Menu

Which program is best for visual learner??

happyWImom

I feel like I've been on here forever, trying to figure out what to use with my dd!!! We need a really good spelling program, and she can read okay, but needs a lot of time to really absorb stuff. We also haven't been doing too much "formally" with writing and grammar. We've done FLL, WWE, lots of workbooks, some CLE, you name it.

Anyway, I have been researching PR, AAS and MCT, trying to figure out what to do. She is a very visual learner, and does well with hands on stuff, so I am leaning towards AAS, and I know it's good. But.... PR gets such good reviews. I just don't know if it would work as well because she's such a visual, hands on learner. And would I do AAS & IEW, or AAS & MCT (probably best, but the cost!:eek:)

At this point, I'm about ready to give up and just have her use the bundle of Spectrum workbooks I got-phonics, reading, spelling & writing. I know that's a cop out, though.

HELP ME!!! Please.:001_smile:

Edited by happyWImom
needed to be more specific

I also want to add that I feel like I've put dd through so many different programs, I really want to pick the right thing for her now-and stick with it! And I don't want to wait, because no matter what I end up with, we will have to start at a lower level and move through it quickly so that she can be where she's supposed to be.

Mine does great with AAS and MCT, but before MCT we used Sentence Family and they LOVED it. I only wish I had analyzes easy sentences and searched for each part of speech as we covered each. That would have really made it a super program for us. I think we might redo it this summer, they loved it that much. All of my kiddos, then ages 5-13, did it for fun and the neighbors sometimes asked to join in - not kidding! We also did great with RS math but I switched to MM because I think the teacher involvement is different - less intense maybe - and I needed that with 4 kids all needed Mom the whole time (my 14 y.o. has special needs so no one works entirely alone yet).

Mine does great with AAS and MCT, but before MCT we used Sentence Family and they LOVED it. I only wish I had analyzes easy sentences and searched for each part of speech as we covered each. That would have really made it a super program for us. I think we might redo it this summer, they loved it that much. All of my kiddos, then ages 5-13, did it for fun and the neighbors sometimes asked to join in - not kidding! We also did great with RS math but I switched to MM because I think the teacher involvement is different - less intense maybe - and I needed that with 4 kids all needed Mom the whole time (my 14 y.o. has special needs so no one works entirely alone yet).

How is MCT for the teacher involvement? I know both my dd would enjoy it, but how do you incorporate it into everything? Without adding even more work for everyone?

All are strong programs, so you really can't make a wrong decision, other than just finding our something doesn't fit your style. Spectrum wouldn't be a good alternative. If you have to flip a coin.

The biggest differences is that AAS is incremental, covering one piece at a time in isolation, then practicing it with previous material. So there are phonograms you won't cover till much later.

PR introduces all the phonograms at once, then works with a variety of rules and sounds in each lesson. It does cover things systematically, but not in isolation.

Some kids need to see a step by step progression (concrete thinkers), and some do fine with seeing it all at once and then putting the different pieces into place with no set order (abstract thinkers).

We tend to be very concrete thinkers here, so AAS is the better approach for us. We probably could have made PR work, but it would have taken longer to make sense of the parts.

The other difference, of course is PR is also grammar, writing and such, where with AAS you need to fill in those pieces with other programs.

Heather

PR is working well for my visual learner. He "sees" the sounds through the markings and also when we build them. PR comes with hand sized cards that the dc move to form words, so they can look for what they want, then build it, including cards for markings. We also appreciate the markings when we spell things incorrectly. When we do an "as written" sounding out of a word, if often puts the whole picture in perspective.

I have a friend whose dc are ultra-visual and she lets them watch the DVD. They have done quite well w/ PR.