Menu

Calling all tweakers: anyone ever "tweak" SL and Biblioplan?!

CarrieF

Okay, so if any of you have seen the thread put out today (or maybe yesterday?!) asking Biblioplan people to weigh in, that is my close friend, Jina. She has got me ALL messed up with history now! (Don't worry, she is WELL aware of her role in this mess!) DC and I have been using SL Core 1+2 this year and enjoying it, especially the read alouds and readers (who doesn't?!). However, as dear friend Jina pointed out, I have been tweaking the history and Bible all along, plugging in SOTW and MOH for the spines, among other things. NOW she throws out how great Biblioplan is and I am in a frazzle over what to do next year.

I WAS planning on just going ahead with Core 3 and I still LIKE that idea (it is safe and easy!), but the Biblioplan keeps distracting me. Not to mention, my DREAM of doing true, classical cycles . . . but I digress . . .

Anyone tweak and use BOTH Sonlight AND Biblioplan?! Or parts of both?! Or, heaven help me, is there something else out there that would bring these two together into one PERFECT history/geography curriculum?! HELP!!

NOTE: for what it's worth, I am not too keen on trying to tackle TOG, so let's not even go there! ;)

Well, just to throw a wrench in things, why not consider SL a buffet instead of a meal?

I have used Biblioplan as my main guide for lo these many years, but I have been known to add/plug in SL titles where appropriate. I've even been known to give SL titles as Christmas/birthday presents. I'm sneaky that way. It's not "use the whole SL or nothing."

I've even been known to throw in titles from Veritas, Landmark, wherever. Which would explain why several times we've had to finish history in the summer . . . sigh. I just plug extra "can't miss" titles where they fit in the Biblioplan outline, and off we go.

Well, just to throw a wrench in things, why not consider SL a buffet instead of a meal?

I have used Biblioplan as my main guide for lo these many years, but I have been known to add/plug in SL titles where appropriate. I've even been known to give SL titles as Christmas/birthday presents. I'm sneaky that way. It's not "use the whole SL or nothing."

I've even been known to throw in titles from Veritas, Landmark, wherever. Which would explain why several times we've had to finish history in the summer . . . sigh. I just plug extra "can't miss" titles where they fit in the Biblioplan outline, and off we go.

WTMCassandra, that is exactly what I have been noodling around with! I have already "tweaked" SL so much that I am not REALLY following it anyway! Biblioplan seems to offer a great outline for me to "fill in" with things that fit our family. Thanks for the "affirmation!" Ha! ha!

WTMCassandra, that is exactly what I have been noodling around with! I have already "tweaked" SL so much that I am not REALLY following it anyway! Biblioplan seems to offer a great outline for me to "fill in" with things that fit our family. Thanks for the "affirmation!" Ha! ha!

Biblioplan does provide a great outline. I used Ancients for the last half of last year and loved it. It is wonderful for combining ages, because of all the different spines and literature. I think you'd enjoy it.

Here's another wrench for ya!

After going back and forth about Biblioplan, EasyClassical and SL Core 3, I am going to tweak Guesthollow, I think.

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanonline.html

This way I have an editable document to keep what I want and not use the rest. Many of the readers come from SL and WP, and there is less to read than SL (which seems to be so.much.reading). I like the use of history pockets, too, which I can do with my to-be-Ker. There is science and crafts, which is appealing as well! And it's free, though I do plan to make a donation once I figure out what parts I will use! :)

Welcome to the dark side! Mwwuuaahhaaaahhhaaaa!

We use Biblioplan and I usually place an order to Sonlight each year too--never a core, just individual titles. In fact, there are always several books that are part of both Sonlight and Biblioplan. That said, I was always drawn to Core 3. I could definitely see myself using that one! But at the time I was a bit concerned that some of it would have been too much for a 3rd grader. That's what is nice about Biblioplan--with the different age categories you can easily tailor it to fit your kids.

I haven't used SL - drooled over it and used the lit. for reading. But, I have used BP for the past two years - more or less - and it is VERY tweakable. I like that it is only scheduled for 3 days - so I can stretch it to 5 or I can combine two light weeks into 1. It is very flexible. You could easily add to it or whatever, but the lit. suggestions are very good and very full...complete on its own...except for maybe some hands on.

After going back and forth about Biblioplan, EasyClassical and SL Core 3, I am going to tweak Guesthollow, I think.

This way I have an editable document to keep what I want and not use the rest. Many of the readers come from SL and WP, and there is less to read than SL (which seems to be so.much.reading). I like the use of history pockets, too, which I can do with my to-be-Ker. There is science and crafts, which is appealing as well! And it's free, though I do plan to make a donation once I figure out what parts I will use! :)

CRUD! I TOTALLY forgot that Jenn had that beauty out there . . . you're right: another wrench!!! Thanks a LOT! ;)

:iagree: with everything and I plan to do the same thing :lol:

I am another who did all kinds of tweaking to SL 1 & 2. I did cores 3 and 4 almost exactly as written--they are great cores! After tweaking the previous cores, it was such a breath of fresh air to just do them "as is." So, to spin your globe again, what if you just do 3 & 4 as written & then go to Biblioplan or something else? (After core 4, I didn't feel the love with core 5 as a core and wished I had tweaked it--this year I'm back to my tweaking ways with MOH with some of core 6 lit & readers and other things, which I'll continue for my younger, and am considering MFW for my older for high school, though I've looked at Biblioplan & some other things as well).

ANYWAY...decide what it is that you REALLY love about Sonlight, because that will help you make this decision. For me what works is: the lit and readers are, 95% of the time, great choices for us (I'll put a caveat on that & say, not the I Can Read It that SL produces). I also really enjoyed having a schedule for cores 3 & 4--not so much the day by day, though I followed that for history, but the one-page summary telling me what weeks to use the books at the front of the IG--that's what I mainly followed for lit & readers. Makes it easier to get behind or ahead according to a pace that's good for us, and just cross off a book if we don't have time.

You may or may not be looking for the same things that I am, but it helps if you can just identify what works and what doesn't, so that you know what you are looking for.

Some of us are just tweakers--you may not be able to stop that, that's ok! But you may also find something closer to what you would do--SL 3 & 4 was that way for me--and I can tell you it's SOOO much easier when you find that!

HTH, Merry :-)

Merry: No matter how much I look at other curricula, I just keep coming back to SL 3 & 4 because they look SO good! Thankfully, Jina (friend who got me INTO this mess! ;)) ordered BiblioPlan, so I can at least get a good look at it before having to make my decision. Great suggestion to decide what it is that I really love about SL and go from there, so tonight I will make my 'What I LOVE about SL' and my 'What I am not so thrilled with SL' lists and go from there. (Just between us: I think I am a pathological tweaker!!! Ha! Ha!) One thing that I am not sold on for SL 3 and 4 is the spine 'Landmark History of the American People' (I think that is what it's called?) - the reviews I've read have not exactly been glowing. One thing that really appeals to me about BP is that it uses SOTW and MOH as spines . . . I have a lot of praying and thinking to do!

Thanks for weighing in!

Merry: No matter how much I look at other curricula, I just keep coming back to SL 3 & 4 because they look SO good! Thankfully, Jina (friend who got me INTO this mess! ;)) ordered BiblioPlan, so I can at least get a good look at it before having to make my decision. Great suggestion to decide what it is that I really love about SL and go from there, so tonight I will make my 'What I LOVE about SL' and my 'What I am not so thrilled with SL' lists and go from there. (Just between us: I think I am a pathological tweaker!!! Ha! Ha!) One thing that I am not sold on for SL 3 and 4 is the spine 'Landmark History of the American People' (I think that is what it's called?) - the reviews I've read have not exactly been glowing. One thing that really appeals to me about BP is that it uses SOTW and MOH as spines . . . I have a lot of praying and thinking to do!

Thanks for weighing in!

We really liked Landmark here! I read the preface to my kids (then 3rd and 5th grades--the preface wasn't scheduled but I thought it was so well done that I had to read it to them). My dd who doesn't really love history said that this book had a "great hook." (SL LA 3 teaches what a hook is at the beginning of the year). My husband would also pull this out to read on his own. One thing I've learned is to check out a book for myself, because what someone else doesn't like might really work for us. See if you can see it at a conference, or at least find some sample pages online. Merry :-)

We really liked Landmark here! I read the preface to my kids (then 3rd and 5th grades--the preface wasn't scheduled but I thought it was so well done that I had to read it to them). My dd who doesn't really love history said that this book had a "great hook." (SL LA 3 teaches what a hook is at the beginning of the year). My husband would also pull this out to read on his own. One thing I've learned is to check out a book for myself, because what someone else doesn't like might really work for us. See if you can see it at a conference, or at least find some sample pages online. Merry :-)

My kids have liked Landmark, too. We did SL Core 3 last year and doing Core 4 this year. I found it to be a bit advanced (vocabulary) and had to do a lot of explaining as I read last year but not so much this year. I also wasn't crazy about it, but my oldest son loved it. Go figure.

Oh, I don't want to keep throwing wrenches (sorry - they affect me, too), but yesterday I saw this new book series(curriculum/spine) for American history:

http://www.queenhomeschool.com/productpages/History/livingworldhistoryframe.html

Sample pages here: http://angela-odellfamily.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20samples

Looks very cool and sweet!

Oh, I don't want to keep throwing wrenches (sorry - they affect me, too), but yesterday I saw this new book series(curriculum/spine) for American history:

http://www.queenhomeschool.com/productpages/History/livingworldhistoryframe.html

Sample pages here: http://angela-odellfamily.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20samples

I saw that, too! It is at Rainbow and it DOES look very sweet, but pretty solid as far as content. I am just a MESS with this! There are just too many good books and not enough TIME. :D

As of now (and this could chance several times over the course of the next few days!), I am planning on combining BP-3 and SL-3 somehow! Not sure how, but that is what I am thinking - take the best of both and put them together. Wish me luck?! :001_huh:

Ugh!!! I already had a plan for what we were doing for American History, but this looks really good! I don't know what even made me open this thread. I haven't used SL since PK and I've never even used BP. But...I do tweak. Just about everything! :lol:

ETA: Now looking for this on the WTB board. :lol: But seriously, thanks for posting this. It looks like the spine I have been looking for.

Edited by atozmom

Ugh!!! I already had a plan for what we were doing for American History, but this looks really good! I don't know what even made me open this thread. I haven't used SL since PK and I've never even used BP. But...I do tweak. Just about everything! :lol:

ETA: Now looking for this on the WTB board. :lol: But seriously, thanks for posting this. It looks like the spine I have been looking for.

Sorry to have thrown some wrenches into your works, but WELCOME! :D I am actually really happy with all I've seen/read about BiblioPlan, so I guess I now have to go back and THANK my friend Jina. :lol:

Happy tweaking! And please share any "finds" or insights!!! ;)