Menu

When should we do statistics?

My ds is taking statistics at the CC (dual enrollment). He has already taken college algebra and trigonometry there and the statistics course isn't causing him difficulty. He would have taken calculus but it won't transfer to his university (will only transfer as an elective). I'm not sure that there is a "correct" order in which to take the courses. For us the decision was easily made because we do all upper level maths at the CC/local university.

Thank you Cynthia.

I think I'm less concerned with the difficulty factor than with the

break in the normal progression of courses. As in, pre-calculus

naturally follows into Calculus I and that into Calculus II, etc..

With Statistics, there will be a break somewhere in that, and I'm

not sure where the best place to have that is. I know that a

year of not doing the other type of math is a lot and may make

it difficult to get back into it so to speak. I'm trying to avoid

that problem. But I think statistics is a great course to take as

it's helpful in many fields.

I just took a look at the course schedule for ds's university major. Since he is concurrent, he is getting a few of the required courses out of the way. Here's how they schedule the math:

Fall (freshman): precalculus with Macroeconomics

Spring (freshman): Calculus 1 with Microeconomics

Fall (sophomore): Calculus 2 with Statistics (they list statistics under the economics department)

Each semester there is a math and an economics. I don't think that there is a rigid placement for statistics. The only prerequisite for statistics at his school was successful completion of college algebra. If you wanted, you could have your student do both calculus and statistics in one year which would give you an unbroken calculus sequence or it could also be put before calculus which would not interrupt the calculus track.

:svengo: Uh, I mean, no I think we'd do one at a time. :lol:

Thank you for sharing the college's schedule. That's interesting, but I'm

guessing it's set up that way for economics majors. That will not likely

be her focus, but who knows. :)

I was also thinking that it might not be a bad idea to do it next year,

but I'm concerned that there's so much she's learned this year which

will be used in calculus. I'm wondering if it's easier to take a break

between the calculus classes than between pre-calculus and calculus.

Has anyone here done it either way? Could you share whether it was

a good idea or not?

Stats is only available after Pre-Calc at our high school. Math-wise, I would think you'd only need Alg 2 first. Stats does use Algebra.

I'm having my middle son do it now - right after Pre-Calc and before we do Calc his senior year just to be introduced to Calc. We'll "do" the whole Calc course, but I have no intentions of him testing to get credit for it. I want him to redo Calc 1 in college as I feel seeing it twice helps better solidify it mentally. He's going to try for AP credit for Stats if I can find a school that offers the test. I need to write college board...

He's going to try for AP credit for Stats if I can find a school that offers the test. I need to write college board...

Hi!

Call now and they can give you the numbers of some schools that offer it. I'm having to drive an hour for my son to take it. There are very few schools around here that give that test.

Christine

We did statistics concurrently with precalc for one ds (who went on in calculus) and after precalc for the other (who did not plan to go on in calculus.) I think for a kid moving into calculus, that it makes the most sense to follow precalc with calculus.

Thanks Laurie. It's too late to do it concurrently with pre-calc, but I think her schedule was too full to add it anyway. Yes, going from pre-calc to calculus does make sense.

Stats is only available after Pre-Calc at our high school. Math-wise, I would think you'd only need Alg 2 first. Stats does use Algebra.

I'm having my middle son do it now - right after Pre-Calc and before we do Calc his senior year just to be introduced to Calc. We'll "do" the whole Calc course, but I have no intentions of him testing to get credit for it. I want him to redo Calc 1 in college as I feel seeing it twice helps better solidify it mentally. He's going to try for AP credit for Stats if I can find a school that offers the test. I need to write college board...

Our plan is for taking the AP test for statistics too. I would love to hear how your middle son does with calculus at the beginning of next year. Is he reviewing pre-calculus to keep it fresh, or will he just review shortly before beginning calculus?

I agree about re-doing calculus in college, but we'll probably do the AP test anyway to help verify grades.

Our plan is for taking the AP test for statistics too. I would love to hear how your middle son does with calculus at the beginning of next year. Is he reviewing pre-calculus to keep it fresh' date=' or will he just review shortly before beginning calculus?

I agree about re-doing calculus in college, but we'll probably do the AP test anyway to help verify grades.[/quote']

I went ahead and bought an older version of Lial's College Alg for him to keep up his skills, but honestly, he doesn't have much time at all to look at it anymore. He did when I first got it and didn't have any problems with anything, so I wasn't worried.

The first chapter in our Calc book is a review of skills. I'll keep the College Alg book in case he wants it for a reference, but in general, I'm not very worried. This guy is pretty math talented and has a fantastic memory (not just math related).

He also tutors his peers at church when they ask (math and science courses). That helps him keep up his skills too.

Hi!

Call now and they can give you the numbers of some schools that offer it. I'm having to drive an hour for my son to take it. There are very few schools around here that give that test.

Christine

Thanks for the reminder to call now. I just called and found out the private Catholic school where my boys take the ACT offers it, so we'll only have to drive 20 minutes!!! (That is, IF they'll let him take the AP test there too. The AP Coordinator still needs to get back with me.)

I had checked that school's website and didn't see AP Stats as a course offering, so I'm kind of surprised by the info. I do hope it works out though. I prefer it to driving an hour.

Thanks for the reminder to call now. I just called and found out the private Catholic school where my boys take the ACT offers it, so we'll only have to drive 20 minutes!!! (That is, IF they'll let him take the AP test there too. The AP Coordinator still needs to get back with me.)

I had checked that school's website and didn't see AP Stats as a course offering, so I'm kind of surprised by the info. I do hope it works out though. I prefer it to driving an hour.

NO Fair!!! Oh well.. Our local high school gives all of the English and history ones, but stats just isn't taken around here!

Christine