Menu

WWYD? - MIL sent b-day money to one son and not the other

I really think it was an oversight on her part. She is almost 80, and was moving over my older son's birthday in December and told him his card would be a bit late. She doesn't have much money to begin with so he was actually pretty good about not being disappointed, though he asks sometimes when it will get here.

My younger ds' birthday is Friday and I just got a card and check for him for $10. I know my older ds will be hurt at not receiving a card and money. Like I said, it is probably an oversight, she didn't send anything at Christmas and we are fine with it.

I am wondering if I should wait a few days to see if she sends his before showing younger ds, or even if I should just tell older ds that his money was there too and give him $10. Is it wrong to lie in this situation? I am not sure if I want dh to bring it up to her because she probably can't spare it so I would be happy to just pay, but then if ds thanks her later it may get awkward. She lives across the country so we won't see her until this summer. Or should I just explain the situation to older ds? He is 9. Or we could tell him the truth and give him $10 ourselves.

Tell the truth and also tell him that sometimes when you are 80 that you can forget things--even important things. This is about teaching understanding of others and extending grace.

Give him $10 from you to even it out.

I agree with pp: I think it's fine if he thanks her as she probably thinks she sent it.

I'd tell the truth and give him an equal amount.

I would do the same. I have always believed that it is important for my boys to understand the health and mental state of our older relatives and friends. Sometimes that is difficult, but I have found that it has helped them to be more compassionate young men.

I'd give it to him and say the money was in there for both.

If he thanks her later she'll probably just think she did send it, since she obviously intended to.

No sense having anyone's feelings hurt or embarrassed over it, in my opinion.

:iagree:

I have been in the same boat with my dear grandma. I just gave the kids the $ she normally gives them and told them she was struggling with memory and didn't send their card. They know she loves them dearly, and I know she would want them to have the money. We don't do allowances so they kind of count on bday money to buy the things they dream about. So I don't mind kind of helping my grandma out when she forgets.

:iagree:Don't make an issue where there is no issue.

Tell the truth and also tell him that sometimes when you are 80 that you can forget things--even important things. This is about teaching understanding of others and extending grace.

I agree with pp: I think it's fine if he thanks her as she probably thinks she sent it.

:iagree:

One time, when I was about that age, we were visiting my grandma in her late 90's. She spent a good hour looking for some presents she said she had for us. After we left my dad said that she probably didn't really have presents, but was remembering something she had already given us before. We were disappointed, but ok with it. He did a pretty good job explaining oldness to us, though. (When she died none of us were surprised. For years he told us it could be the last time we saw her every time we went to visit.)

I'd give him $10 but I wouldn't lie about it.

:iagree:He's old enough to realize that an 80 year old woman may forget something and that it has nothing to do with him. There should be no hurt feelings. If you are smiling about it, he will too. Just remind him of how much grama loves him.

I really think it was an oversight on her part. She is almost 80, and was moving over my older son's birthday in December and told him his card would be a bit late. She doesn't have much money to begin with so he was actually pretty good about not being disappointed, though he asks sometimes when it will get here.

My younger ds' birthday is Friday and I just got a card and check for him for $10. I know my older ds will be hurt at not receiving a card and money. Like I said, it is probably an oversight, she didn't send anything at Christmas and we are fine with it.

I am wondering if I should wait a few days to see if she sends his before showing younger ds, or even if I should just tell older ds that his money was there too and give him $10. Is it wrong to lie in this situation? I am not sure if I want dh to bring it up to her because she probably can't spare it so I would be happy to just pay, but then if ds thanks her later it may get awkward. She lives across the country so we won't see her until this summer. Or should I just explain the situation to older ds? He is 9. Or we could tell him the truth and give him $10 ourselves.

Just my 2c.. tell him the truth and give him $10 yourself. It's not a bad thing for a kid to learn that older folk are forgetful and that we should have a kindly heart towards anyone's mistakes.

The other alternative is to talk to your younger ds about the situation and see if/suggest he will share his $10.

my DS is the only grandchild and mother-in-law was overwhelmed with life (not wanting us to help her) and totally forgot DS birthday. Despite the fact that he knew she was having problems and not wanting help, it was upsetting not to get a birthday gift or a call on his birthday.