Menu

Kinder kid slowing down in MUS math

mom24boys

My ds5 has completed MUS Primer and moved on to Alpha. He breezed through primer and enjoyed himself. :001_smile: We are now on chapter 9 of Alpha and he isn't getting it. He can do the problems with the blocks, but I can tell he isn't really making the connection. Because of this he isn't liking math as much as he used to. :crying: This all started with the "what # plus 5 equals 7" type problems, aka solving for the unknown.

I really think we just need to slow down and do something else for a while. Something to increase his confidence again. So I bought Math Mammoth 1st grade. I have a ds7 is in first grade (MUS Beta) that can use it as review/fun as well. I didn't see a Kindergarten package for them. At the beginning of 1st grade it has a Kindergarten review for 7 pages so I thought we'd start with that but we might run into the same maturity issues.

So, what should I do after the MM Kinder review? I want to reinforce what we've learned. MUS doesn't do time or money so that would also be good to teach, but I need it at a Kindergarten or maybe 1st grade level. Suggestions? :confused:

Thanks!

We are using MUS Alpha and Singapore 1A/1B (US Edition) together and they are complimenting each other nicely. We do 2 days of each per week and one day of math games, extra books (Sir Cumference, etc.), and fun drills. I started this because I simply couldn't pick one and didn't trust myself. (Math is not my thing.) But it has worked so well that we plan to continue this for second grade with MUS Beta and Singapore 2A/2B.

I loved Rightstart A with my kinder. So fun. He begged to do the games. begged. We moved on to B and loved it. I had used MUS with my girls and gotten to the same place you have. That never happened with RS. I only switched him to try to simplify life a bit with 3 others needing math help too.

ever understood those solve for the unknown questions--- AT ALL. I just always let them use the blocks and move on. I am not sure that if he's not getting those problems in particular, it is a sign of unreadiness. He will see them again and again and it will eventually click. Is he getting his facts? That is what I would be more concerned with at this stage in the game. Just my .02 for what it is worth. ;)