Menu

Providential History Curricula

jer2911mom

I know A Beka does!

:iagree: Abeka is one of those curricula that teaches how wonderful everything is. Columbus was wonderful. Life is wonderful. Abeka is what is wrong with Providential history curriculum! They do not show things for how they really were. They do not show the struggles that people faced. We started with Abeka <shudder> sooooo glad we stopped that the FIRST year we homeschooled!! (Absolutely NO offense to anybody who likes Abeka, it just did NOT work for us!)

From the Beautiful Feet Early American study guide:

"Columbus is another special individual God used in the discovery of America."

So, would that mean this type of curriculum teaches that the atrocities committed against the Native Americans were intended by God? Yeesh. We'll definitely be avoiding this type of history curriculum.

So, would that mean this type of curriculum teaches that the atrocities committed against the Native Americans were intended by God? Yeesh. We'll definitely be avoiding this type of history curriculum.

I doubt that, but I don't know. I suspect that they would probably believe God used Columbus, but that Columbus then chose his own behavior during the trip?

It is entirely possible that that happened, but I don't want to teach my kids that without any Biblical evidence to back it up. It'd be a good subject for discussion during the rhetoric stage though... Maybe even a good essay topic, when they're mature enough to know how to look up Bible verses that apply to the topic. :D

:iagree: Abeka is one of those curricula that teaches how wonderful everything is. Columbus was wonderful. Life is wonderful. Abeka is what is wrong with Providential history curriculum! They do not show things for how they really were. They do not show the struggles that people faced. We started with Abeka <shudder> sooooo glad we stopped that the FIRST year we homeschooled!! (Absolutely NO offense to anybody who likes Abeka, it just did NOT work for us!)

We use A Beka curriculum. I love their phonics and we use their math programs, but I do shudder at their history program. I also take issue at their assertions about the faith of many of the founding fathers.