Menu

Any moms here run a small business from home or do home parties?

I just became a consultant for Thirty-One Gifts in Oct. of last year. In case you're not familiar - here's the link: http://www.thirtyonegifts.com. The company is wonderful and I'm having a great time so far.

My question is this: when do you find time in your day for "work". Do you put aside a certain amount every day? do you just fit it in when you can? do you wait til kids are in bed? how much time do you feel you put towards your home business? do you involve your kids?

I would love to hear your stories, the good and the bad, the successes and the failures. Being a sahm and a homeschool mom is more than a full time job, but my gosh I love going out and meeting new people, sharing the company and the products with other women, I love what 31 represents and it excites me to talk about it and show people the catalog and the products. Sometimes, I feel guilty that I love my new "job" so much!

I was a failure. I used to sell Usborne books. First, it was a bad product for me to sell because all I wanted to do was buy books. Second, it was just not a good fit for me because I am too introverted and the parties for me were pretty much torture. I have a friend who sells them though and is very successful. However, her kids are in school so she has a good amount of time to work on things. I would work on things after the kids were in bed but if I were a morning person, I would probably get up early and do it before they wake up. Good luck with your business.

I get up early and work before the kids are up. I have a slated 2 hour spot in the afternoons to work if I have orders and need to get them done or projects for the store to get finished that I haven't been able to. If I'm working on a huge project deadline, I sometimes will give the kids a project while I work, or allow them some computer learning time (they love exploring NatGeo and other science spots). When my DH is home, and I need to work, he takes over for me.

It's rare that I have so many orders coming in at once that I can't work through my morning time slot and afternoon one. My kids are also older, so are able to occupy themselves in the afternoon once we're finished.

I market wine for a company from Napa through home wine tastings. I really, really enjoy it and the parties can be fun, but I am also an introvert so the one I did with all strangers was just painful. I love teaching people about wine, but I am a horrible sales person so have not made alot of money. I've also noticed that people in my area would prefer to drink 10 bottles bad wine because it is cheap and easily available, rather than buy 4 bottles of good wine for the same price. I try to do my things after the kids are asleep.

I do run a large co-op (which is like another job) and i just take emails/orders/calls as they come in and when I know I have alot to do I let the kids watch a movie or do art projects.

Hm, maybe I should really try to get the business going again. On the other hand, I tutor in the evenings which requires my DH to come home early two days per week (not terribly early but around 4:15 rather than his usual 6:15pm).

I have been with a successful direct sales company for 14 years. When I started homeschooling I had to step down from a very well paid position because I just couldn't figure out how to manage it. Basically, to make it work you need very disciplined time management skills. I am only very part time with my business these days, but here is how I manage it:

Up early before everyone else - this is a good time to answer/send emails, check the company website for any news, place orders, enter sales and new customer info in my database and file away sales tickets and customer profiles.

Quiet time in the afternoon for kids- ala SWB rules. This is a good time to make booking calls. After dinner hour is another time I can squeeze in some booking calls. I personally don't want to hold more than one party a week at this point so typically I like those on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon. Sometimes my Director has Saturday morning events and I will try to utilize that instead of doing my own booking.

Always have business cards and catalogs with you so you can hand them out whenever the opportunity arises. I have met new customers at co-ops, kid's sporting events, the grocery store etc.

Also, decide ahead of time when you are available for work and stick to it. When you call the doctor or dentist they don't ask you when you want to come in, they tell you when they are available. Work your business the same way otherwise you will end up booking during times you don't want to. That leads to feeling scattered, overwhelmed and being resentful. Don't ever be afraid to control your schedule or it will control you.

That's all I have off the top of my head :) Congrats on your new business!

I just wanted to say that we LOVE the Thirty one Bags!

With that said I work out of the home but my 11 year old has her own job that I help her with when we are doing sales. And I handle all of the online orders or sending pictures,etc. I just fit it into our schedule. NOt a real set time but I do remind that them email is like a phone call and they must be thoughtful of me when I am on email.

Have fun!

I'm finishing up my third year with Uppercase Living, and have to say that for as organized as I am in my head, when it comes to practical playing it out in every day life, I'm a wing-it kind of gal. I don't have set times set up for "work", I just take care of things as they come up, or keep a list running of things I need to do. It works for me, but I have both the time to do so and older kids who can help with the chores/meal prep. as needed.

Belinda Elsworth (Step Into Success is her company name) has a great program called the Power Hour. It is geared for direct sales and helps you get organized and be efficient. Of course, it only works if you set the time aside each day to "touch" your business. Write on your schedule each day time for your work and make it sacred.

PS - I get nothing from Belinda. When I followed her plan, I worked better and made more $$$.