Menu

LL versus Excellence in Literature

My son is homeschooling for the first year. He was enrolled in a french immersion school for grades K-6. We decided to bring him home at school in order to allow him to work at his own pace. (He is gifted and easily bored/distracted if not challenged.)

We have been using MCT for grammar,etc. Although We have done some independent book studies (Animal Farm being a favourite) and are now on our second book in LL7. LL7 seems quite easy in its requirements with respect to writing and literary analysis so far (note we are not far into it yet). In looking at the Excellence in Literature website, it appears that they may be a little more challenging. Could anyone provide me with your thoughts on these two methods?

Thank you

I haven't done either, but I will be using Excellence in Literature for my 8th grade son this fall for the very same reasons. LL just has to much busy work, where as EIL is much more meaty. I really like the contextual reading done prior/simultaneously with the work text. I also like the independence of the program. We will probably go with the book selections in the honors category.

Good luck in your choices.:001_smile:

My son is homeschooling for the first year. He was enrolled in a french immersion school for grades K-6. We decided to bring him home at school in order to allow him to work at his own pace. (He is gifted and easily bored/distracted if not challenged.)

We have been using MCT for grammar,etc. Although We have done some independent book studies (Animal Farm being a favourite) and are now on our second book in LL7. LL7 seems quite easy in its requirements with respect to writing and literary analysis so far (note we are not far into it yet). In looking at the Excellence in Literature website, it appears that they may be a little more challenging. Could anyone provide me with your thoughts on these two methods?

Thank you

I think the Excellence in Literature books are excellent. We had done LL7 and it was really light, I thought.

I am doing the British one for fun for myself, they are very well written and easy to follow while being in depth and meaty indeed.

The only reason dd isn't doing them is that she is doing Omnibus instead.