Menu

What is the best time for read-alouds?

FairProspects

We do devotions and a picture book or two first thing in the morning, to break up non-school vs. school time. Then, after lunch, we have been having our "main" read-aloud time. If the kids are squirmy, I tell them they can sit and listen or go take a nap. That seems to work pretty well. Afterward, they are pretty anxious to go play on their own, which leaves me with a little time to myself. That's what is working best for us right now.

We read aloud a lot .... I've found that the best times to read aloud to my crowd is when their mouths are full, so they can't talk! So, our primary reading times are at breakfast (we start early, but eat late) and lunch. I usually just eat after. I do like to read just before bed, too.

hth

I read aloud to older dd right after lunch, while younger dd was napping. When younger dd quit napping and was old enough to sit with us while I read aloud...she was too busy doing her own thing. :glare: For awhile I read to her while she was eating lunch, but eventually I just gave it up, although I did manage to squeeze in Understood Betsy, the Little White Horse, and the Chestry Oak, the top three Must Reads on my list. :)

And I was fine with that. I had read aloud many excellent books, dds were reading good books to themselves by then, and we were surely spending enough quality time together. :)

During snack time. I give my boys a bucket full of food, and I read books. (Picture something between a tupperware dish and those pretty bento boxes)

We listen to a audio recording of Daddy reading a chapter of our science textbook during lunch. Always one chapter, sometimes 2 chapters (approximately 5 minutes each chapter)

At night time we listen to a audio book on my ipad. Lately I have found I am done with BOYS at that time. So I like to be able to just listen instead of reading.

I love the idea of listening to Daddy reading science! I am going to "borrow" that idea!!!! ;)

We really have no set time. Sometimes I'll read aloud to start our school day, sometimes I'll read after dinner, sometimes I'll read while they are in the bathtub, sometimes we'll cuddle upstairs in my bed before they all head off to their own beds. So I guess for us, it's whenever my kids feel like being read to. Not much help am I?:001_huh:

Lunch and before bed. Lunch reading might be skipped, but bedtime reading never is (1+ hours). I have an additional reading set aside for the youngest for content subject as older one does most of her content reading alone these days. I start my 10am K block with phonics then follow with a story.

My older dd also reads to the younger one. My dh reads to them also during his lunch break.

First thing in the morning after breakfast has worked wonders for us. I used to start with math because that is their least favorites subject. There would be complaining and crying and fits over it and it set a really bad tone for the rest of the day. I decided to start with a read aloud so we could get some cuddle time in before we dove into our school day. I am AMAZED at how that has changed the atmosphere of our school day! We do math right after it and I rarely have complaining! :001_smile:

Breakfast time!

Usually my daughter gets up and has breakfast within a few minutes of getting up. At that time, I'm just sipping coffee and not yet eating. So I usually sit at the table and start off our school day by reading aloud to her while she eats.

When she's finished eating, we might move onto the couch to finish readin somewhere more comfortable.

She enjoys starting the day off that way, it's more fun than just going right into written work, it's just kind of a relaxing/enjoyable way for her to wake up and for me to start the school day.

longtime breakfast readers here! we read at other times, but breakfast is always a good time unless we are running so late for something that i am trying to shove shoes on their feet while they are eating. :)

another thing that works is while waiting for something. if i have my act together i bring some books with us in the car when we go out for the day.

Bedtime has never worked for me. I am not a night person, the big ones are too wiggly, the little ones are whining and wanting to nurse and I end up cranky. So instead around here bedtime is independant reading (I do like to read to myself at that time and nurse the littles to bed ;)).

The best time for us to read aloud is before they get out of bed in the morning. Everyone is quiet and still, and it is such a nice way to start our day.