Menu

Don't think we are going to make it through Lial's Precalculus...

I don't think we are going to finish Lial's precalculus. We are slogging through the trigonometry chapters right now and it is taking a considerable amount of time. DD is a senior and did very well with Lial's Intermediate Algebra. Both she and I are really frustrated with math (and it used to be her favorite subject). She will be starting nursing school in the fall and will not need calculus. Therefore I am not concerned with the need to finish the text as my need for her to understand what she is doing. My question is: What do I call this on her transcript if we cannot finish the text? Would we call is trigonometry?

Thanks so much!

Jann,

If we make it through chapters 7 and 8 do I still call it college algebra? Or would I call it college algebra and trigonometry? Also do you have a recommendation for any place I can get better explanations of some of these concepts? We bought the DVD's from Pearson but it is just a person going through the problems in the lesson without adding in any real additional information for understanding.

Thanks so much for your insight. We just finished working sec.6.5 on harmonic motion. I just hate it that my math skills are so lacking. Calculus was freshman year of college in 1984. :o

In my edition (3e hardback) if you stopped at chapter 8 then you will have completed all of the Trig and most of the College Algebra...

If you could piddle with chapter 9 (matrices) I'd feel more comfortable with calling the course Pre-Calc...

It is a tough call-- as Pre-Calc texts tend to have so 'much' in them-- they have to cater to both future business AND future technical students... most Pre-Calc texts have about 3 semesters of 'stuff' inside!

If you finish functions, logs, and trig, I personally would have no compunctions about calling it precalculus. Matrices and conic sections are usually taught from scratch in further classes, as not everyone gets them in high school precalculus, and even fewer understand them.

At my grad school, we skipped the chapter on matrices and most of the chapter on vectors (because they teach vectors from scratch in physics and matrices from scratch later on). At my undergrad, we skipped the chapter on conic sections and most of the chapter on vectors (they were taught in calculus).

Chris:

My dd is using Lial's PreCalculus (Lials PreCalculus w/ Limits; A Circle Approach) as well and anytime she has been stuck she has found the Thinkwell videos very helpful. She has stated more than once that if there was a textbook that went with the Thinkwell videos she would prefer it because he makes everything so clear in the videos. She is currently working through the chapter on matrices.

Yvonne in NE

Edited by yinne

Jann: Thanks sooooo much for the Kahn Academy recommendation. We are going to watch a list of videos from there are well as go through Ch. 6 review problems. I think she is really going to understand it! I think we will be able to get through all the trig plus Ch. 9 on matrices.

Yvonne and Kiana: Thanks for the information. It really helps with the decision process here. If the Kahn Academy stuff doesn't work, we will look into the Thinkwell videos.

I love this board!