Menu

What do you do when . . .

scrapbookbuzz

We're doing that this week. I've had her read to me, do a math worksheet, and do a phonics worksheet. Our main math and phonics programs aren't really worksheet heavy, but I keep other stuff on hand for days like this, so that at least something gets done. Then I find an (or some) educational video(s) online or on tv and have her watch. That's it, really. I just think back on the days when I was in school and we had substitute teachers. Not much ever really got done. My goal is mainly to be sure she's doing something in phonics and math, because my dd is young (6) and needs lots of basic skills practice.

I'd say pick the necessities and try to supervise from the couch. let them know it's a light load and the quicker they get to it, the sooner they can have some free time. bribe if necessary (i'm not above it!)

I'm sick today myself. I sat up and taught the basics, now I'm on the couch watching one play wii and one read and play with the counting bears.

1. Play on their sympathy. "oh, I am SO sick.....ect. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just do XYZ, I am just so sick...."

2. If the above fails, bribe shamelessly. "well I WAS going to see if Dad would get us take out tonight, but if you can't even do XYZ I guess we can just have those leftovers". Or "I will take you to ABC and buy you a jumbo chocolate sugar chemically processed whatever this weekend if you can just manage to do XYZ today without me bugging you".

3. Threats. These need to be child and family specific, so I can't really help you there. :001_smile: In my house it would be something along the lines of "If you can't manage to get XYZ done, then I am putting Kolya (older brother) in charge to make sure you do it". (Block ears from screaming and wailing).

Thanks for the suggestions, so far. Please keep them coming! As for the stating, "I'm so sick" probably won't work in this household. My oldest is not a neurotypical oldest child and therefore, sympathy and mercy are not at the top of her spiritual gifts assessment (kind of like her mom). I may just tell them, "You fight and you will.not.like.the.consequences." Given with as much of stern look as I can muster. And then I'll take myself to my room. Eventually, this stupid virus will go away!

In our home, privlages, like computer, tv, playing outdoor w/friends doesn't happen until all lessons are completed. My dd is an avid reader so I have been known to take away that as well unless lessons are finished. I have been practicing this for a very long time so it is well known around here. Also, bad attitudes towards lessons gets an immediate 25 jumping jacks or whatever else I can come up with that will cause misery. I'm bad:)

I've been REALLY sick while homeschooling before. I mean like teaching from the bed not even sitting up. Looking back, that was completely insane!

I would choose 2 subjects that you do not want to fall too far behind on. Math and reading maybe? Phonics and science? Penmanship and math facts?Then do the minimum for those 2 subjects. An hour tops.

Park the kids in front a National Geographic documentary for an hour. Then give them crayons to draw something from the show.

Your oldest can read a fun library book for an hour. Your youngest can listen to books on CD or look at picture books.

Add in 15 minutes of simple chores: loading dishwasher; folding towels.... and call it a day!

I was sick for a good two weeks earlier this month. I had my kids read ahead with their novels they read for history. They did a ton of review sheets for math. Building thinking skills workbooks got alot of use. My 12 year old has an online math class--he continued working on that. I told the three of them to give each other spelling tests---not sure how that worked out---I was sleeping! :001_smile: If your 12 year old has stuff she can work on alone let her work ahead in those areas, so when you get back on track you can skip those areas and use that time to catch up on the things she couldn't do alone.

Hope you feel better soon.

If it were just a little virus that I expect to be gone in a few days (or at least significantly better in a few days), such as a stomach bug, I'd probably just take those days off, since we are schooling year round and will likely have more than 36 weeks in our "school year" available to us. If I really needed to get some things done, I'd pick the bare minimum (3Rs) and get those done as quickly as possible.

Of course, my oldest is a first grader, so if we skipped a few days, it'd be no big deal.

So far, I'm ahead of the public schools in my area, as they had to take off a whole week due to snow days, and I kept schooling during that time. So I already have a good week built up that I could take off and *still* finish our semester by time regular schools get out. :D

Videos. My kids are 6 and 7 yo, so they still like Magic School Bus, Bill Nye, Discovery nature videos. Also, DH reads to them from a classic chapter book most nights. I consider that a part of school, too :)

Nothing bad is going to happen if we take it super easy for a few days. They're not going to bomb their SATs because I let them skip math and watch a few hours of MSB and Schoolhouse Rock instead, while I huddle under my blankets and feel sorry for myself.

Not sure what I'd do for a long term illness. Probably have DH do lessons with them at night.

1. Play on their sympathy. "oh, I am SO sick.....ect. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just do XYZ, I am just so sick...."

2. If the above fails, bribe shamelessly. "well I WAS going to see if Dad would get us take out tonight, but if you can't even do XYZ I guess we can just have those leftovers". Or "I will take you to ABC and buy you a jumbo chocolate sugar chemically processed whatever this weekend if you can just manage to do XYZ today without me bugging you".

3. Threats. These need to be child and family specific, so I can't really help you there. :001_smile: In my house it would be something along the lines of "If you can't manage to get XYZ done, then I am putting Kolya (older brother) in charge to make sure you do it". (Block ears from screaming and wailing).

:lol: Rainefox, this makes me lol! I like your style. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions, so far! Still open to more! I've come to realize that I need to increase my stash of truly educational videos. Thankfully, my 6 1/2yo ds is advanced in many academic skills and is reading at close to a 3rd grade level, so I don't have to worry about that!

Looking forward to more suggestions! Thank you!