Menu

Earth Science/Astronomy curricula

foxbridgeacademy

I'm looking for an earth science (must be techy) program. Must have large portion devoted to space/astronomy. This is for a 4th grader who, when it comes to science, is at a 7th or 8th grade understanding level. My only concern is he is dyslexic and might have trouble reading some of the text in the higher grades. If anyone has any ideas I would be greatful.

Earth and Space can be from seperate providers, and I have no problem with a hands on, teacher intensive program. Must be secular. I know this is a lot to ask for, so thanks in advanced.

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

GEMS is an activity-based program based on teacher's guides; each of these contains a materials list, detailed instructions for activities, discussion questions and ideas, assessment and enrichment ideas, lists of fiction and non-fiction books on the topic ranging from picture books to adult level background books.

The earth science sequence is fantastic. I used it with 6th graders in a co-op. Their hands-down favorites were Plate Tectonics and River Cutters. The units are centered around the construction and use of models: model volcanoes in Plate Tectonics and a model river system in the other. They're fairly easy to make -- I am completely challenged in this area and was able to put a model together myself (I was so proud!) but had the kids make their own as part of the class. The activities stress observation, careful measurement, recording of data, comparison and contrast (charts or graphs or data recording sheets and other materials are included). The Plate Tectonics unit has kids erupting their volcanoes with three different batches of "lava," relating this to a demonstration of viscosity, modeling two different types of eruptions and relating this in turn to the types of rocks produced from each, making a Ring of Fire map (the directions call for buying a huge map, but that's for classroom use, so we just looked on the internet and made our own), looking at core samples from Mt. Everest and evaluating them, etc. It was the most terrific fun!

The space science units are fairly new, developed in conjunction with NASA. I've used The Real Reason for the Seasons, Earth, Moon, and Stars, and another whose title escapes me based on the electromagnetic spectrum. These units stress conceptual understanding and go far beyond the standard "question-hypothesis-experiment-results" model in terms of encouraging kids to develop observation skills, understand the importance of models in scientific research, discuss myths and misconceptions, etc.

This is hands-on science, so be prepared for some messy work, some gathering of materials -- this is the most difficult stage for me, because nothing comes in tidy kits -- and a bit of set-up. With a 10-year-old, you should be able to get a lot of assistance with this and with clean-up.

Some libraries carry the Teachers Guides, so if you're lucky you can check them out without having to buy first.

I like the God's Design for Science curricula -- Our Planet Earth, Our Universe, etc. The reading is short and divided up by age, and so your DS could read the first part (easiest) or continue on with upper elementary/middle grades if interested. Samples on Answers in Genesis web site.

Not a text, but a great supplement: The History Channel DVD sets: The Universe. My son (11) watches them over and over and over. They are perfect for a kid advanced in science, but not in reading.

I looked at Amazon, The Universe is affordable, I have some of them recorded, also recording Planet Earth. I went ahead and picked up Prentice Halls Astronomy, and a few other books from Amazon, Ds is very excited! Thanks for the suggestions.

So I settled on CPO Earth Science, and Prentice Hall:Astronomy. Hopefully that combined with any video's and library books I can find will be enough for him next year (we school year round, starting in May). Now DD, 2nd grade, wants a section on dinosaurs, fossils, and rock hunting, off to Amazon I go. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I looked at Amazon, The Universe is affordable, I have some of them recorded, also recording Planet Earth. I went ahead and picked up Prentice Halls Astronomy, and a few other books from Amazon, Ds is very excited! Thanks for the suggestions.

The Universe series is also available on netflix as instant play.

We live in the middle of nowhere so we only have a very slow and usage capped internet provider, so no Netflix. Believe me I miss it more then I thought I would. I was a Netflix junkie! We went without cable for 2 years because we had Netflix. Since we moved we've had to go without.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy