Menu

Malls in the SW suburbs of Chicago?

Yeah, that's the only one I can think of. Stay away from Ford City Mall - it's off Cicero, south of Midway. There's an OK mall off 55 in Joliet/Plainfield and Oakbrook/Lombard malls are not far from 55 (we got our license plates stolen at the Lombard mall). Not interested in driving to Woodfield Mall (Schaumburg)? The largest mall in the universe...:tongue_smilie: That's a very nice mall. There's an IKEA right next to it.

I like Oak Brook, but it is an open air mall. I also like Yorktown, but I don't know exactly where it is. (Probably Yorktown, huh?)

Isn't Yorktown the name of the Lombard Mall? I always called it the Lombard Mall - lol! :D My husband bought my engagement ring at that mall. :001_wub:

Isn't Yorktown the name of the Lombard Mall? I always called it the Lombard Mall - lol! :D My husband bought my engagement ring at that mall. :001_wub:

I don't know. My sister and mom always call it Yorktown. My sister lives outside Chicago now and my mom lived there when she first graduated from college. I just visit and spend money. But I love that mall!

Funny thing--every time I go to Oak Brook, the bank puts a fraud alert on my credit card. Last time, my husband called the bank before I went so it wouldn't happen. I guess I go wild at Oak Brook.

I can comment on some of the malls mentioned in this thread so far.

Yorktown is the Lombard mall. It's a smaller mall but still very nice. I've never, ever had problems there.

OakBrook Mall is the priciest, nicest mall. In warm weather it's just lovely because it's open air. Lots of nifty specialty stores and upscale stuff.

Woodfield is a really big, really nice mall, but it's pretty far north. Proximity to IKEA is a definite plus.

Further than Yorktown but not as far as Woodfield is Stratford Square. It's a big mall, and nice as well.

Randhurst is also fairly far north, and under construction, so I would avoid it.

I would avoid both Ford City and North Riverside Mall, which are both closer south. I have shopped in both places without problem, but neither mall is very nice. I have friends who really dislike shopping at North Riverside because of the "city" feel.

Of the malls listed, Yorktown may win because it's slightly closer than the others and, if Michelle and dd are planning to spend money, it's not as pricey as OakBrook. My other top choice is OakBrook for sheer fun looking at the upscale stuff and atmosphere. (I always spend waaaaaay too much time in Williams-Sonoma drooling over the cooking stuff.)