Menu

Anyone been traumatised by simple dental work?

I went to the dentist this morning for 3 fillings- one was a small one behind a front tooth. As he was drilling away, he hit a nerve and I just about jumped off the chair involuntarily, shocked at the intense but brief nerve pain. He apologised profusely....and immediately gave me a 2nd injection. He worked on one of the other fillings, came back to that tooth again- and just the water spraying on it made me jump again. By this time, I was sweating and anxious. He said only 1 in 1000 patients needs a 2nd injection and he has never had to do a 3rd- but he gave me a 3rd (all different places). He apologised again (and I really dont blame him- I am a bit sensitive for some reason). I had this strong urge to phone dh and get him to literally come and hold my hand before they tried a 3rd time- the dentist asked me if I wanted to leave it, if it was just too much to handle- and we agreed to try with just the water first, a last time. It was fine this time. But then with the 3rd filling, he had to give a 2nd injection again. He said it was most unusual but he was sorry it hurt.

So, my mouth was very numb and still is a little, 8 hours later. But when I got home, I played on the computer a while, then went and tried to have a rest. I felt really knocked around. I couldnt sleep though, so when dh came in I went to tell him my dentist story- and surprised myself by bursting into tears- and then my body shook and shook and I cried for half an hour! It was as if my whole body was traumatised, and the trauma was releasing. I have never experienced anything like it before. DH just held me- hes good at that.

It was wierd. I am ok but feeling fragile- I will be fine. Anyone else get traumatised by routine dental work?

I had gum surgery a year ago - I don't even remember it hurting particularly, but my mouth felt like somebody else's afterwards, and it still does a year later and I get nauseated just thinking about it. I think I'd have rather the teeth just came out. And I am not a squeamish person AT ALL.

There are several people in my family who have that problem. For some reason, we just don't get numb like other people without a lot more novacaine. I've had two different instances where a dentist started drilling or pulling a wisdom tooth, and ended up in excruciating pain. Now, I just tell them beforehand that I need more novacaine, and I won't allow them to start until my entire head is numb. :tongue_smilie:

It can be traumatising. With the wisdom tooth, I almost passed out and they had to tilt the chair to keep me conscious.

Yes. It's getting worse too. I have to have at least 3 novacaines to get numb. The first one is always incredibly painful and leaves me in a cold sweat. When the doctor leaves the room, I have to literally put my head between my knees to keep from passing out.

He hit a nerve once and chuckled about hitting the "bullseye." I wanted to sock him.

My dh doesn't understand, he loves the dentist. They tell each other jokes. One painless novacaine and he is happy.

Yes. I had some bad experiences when I was younger.

My current dentist is awesome. He always starts a procedure by saying "You are in control. If you need to stop for any reason, just tell me.". Something about his statement helps and I repeat it over and over. Plus I get nitrous first, and I bring my I-pod with music. I still get mini panic attacks, but repeating his words gets me through them. They have offered me a pre-procedure Valium ( or whatever the current equivalent is.). Since that wouldn't let me drive, I've gotten by without it. But, I know it's there.

I know exactly how you feel. I always have to have extra injections. My dentist when I was younger use to not believe me when I said I could still feel him drilling and would tell me to stop being a baby when I'd get tears in my eyes.

Fillings were always excruciating. But, I was a child and didn't know they weren't supposed to be. In general conversation, I said how much they hurt and my parents were horrified. But, my parents also did the "Don't tell them they're going in for anything more than a cleaning" routine. So, I would get there and be gobsmacked by getting teeth filled or pulled.

That's why I think that finding a kids dentist who talks to them and explains everything is important. And I am always, always, always truthful with my kids about procedures. And we read books about them.

I had a filling done yesterday and it took two rounds of shots to get me numb. When it finally wore off, I was in a lot of pain. I really hate going to the dentist.

I jokingly asked her if she could put me out when she puts the crown in (I have to have a root canal and a crown done). No I wasn't joking, I guess. I was dead serious. But she chuckled. :glare: Anyway, they can do nitrous before the shots. I am seriously doing that for the crown. My DS had two caps put on his teeth, had nitrous, and doesn't even remember getting any shots. I am considering sedation dentistry for the root canal.

The injections never worked for my grandmother...they had to put her under for any dental work. I am totally afraid of the dentist..to the point my DH has to go with me and hold my hand. My dentist is very nice and even plays music but I still would rather gnaw my own foot off than go!

I had a filling done yesterday and it took two rounds of shots to get me numb. When it finally wore off, I was in a lot of pain. I really hate going to the dentist.

I jokingly asked her if she could put me out when she puts the crown in (I have to have a root canal and a crown done). No I wasn't joking, I guess. I was dead serious. But she chuckled. :glare: Anyway, they can do nitrous before the shots. I am seriously doing that for the crown. My DS had two caps put on his teeth, had nitrous, and doesn't even remember getting any shots. I am considering sedation dentistry for the root canal.

:grouphug:

I am sorry it didn't go well! That really stinks.

Fillings were always excruciating. But, I was a child and didn't know they weren't supposed to be. In general conversation, I said how much they hurt and my parents were horrified. But, my parents also did the "Don't tell them they're going in for anything more than a cleaning" routine. So, I would get there and be gobsmacked by getting teeth filled or pulled.

That's why I think that finding a kids dentist who talks to them and explains everything is important. And I am always, always, always truthful with my kids about procedures. And we read books about them.

My husband's mom wouldn't pay for novacaine for fillings for her kids. DH said after a few fillings, he learned to brush his teeth really well.

I think it was child abuse and couldn't believe she found a dentist to do it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

in my 20's, I did ok. I remember one time an xray thing hurt (cut my gum I think?) and I screamed and cried. The dentist came in to see what happened. The assistant doing the x ray said something and the dentist took over. and they got the xray and let me cry.

(I'm in my 40's now)

within the last few months......ouch. and yes, I felt traumatized and cried and needed help. The fitting for my crown replacement was trauma. That's exactly how I described it to my "counselor friend". I felt traumatized and trapped.

I don't think of fillings as simple dental work at all. Nor are crowns. especially when the crown comes loose and they have to shove it back in.

so a couple of weeks ago when they had to shove the crown back in... I took lots of pain meds (the dentist made no comment about amounts I needed. nice guy!)

and several days later... it was all ok. the swelling went down.

I don't get the panic/anxiety for routine cleaning right now. but yeah, I definitely had a lot of anxiety and panic attack symptoms this year at dentist.

:grouphug:

I thought I was the only one.

-crystal

Thanks everyone...I am surprised so many others find it hard too. I felt like such a wuss. I am going to take extra good care of my teeth because I dont think I will be able to face a dentist again for a long time.

My mouth is still numb today.

:grouphug: I've had a very similar experience. Even though it's been quite a few years, when I go to a dentist now, I'm always very nervous. And if they have to drill, I tense myself up and grip the arms on the chair. The dentist did make a note in my file about the experience so they would be aware.

Hope you're feeling better now.

I cannot stand the sound of the scraping or the ultrasonic (I think that's what it's called--it uses water and there's a horrible high-pitched sound) cleaner. I think it's the same reaction some people have to the sound of styrofoam or fingernails on a chalkboard. I also have very sensitive gums, and almost everything hurts a lot. I also had a terrible experience as a teen with a wisdom tooth removal when the anaesthesia didn't really kick in. I shrieked as the dentist pulled the tooth, and both he and the assistant nonchanlantly asked what was wrong. After another injection, they asked me to just raise my hand if it hurt again--yeah, right (I guess it doesn't look good in the waiting room if someone's shrieking in pain in the back).

So count me in with the dentist-shy crowd!

Something happened to me when I was 4 or 5 at the dentist. I'm utterly terrified. I've got things that need done in my mouth that could save my teeth, but I cannot bring myself to make that call. So one day the pain will be worse than the fear and I'll have them cut out while I'm asleep.

I'm sorry you went through that. No one should have to be afraid of the dentist. Unfortunately it happens all too often.

I've had similar excruciating pain from dental work. .. Some things I've learned:

+ people's nerves vary. . . some are harder to get to.

+ people's sensitivity to various locals (there are many options) also varies.

+ doctor/dentist skill varies.

I've learned to stick with ONE dentist once I find one who is wonderful. No changes.

Years ago, I had several years during which the typically used locals did nothing for me. 2, 3 shots, no matter. I felt it anyway. My dentist had to add 'laughing gas' (nitrous) to the mix & that took care of the residual pain. Not many dentists offer that any longer, and it carries risks.

More recently, the locals work fine for me, but I still had lots of anxiety due to prior painful experiences for years. My doctor prescribed xanax, and I took a couple prior to major dental work, and took a smaller dose prior to minor checkups. By doing that for a few years, it helped me release the anxiety.

I am proud to say that I am able to drive myself (drug free) to the dentist again, lol. (i'd still take xanax for major stuff like root canals.)

You've had a trauma. Try to acknowledge that, but also remind yourself that it was a simple and inadvertent painful medical procedure. No harm intended. Try to 'talk yourself' into letting it go & framing it for what it was -- essentially an unfortunate accident/side effect of a needed medical procedure. Life happens. Sometimes it hurts.

If the anxiety persists the next time you are heading to the dentist, consider asking for xanax for the next few dental visits so you don't spiral up the anxiety.

I am so sorry that you had a horrible time at the dentist. I go to a sedation dentist. I broke out another tooth this fall and had to have a root canal and crown. An hour prior to my morning appointment I took adavan which made me slightly loopy. My dh had to drive me to and from the dentist but believe me when I say, I do not remember any of the proceedure for the root canal and the 2 hour proceedure was suddenly over. When I got home I slept all afternoon. I had to sign a waiver stating that I wouldn't drive for 24 hours. I am also one of those people that has to have 2-3 shots to deaden my mouth but knowing that I will be relaxed and will lightly dose through the proceedure really helps me to not fear my dentist. Loreen

I see lots of people take some sort of sedation. I think thats what i will do next time- take some sedation before I go (and I dont take that stuff lightly- but will make an exception!).

I think what shocked me more is that at 43, I didnt really have a fear of dentists. I hadnt really had a bad experience- till now. But now that i have...wow, it changes my feelings about going again!