Menu

Aarrgg! Wwe1

bethben

My ds 6 does not seem to get this AT ALL. I am so trying not to lose it. Here's a for instance (this is much like all the weeks so far). We are on week 4 and he was supposed to name two people out of four that were in the story. I read it 4 times (just the part where the names were) - still nothing. He would say someone who wasn't even in the story. I read it 3 times when yelling out the names and reading the rest of it normally. Still nothing. I read it again discussing if this was a name? "yes". At the end of the paragraph, still nothing. Eventually, he got it and my stress level is really high and I'm irritated. He really doesn't know. He's not being naughty - he really has no clue. Do I just drop this for a while until next year? Help!!!

Beth

My ds 6 does not seem to get this AT ALL. I am so trying not to lose it. Here's a for instance (this is much like all the weeks so far). We are on week 4 and he was supposed to name two people out of four that were in the story. I read it 4 times (just the part where the names were) - still nothing. He would say someone who wasn't even in the story. I read it 3 times when yelling out the names and reading the rest of it normally. Still nothing. I read it again discussing if this was a name? "yes". At the end of the paragraph, still nothing. Eventually, he got it and my stress level is really high and I'm irritated. He really doesn't know. He's not being naughty - he really has no clue. Do I just drop this for a while until next year? Help!!!

Beth

How well does he read? Could he read it over your shoulder while you read? Maybe he's having trouble with the auditory processing.

But yeah, I'd probably drop it for a few months. It's not conducive to learning when you are on the verge of strangling a child. ;) I started WWE1 with my ds just before he turned 7, and it seems about the right level for him.

does he seem to have the same comprehension difficulties when you are reading other things to him, even for fun stories? If not then maybe he's just rebelling against WWE. Not that you should run out and buy another program but maybe talk to him about why the difficulty at that time?

I think I would drop it for awhile. Read books to him and ask questions. See if he is comprehending simple story books, especially a story he really seems to like. Then try again with WWE in a couple of months.

I know my son wasn't ready for WWE until he was 7. One day all of that really clicked for him. It helped when he was reading fluently and would follow the words with me.

Have you tried using a passage with easier language? Even a simple picture book might work. Build him up gradually to this level.

We're on the same week with my 6 year old. Last week was awful - the Rumpelstiltskin passage. I have noticed though that since we started doing narrations in other areas (history, science, reading), his WWE work has gotten better.

I still wouldn't be able to say "What happened in this story?", but I can get a decent narration after doing the leading questions.

Another thing that helped when we did narration of a chapter book (Boxcar Children) was for me to tell him the questions before reading, so he knew what to listen for. You might try that with WWE, and again, see if a simpler passage might help.

Auditory may not be his strongpoint, but through these narration exercises, you are developing that skill. Also, read aloud often and/or do audio books.

I've got great news for you guys! :001_smile: :001_smile: :001_smile: My son was the EXACT same way...really...I could not believe he could NOT know the answer after reading (repeatedly) to him the specific part he needed to hear to know the answer. I'll say up front, the good news is that now he ENJOYS and ASKS TO DO wwe2. so, let me back up and tell you how we got from there to here...

First, my son did have a language delay that I already knew about - so some of the words were just too hard for him to understand. Second, he was a "boy" and his attention span wasn't very long. Third, he was having a major comprehension problems - in everything. It was my first year of homeschooling and I was SURE that I must be a failure of a teacher!

We started to take his history lessons - SOTW was hard for him, so we switched to MOH hoping that would help...figured out the trouble was with HIM and not being ready for all of that. This was his first grade year (age 6/7 - turned 7 in mid school year). My son could memorize entire episodes of Blue's Clues when he was in preschool so I KNEW he could remember things!!!! I had to literally teach him to "picture" the story in his head. I made him close his eyes and I would read something to him - maybe it was for school or maybe I would just read or tell him a fairy tale. While his eyes were closed I would tell my story...I would pause and see if he could see a picture in his mind...I would ask him what color was the wolf in the picture...what else could he see, etc...Once he started being able to picture those stories in his mind, we were off to a great start!!!!

Eventually, he would be able to hear longer stories and take in more and more detail to add to his picture in his mind. We waited until 2nd grade (he was 7/8) to do WWE1. When I came back to it - - - AMAZING! Now I knew why people enjoyed the program so much! THAT is what it is SUPPOSED to be like! He would have EASILY told you he hated writing most of all that first year, not to mention the frustration we both felt - and yes, tears...I really did not want to shape his negative thoughts on writing any more than it already had. So, we set it down for a while, then came back to it.

This year, we are doing WWE2 during his 3rd grade year and he loves it! I don't think WWE2 would have been as enjoyable for him if wasn't already a good reader and speller...it would be hard for him to "picture" that dictation sentence in his mind if he was struggling with reading/spelling the words. I am happy I delayed WWE a year - especially now that we are in wwe2 - I don't think he would have enjoyed it as much as a 2nd grader.

Anyway, hope that helps. I totally feel your pain and remember having that same feeling that you're having because I SO wanted WWE to work!! Hang in there!

That's great, Jina! Very encouraging! I'll have to keep this advice in mind for my second son, as he was delayed in speech, and other things seemed to get slightly delayed with that (although he's catching up now that his speech has improved). He thinks differently than my oldest, and I could see him possibly having this issue in the future. I'm glad he doesn't start K until he's almost 6, and I won't even think about using WWE with him until his first grade year, and would be willing to hold off until second grade if I need to. He's starting to read (just turned 4), and he seems to be picking up fine motor skills easier than his older brother, but just general understanding of things is nothing like his big brother's understanding at this age.

Btw, we just did that lesson for week 4, picking out the names. DS got that question, but had trouble with the questions about jurors. It was clearly the fact that he didn't know what a juror was!