Menu

so frustrated right now...

Last summer, my husband got a raise (kind of) at work, he was put on salary and told he would make $45,000/year. We got his w2 yesterday (so I started doing taxes) and it showed that he made $35,000 for last year. This would explain why last year was so hard for us. His boss/the business owner is looking into it, because her records show that he made $45,000. So now taxes are on hold while they figure out just what is going on.

Forgive me if this is obviously stupid, but is it because he got the raise in the summer, so that for the first part of the year he made less and so the year's final total was under 45K?

I was thinking the same thing, but if that's not the case, I can't help but wonder how you managed not to notice that he was making that much less money. Didn't either of you ever look at his paycheck and do a bit of multiplication to figure out that the number was way off? :confused:

I hope you're able to get everything straightened out, and that a big check is coming your way to make up the difference.

Cat

Forgive me if this is obviously stupid, but is it because he got the raise in the summer, so that for the first part of the year he made less and so the year's final total was under 45K?

We were thinking this may be the case, until his boss said that her records show that he made $45K. We were also under the definate impression that his final amopunt for the year would be around $45K.

Does he not receive pay stubs every pay period?

He has pay stubs available every week online, but since he has direct deposit, we don't get them, he has to go and look them up.

I was thinking the same thing, but if that's not the case, I can't help but wonder how you managed not to notice that he was making that much less money. Didn't either of you ever look at his paycheck and do a bit of multiplication to figure out that the number was way off? :confused:

Well, things did get better when he switched to salary, his checks were more than they were last spring and most of the summer.

I hope you're able to get everything straightened out, and that a big check is coming your way to make up the difference.

Cat

Unfortunately that's not real likely, but it sure would be nice :001_smile:

My dh's W-2's never match his salary agreement. By the time they subtract all of the nontaxable income, it's closer to 2/3 of what his salary agreement shows. I haven't received his W-2's for 2010 yet, but I don't recall any boxes that show gross pay on the W-2? His pay stubs, however, do show his gross income. Can you check your dh's December stub and see if it's the same?

Edited by Mamabegood