Menu

OPGTR -Do I need the combo pack?

AlisonK

I think I am going to buy OPGTR for my DS who just turned 5. The woman I spoke to at Peace Hill Press said most people buy the Combo Pack which contains the book, cd, flashcards and magnetic letter boards. My question is do I need all that? Or should I get the book and the pdf versions of the flashcards and cd?

I would love opinions from those of you using this.

Thanks!

Alison

It would be nice to have everything, but I don't. I bought the book, then got magnetic letters and a cookie sheet for them from Rainbow Resource. I make my own flashcards, but I still occasionally pine for those pretty, pre-made ones. ;) If you already have some sort of letter tiles, I wouldn't even bother with the magnetic ones.

I just got the book and used index cards and a pen. Since we got past the letters, we haven't even used the cards. I do use a whiteboard for our lessons, and now that I have the AAS tiles for older DS, I use those, but prior to getting them, I wrote on the whiteboard. My 4 year old had a hard time reading the words straight out of the book.

I just took a look over at PHP to see, because I didn't even know there was a combo pack. $55 seems steep to me, but I didn't use all of those items.

We had a magnetic board and letters already, and I didn't use/need the audio.

I bought OPGTR at amazon for less that $20 and bought the flashcards along with a big order from RR. They could very easily be made, though. And a white board can be used for lessons, too. (we did that a lot)

I wouldn't go with the combo pack unless you really think you need everything in it.

We just use the book. I have made some flashcards with index cards, and use magnetic alphabet letters we already owned (but not very frequently.) What you likely *will* need is a whiteboard and dry erase markers--many people, us included, use the whiteboard more than any of the recommended extras. I didn't even know there was a CD.:D