Menu

Science Self Teaching Guides recomm. in WTM

tried to use it anyway, for 2 of my kids. they were so lost. neither of them are real self-motivating and it was a time when i was (too) busy with caring for my elderly in-laws, smaller children and surgeries. we switched back to apologia (which my oldest used and did well with) and they're doing fine (not enjoying chemistry, per se, but at least getting through it)

My son is using the Geology title in 9th grade this year. We actually found it to be too basic to use by itself, but he's one of those bright, self-motivated kids. ;) This is how we are using it:

1. Watch two geology lectures from The Teaching Company.

2. Read a chapter from Geology: A Self-Teaching Guide, answering all questions and completing the self-test.

3. Read the corresponding chapter of Understanding Earth, 4th ed. (my college text).

4. Read/complete exercises from the corresponding section of Laboratory Manual for Physical Geology (my college lab book).

5. Write up any field trips.

Next year we plan to use the Astronomy book in a similar manner.

Edited by Melanie

My Ds used the chemistry one for "fun" along with a few TC videos.

We were going to use it for credit but then a friend of mine who took CHEM100 at college over last summer gave us her text, study guide, and lab book, tests with answers, etc. So far he is doing great... he is acing the exams without any difficulty. But the self teaching guide and TC videos gave him a head start.

My Ds is very science oriented so he had no difficulty with the self teaching guide. I plan to have him use the phsyics one for next year along with an old conceptual college physics book I found used for $2.

My son is using the Geology title in 9th grade this year.

2. Read a chapter from Geology: A Self-Teaching Guide

Huh, I didn't know there was a geology book in the set. I've looked at all the Wiley science guides rec'd. in WTM, and I got the impression that there just wasn't one for earth science for high school. I'm going to look for the geology book. Because I was also sorta wondering why WTM said that for high school, earth science gives way to the study of astronomy. I'm not sure why.

How do you like how things are going with the geology course that you have mapped out?

If I can't find other affordable options for high school science, I plan to use the Wiley Self-Teaching Guides, TTC, and lab books. (cringing as I write this....I have gotten the impression that the STG aren't popular here...)

OP, try searching "Wiley" or "STG" or "Self-Teaching Guide" - those are the words I've seen used here in posts about these books.

Huh, I didn't know there was a geology book in the set. I've looked at all the Wiley science guides rec'd. in WTM, and I got the impression that there just wasn't one for earth science for high school. I'm going to look for the geology book. Because I was also sorta wondering why WTM said that for high school, earth science gives way to the study of astronomy. I'm not sure why.

How do you like how things are going with the geology course that you have mapped out?

If I can't find other affordable options for high school science, I plan to use the Wiley Self-Teaching Guides, TTC, and lab books. (cringing as I write this....I have gotten the impression that the STG aren't popular here...)

We both like this geology course. It was easy for me to put together, and he is interested in the subject and is learning a lot. We'll definitely use the same system for astronomy, and perhaps physics. (I'm leaning towards sending him to the CC for biology and chemistry, but only if I can scrape up the money. I think what we're doing is perfectly adequate for high school study.)

I bought them all, and could not use them. for a start they have the answer to every problem right under the question. even a very conscientious student would see the answer while reading the question.

We ended going with WTM's second choice of Apologia... my biggest disappointment with thje latest edition of WTM was there wasn't a better science curriculum option.

We both like this geology course. It was easy for me to put together, and he is interested in the subject and is learning a lot. We'll definitely use the same system for astronomy, and perhaps physics. (I'm leaning towards sending him to the CC for biology and chemistry, but only if I can scrape up the money. I think what we're doing is perfectly adequate for high school study.)

I bought the book last night!! :D (along with a couple of other books I've discovered here) What kind of labs does your college Physical Geology book have in it? I wonder if they'd overlap with chemistry or physics lab books?

I have TTC's How the Earth Works (thanks to the super low price sale in December!!) set. I could see how what you are doing would be a fun course. Even if just for me. :D I could supplement with library books on topics that catch the eye.

for a start they have the answer to every problem right under the question. even a very conscientious student would see the answer while reading the question.

I'm thinking I might copy the answers to a piece of paper and use Wite-Out on the answers in the book. But that's just frugal-me and how I tend to operate.

I bought them all, and could not use them. for a start they have the answer to every problem right under the question. even a very conscientious student would see the answer while reading the question.

We ended going with WTM's second choice of Apologia... my biggest disappointment with thje latest edition of WTM was there wasn't a better science curriculum option.

I went through and taped strips of paper over the answers; it was a pain, but I'd rather do that than use Apologia.

I bought the book last night!! :D (along with a couple of other books I've discovered here) What kind of labs does your college Physical Geology book have in it? I wonder if they'd overlap with chemistry or physics lab books?

I have TTC's How the Earth Works (thanks to the super low price sale in December!!) set. I could see how what you are doing would be a fun course. Even if just for me. :D I could supplement with library books on topics that catch the eye.

The labs in my book would not work for chemistry or physics. Here are some of the labs he's done so far:

Building a Geologic Column from a Geologic Cross Section

Radiometric Dating and Geologic Ages

Problems on Contour Lines

Problems in Scale Conversion

Drawing Profiles from Topographic Maps

Geologic Structures on Block Diagrams, Geologic Symbols, and Relative Ages of Formations

Relationship of Fault Planes to Fault Traces, Epicenters, and Foci

Locating the Epicenter of an Earthquake

Spreading Rates on the East Pacific Rise and the Mid-Atlantic Ridge

Restoration of the South Atlantic Coastline 50 Million Years Before the Present

We still have to get through water tables, glaciers, mass wasting, volcanos, and the big finale, rock and mineral identification. (I just put a big order in at Ward's Natural Science - exciting!)

A geology professor at one of the local universities has a web page, and has photos from his class field trips. I printed a list and I keep them in the glove compartment. ;) At some point before the end of the year, we will try to get over to the Big Island of Hawaii to see the volcano. That would be a very nice end to the geology study. :) Also, we've been reading The Roadside Geology of Hawaii. I think there is a book for every state; you might want to check into that for field trip opportunities.

We are using How the Earth Works from TTC - bought on sale a few years ago! I love their sales. :D

The labs in my book would not work for chemistry or physics. Here are some of the labs he's done so far:

Building a Geologic Column from a Geologic Cross Section

Radiometric Dating and Geologic Ages

Problems on Contour Lines

Problems in Scale Conversion

Drawing Profiles from Topographic Maps

Geologic Structures on Block Diagrams, Geologic Symbols, and Relative Ages of Formations

Relationship of Fault Planes to Fault Traces, Epicenters, and Foci

Locating the Epicenter of an Earthquake

Spreading Rates on the East Pacific Rise and the Mid-Atlantic Ridge

Restoration of the South Atlantic Coastline 50 Million Years Before the Present

We still have to get through water tables, glaciers, mass wasting, volcanos, and the big finale, rock and mineral identification. (I just put a big order in at Ward's Natural Science - exciting!)

A geology professor at one of the local universities has a web page, and has photos from his class field trips. I printed a list and I keep them in the glove compartment. ;) At some point before the end of the year, we will try to get over to the Big Island of Hawaii to see the volcano. That would be a very nice end to the geology study. :) Also, we've been reading The Roadside Geology of Hawaii. I think there is a book for every state; you might want to check into that for field trip opportunities.

We are using How the Earth Works from TTC - bought on sale a few years ago! I love their sales. :D

Wow, this sounds so fun! I still can't figure out why WTM says that earth science gives way to astronomy in high school - does it not become as important as other sciences? Or is it considered a more specialized course by then?

I've been to the volcano on the Big Island!!! Super cool. Esp. to watch the lava flowing into the ocean, and walking on the hardened lava with steam rising from beneath your feet!

I still can't figure out why WTM says that earth science gives way to astronomy in high school - does it not become as important as other sciences? Or is it considered a more specialized course by then?

Perhaps it's because there are so many years of high school, and we need enough time to study the standard high school courses? I don't know. I'm not too concerned with what the standard courses are; we're homeschooling, and we might as well enjoy ourselves. I'm sure there is a college out there that will take him in spite of his interest in geology. ;)