Menu

Describe your worst mishap using an immersion blender!

um...blending my thumb. :001_unsure: I usually run it under water while spinning to clean it...something wasn't coming out so I used my finger to get it...and accidentally pushed the button. It didn't cut it, but it hurt like the dickens!

Other than that, I LOVE them. In fact, mine broke a few weeks ago, and I miss it. I do reccomend getting the detachable stick one though.

My worst experience is when I pulled the blender up a little too far and some tomato soup splattered on my white t-shirt. Wish I had something better to scare you with. Really, they are just super easy to use and clean up--love mine!

Edited by Mamabegood
dang typo!

although she managed to get her finger stuck in it and went to the emergency room to have it removed. Very few people show up at the ER with appliances attached to them, they really had no idea what to do and in the end Maintenance was involved (unofficially, of course). Tip of finger broken, stitches, but no permanent damage. We still have the thing (or rather a replacement) and I love it and use it everyday. Just don't stick your finger in it and pulse the thing at the same time!

although she managed to get her finger stuck in it and went to the emergency room to have it removed. Very few people show up at the ER with appliances attached to them, they really had no idea what to do and in the end Maintenance was involved (unofficially, of course). Tip of finger broken, stitches, but no permanent damage. We still have the thing (or rather a replacement) and I love it and use it everyday. Just don't stick your finger in it and pulse the thing at the same time!

Thought you were saying she had to have her finger removed (amputated). That would qualify as the worst mishap. ;) Glad that wasn't what happened.

No fingers stuck in appliances here. Our worst mishap was when I was making a nice thick fruit smoothie in a real glass (as in not plastic) and forgot to hold on to the glass when I started blending. It started spinning and flew off the counter, leaving smoothie and glass all over the floor.

I love mine, and didn't bother to replace my regular blender when it died, I just use the stick blender for everything. I do like the detachable stick, but I will get one that can be put in the dishwasher next time.

No fingers stuck in appliances here. Our worst mishap was when I was making a nice thick fruit smoothie in a real glass (as in not plastic) and forgot to hold on to the glass when I started blending. It started spinning and flew off the counter, leaving smoothie and glass all over the floor.

I made a shake (Carnation instant breakfast, so it wasn't an ice cream-type shake, it was milk & the cocoa mix) in a large plastic cup with a narrow base (almost the same size as the blender), but had to keep a good grip on the cup because it seemed to create a suction that kept wanting to pull the blender down to the bottom of the cup. It felt like if I let go it would start spinning and who knows what else.

um...blending my thumb. :001_unsure: I usually run it under water while spinning to clean it...something wasn't coming out so I used my finger to get it...and accidentally pushed the button. It didn't cut it, but it hurt like the dickens!

My friend did that, and it did cut. She had to organise a lift to the hospital and ended up with stitches! Unplug as soon as you are finished using it so you're not tempted to try to this...

I was using the whisk feature on mine to make meringues. The whisk moves in an irregular pattern, somehow, so if you don't hold the bowl, it knocks it around. If using the whisk, hold the bowl. I had meringue from the middle of the upper kitchen cupboards to under the fridge. Inside the button that opens the microwave - which then wouldn't work properly. All over me. All over the kitchen counter. And the floor. It was everywhere. And needless to say, merignue mixture is sticky.

ETA: Probably my favourite appliance, despite the mishaps and dangers!

Nikki

Edited by nd293