Menu

Why are acrylic baby blankets so expensive??

(yes, I'm a board hog tonight)

I'm looking for a vintage style acrylic baby blanket for DS, WITH the nylon edge. Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bright-Future-Blue-Acrylic-Waffle-Weave-Crib-Blanket-/220727452387?pt=US_Baby_Blankets&hash=item336461a2e3

I was hoping to spend like $10.....maybe $15. No way would I spend $50. I can find them for $20-$25, but that's as cheap as they go. Ugh!!!!

Wow. My four youngest girls each had one of those blankets. Some of them had two. The 17 year old wore one out and still has her second one folded and saved in a plastic bag. The binding has fallen off and it is pretty thread bare but she really loved on it. The youngest two still have theirs as well and they are still in excellent condition with bindings still attached. I know that I didn't pay more than $5 or $10 at the most but then that was between 11 and 19 years ago. I have no idea why in the world they would cost that much money.

The original company that made these ubiquitous blankies, Baby Morgan, went out of business a while back. The remaining stocks of Baby Morgan blankets were snapped up very quickly, and they have not been available in stores in years. Supposedly, however, in the last couple of years, another company has been making the "Bright Futures" blanket, which is what is in the e-bay ad, and I hear that they are identical to the original Baby Morgans. Last time I checked, which was a year or so ago, the Bright Futures blankets were still being made and available in stores, like Toys"R"Us, but maybe they, too, have been discontinued. My guess is that they are still available in stores, but the e-bay seller is hoping to capitalize on the Baby Morgan blanket shortage to get a higher price. But that is just a guess. Or maybe Bright Futures is also out of business now?

I learned all of this from e-bay and Google a couple of years ago, when I was looking to replace some blankies, so my info is both (1) unreliable and (2) old.

Terri

Terri

I did find some of the Bright Futures ones on ebay for $25-$50.....still more than I had expected, but maybe what I will end up spending/doing.

I'm a little partial to the acrylic ones with the nylon (vs satin or ribbon) edging. DS has a strong love for them....which he *ahem* learned somewhere, but we won't mention where ;)