I already know that my oldest is not a good test taker (like her dad).

DH is on board with the homeschooling. I have said that I feel like a failure when my DD6 doesn't know the days of the week. He says that she knows the digestion process... she can find the days of the week on a calendar! He does not want them to go to a public school, at least not yet! He feels that we have better things to influence them with than going to school.

So.. can I say that the small bites eat the HIPPO? Elephants are sacred in Thailand and DH and kids are part Thai. ;)

Thank you everyone for the help... At least I can not beat myself up too hard.