Menu

At what age do you start teaching grammar,

iona

I have used Rod & Staff English for my three. Oldest started in Grade 3, middle in Grade 2, and youngest just started Grade 3. I don't think the Grade 2 was necessary at all.

I have dabbled in other grammar materials over the years: Essentials at CC, Shurley, A Beka, etc. I prefer the Rod & Staff to everything else, though. My dc are excellent writers, they enjoy grammar, and they have had no trouble with grammar in foreign language.

what do you use, and how has it worked out?

Thanks!

p.s. I am now very unsure about my sentence.

It would be grammatically correct if you were to write:

At what age do you start teaching grammar, what are you using and how is it working out?

or

At what age do you teach grammar, what do you use and how did it work out?

I think. I still my own issues with grammar, so I could be wrong. :D

Anyway, I start in 3rd grade. If they are an auditory learner I use FLL 1/2 and if they are visual I use Growing with Grammar. My goal here is just exposure. I would wait till 4th grade if we didn't have to do standardized testing in 3rd grade.

In 4th I start Junior Analytical Grammar, which is the program I really enjoy.

So far, so good. My oldest is doing Analytical Grammar and Classical Writing (CW) and the grammar in CW is known for being pretty in depth. She is certainly better with grammar than I am.

Heather

Anyway, I start in 3rd grade.

:iagree: We start in 3rd. Gently. Using GWG3. Of course, before that, we do the "Start your sentence with a capital letter. End your sentence with a period."-type of teaching/reminding/nagging. My oldest has retained more grammar with Writing Tales I this year than she did using GWG last year. The plan (right now) is to move onto Classical Writing (CW) after Writing Tales II (WTII).

IMO, my kids aren't ready for grammar before 3rd .... or 4th grade. My younger one writes better than my older one, but she can't remember the terms noun/verb/preposition or what they are (which we are also "learning" in latin). It will make more sense to her next year, IMO, when she has another year of maturity under her belt.

thank you for responding. i have fll1 and am not sure if i want to use it when ds1 starts 1st next summer or just wait until he is in 3rd and use something else.

i'm planning on starting aas(when he finishes opg) and wwe narrations with him this spring, so i don't know if fll will be too much. i know it is really gentle, but it is one more thing.

hmm....still deciding.

I think. I still my own issues with grammar, so I could be wrong. :D

Heather

Evidently. It's helpful to have a verb in a sentence. Or were you just trying to make her feel better. :D (gotta love typos...jk of course!)

I started ds in 2nd grade with FLL 1&2 and worked through it slowly, now we are doing FLL 3 in grade 4. It is going well, and he is starting to put it all together.

I was hoping to start JAG in 3rd grade with that being dd's first exposure to formal grammar. Is that too early for JAG?

JAG is a lot to take in if you do it at the scheduled pace. 10 weeks to learn all the parts of speech, how to use them, and how to diagram them.

If you took extra time, maybe only did one sentence a day or something like that I think it could work. Maybe added some cards like Winston Grammar uses and make it more hands on and a group exercise you do together.

But I think the author's recommendation is 4th grade and up. I am the type that would rather wait and have it be easy so I can just hand it to them and know it will get done than do it early and have to hold their hand through the whole thing. I actually haven't even started my 4th grader on it yet (my 3rd dd) this year, because I wanted to shore up her spelling skills some more first. When she does start on it this spring I will have her do half a lesson a day.

Heather

Evidently. It's helpful to have a verb in a sentence. Or were you just trying to make her feel better. :D (gotta love typos...jk of course!)

I started ds in 2nd grade with FLL 1&2 and worked through it slowly, now we are doing FLL 3 in grade 4. It is going well, and he is starting to put it all together.

What is a little word like have between friends? :D

:smilielol5:

thank you for responding. i have fll1 and am not sure if i want to use it when ds1 starts 1st next summer or just wait until he is in 3rd and use something else.

I've been going back and forth with this one too. Plan on starting WWE1 next year for first grade. We already do poetry memorization. I would prefer doing picture narration with the Come Look With Me book. That just leaves the parts of speech-type things in FLL to cover. Since it is only for exposure and not mastery, I think I can do exposure with School House Rock and a few fun games of Silly Sentences. I may throw in a couple of Montessori grammar "games" and have that be it.

Pam

With ds, first grade using FLL 1/2, then continuing into 3rd grade with FLL3. With dd, I started out with FLL in either 1st or 2nd grade, but didn't finish b/c nothing was sticking. We ended up with R & S in 4th grade & nothing stuck. We then switched to MCT partway through 4th grade & she started understanding/applying what she learned almost immediately.

We started in kindergarten with FLL 1 (First Language Lessons). That went okay, but once we were done with that, we were sooo ready for a change. We then switched to Growing With Grammar and are both loving that much better. We finished GWG1 rather quickly and are now on GWG2. I'd like to revisit FLL2, but do it super quickly. Once we finish GWG3 and perhaps FLL2, we'll get into MCT.

My daughter loves grammar and writing, so we can go through this quite fast.

I've been going back and forth with this one too. Plan on starting WWE1 next year for first grade. We already do poetry memorization. I would prefer doing picture narration with the Come Look With Me book. That just leaves the parts of speech-type things in FLL to cover. Since it is only for exposure and not mastery, I think I can do exposure with School House Rock and a few fun games of Silly Sentences. I may throw in a couple of Montessori grammar "games" and have that be it.

Pam

I learned all the parts of speech from Mad Libs! :)

I start whenever the child is a fluent reader with FLL 1/2. My oldest started it at the beginning of K5 and zipped through the entire book. My 2nd stated it 2nd semester of K5 and seems to need more of the repetition.

Once they finish FLL 1/2, I switch to a combination of MCT and Killgallon.