Menu

Food Processor recommendations

I have a $100 worth of gift cards to Macy's that I've been saving so that I could buy some new clothes when I lost weight :lol: Since that doesn't seem to be happening . . . I thought I'd use it to buy a food processor. Any recommendations? I'd probably use it for a variety of things (making homemade laundry detergent, chopping veggies, shredding cheese . . .)

I have two food processors and never use either one of them because it's a nuisance to drag them out and put them away, and I find them to be a pain to clean.

I recently bought a Ninja Master Prep Professional thingie at Kohl's, because I had a lot of Kohl's cash to spend and thought this looked interesting. It's sort of a cross between a blender, a smoothie maker, and a food processor, and I like it a lot so far.

Ok, call me easily amused, but crushing ice cubes into snow is just plain fun. ;)

My favorite thing about it is that it's so easy to clean, and it seems to do a great job on everything I've used it for, so far.

It was 69.99 at Kohl's, but Macy's might be cheaper, because I know Kohl's is usually a little steep at regular prices, and mine wasn't on sale when I got it.

Cat

How many cups do you think is really necessary?

You need to sit down and figure out what you'll be using it for. I bought a big, huge thing the first time around, and it was a waste. If the processor has only one big bowl-thingie, and you don't fill it up quite a bit, the blades won't be as efficient and you'll spend half your time scraping unblended food off the sides of the container so it will connect with the blades. Obviously, if it's too small, you'll have to do more than one batch of everything, and who wants to bother with that?

Another consideration is to try to get a machine that gives you more than one processing container, as if you have a recipe that requires that you use the machine for several ingredients (separately,) and you don't have enough containers, you'll spend lots of time cleaning out the container between uses, and in the end, it will have been quicker to just chop things up by hand.

One last thing -- make sure the unit you choose is easy to clean. If it's a real pain, with lots of separate parts, and hard-to-reach spots, you'll never use the machine, because it's too much trouble to clean.

Cat

Good choice.

A little late, but I love my Cuisinart here enough to keep it out on my counter-top:001_smile:.

Thank you for the recommendations. I went with a seven-cup cuisinart. Figured seven seemed about a medium -- not too big or little and cuisinart because I have one of their toaster ovens and it works great. Now -- off to practice.

I'm sure you'll love the Cuisinart -- I liked mine a lot when I wasn't too lazy to drag it out of the cabinet to use it. When it was on my countertop, I used it all the time, but when we remodeled, it was the wrong color, so into the cabinet it went. (The Ninja thing matches my kitchen.:tongue_smilie:)

Cat