Menu

Vocabulary Programs

Which vocabulary program would you suggest for high school? My rising 9th grader has finished through Wordly Wise, Book 8 and has taken some Latin (but will probably not be continuing with Latin through high school).

I am currently looking at Vocabulary for the High School Student, WordSmart, Vocabulary from the Roots Up, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, or just sticking with Wordly Wise. I am also open to other suggestions. I am especially interested in anything that will prepare her for the SAT in the future.

My oldest prefers Vocabulary for the high school student. I would like an answer key for it. There might be one and I just have not wanted it bad enough to get it. I think it covers more vocabulary and I like the lay out.

My second prefers Vocabulary from classical roots, which I like well enough. I don't make cards and such as suggested and he does fine just working through the workbook.

It's really a style preference more than a quality issue, IMO.

My oldest prefers Vocabulary for the high school student. I would like an answer key for it. There might be one and I just have not wanted it bad enough to get it. I think it covers more vocabulary and I like the lay out.

My second prefers Vocabulary from classical roots, which I like well enough. I don't make cards and such as suggested and he does fine just working through the workbook.

Seton sells an answer key for Vocabulary for the College Bound. Is it the same series? We couldn't manage VftCB. There were just too many long lists with not enough to do with them. We went back to Oxford-Sadlier. It's very easy to use.

Edited by NJKelli

If you call Rainbow Resource, you can order an answer key for Vocab. for the High School Student. It just isn't available on their website.

My guys still like Wordly-Wise and my middle son outright told me he's glad he went through book 11 this year prior to the ACT he took in Oct. He said several words he learned (over the years, not just this year) were on the test. He scored in the 99th percentile on the test - and on the PSAT Reading/Writing section.

The key might be being certain to actually retain info from the books, not learning for a test then forgetting. It helps to use words in writing afterward.

We had also already completed English from the Roots Up (books 1 and 2) in earlier years. I do recommend those, but not as stand alone vocab - just as supplements.

Seton sells an answer key for Vocabulary for the College Bound. Is it the same series? We couldn't manage VftCB. There were just too many long lists with not enough to do with them. We went back to Oxford-Sadlier. It's very easy to use.

That would be the next book up. Haven't used it yet, but plan to for oldest ds next year.

If you call Rainbow Resource, you can order an answer key for Vocab. for the High School Student. It just isn't available on their website.

See I didn't think to do that.:)

My ninth grader had been reluctant about vocab programs until I gave him Caesar's English last year. It was perfect. I think we are going with the second book next and then jumping to their "high school" materials. He is learning so much now and I love his enthusiasm. The mix of puzzles, classic book excerpts, introducing great authors so now he wants to read Moby Dick -- all because of that great vocabulary program. If you are interested in the MCT materials but unsure which level to go for, just give Royal Fireworks Press a phone call -- I have found them to be very helpful.

YMMV... aloha,

Kristin

• 3 months later...
I can't let a vocab thread go by without mentioning MCT. Not sure how advanced your student is, but vocabulary became real and fun and important to my ds using Caesar's English I and II. For more advanced students, Word Within the Word covers a ton of ground.

http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

I'm looking for something that I can use with my 7th & 9th graders together next year. Would Word Within a Word be a good choice? Is there a weekly pattern to the lessons? How long do they take?

Any other suggestions?

I'm looking for something that I can use with my 7th & 9th graders together next year. Would Word Within a Word be a good choice? Is there a weekly pattern to the lessons? How long do they take?

Any other suggestions?

I have WWW but it scared me so I went back and bought Caesar's English I & II. I love CE :001_wub: My ds loves CE. But I've read about many whose kids loved WWW and a few who felt CE wasn't a challenge. At our house, learning words like countenance vs. visage was new and exciting and enough. But you might ask over on the MCT discussion boards if you don't hear from those who love WWW.

Julie

Any other suggestions?

I don't see many people here using this one but we have used it from 6 - 12 grade with both ds. It is put out by the Great Source people.

Vocabulary for Achievement

Both of my guys liked "warming up" each morning by doing it first thing.