Menu

My 9yo has depression..I'm sure of it.

ARGH! We have been dealing with anxiety/insomnia for over a year now. He has been seeing a therapist for about 6 months. Lately he "has a feeling that he can't explain...sorta sad but not....sorta mad, but not" He says he feels like he wants to cry but doesn't know why etc.

I've ordered mindsoothe Jr which has st johns wort and passion flower.

Anyone use this?

Anyone ever has to medicate a child for depression???

Thanks.

I have no advice for you, just :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm glad you were observant enough to realize that there was a problem, and that you're doing everything you can to help your ds.

Has he seen a doctor to have some bloodwork done? An allergist? A nutritionist? All sorts of things can cause depression, and the solution may be less about therapy and more about things like dietary changes. Obviously, my ideas don't apply if you can pinpoint a cause or trigger for the depression, though.

Cat

I would talk with the therapist. A lot of children with depression are irritable/angry rather than what we think of as depressed. I would let the therapist know what your child said and talk with him/her about whether this is a new expression of anxiety or whether it is depression. Is your child receiving cognitive behavioral therapy? That is the clinical gold standard for anxiety or depression.

I would be careful about herbal medication, especially with a child, since their body weights are so low compared to adults'. There has been some stuff in the news about St. Johns' Wort lately. ( I tried to google to find what I was vaguely remembering. I just posted a selection below) One issue, imo, is that there is no way to know for sure what the intensity of the dose is. Since there is not standardization of the dosage and since the companies aren't regulated, you don't know what you're getting each time.

Efficacy: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/st-johns-wort/NS_patient-stjohnswort/DSECTION=evidence

Interesting blog about efficacy: http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/2009/07/st-johns-wort-perfect-antidepressant-if.html (be sure to read comments as well)

http://news.injuryboard.com/st-johns-wort-the-cataract-connection-.aspx?googleid=275616

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2010/06/05/seeking-science-on-st-johns-wort/

:grouphug:I am a therapist and have a 9 year old client who has just started antidepressants. He is truly depressed and having difficulty coping. He cries in session about very minor issues and is clearly in a lot of distress on a daily basis. The family held off on meds and tried changing other circumstances to see if they made a difference, but he remains depressed so they have chosen to start meds.

I would make sure to have a full physical done--including blood work for things like thyroid, anemia, Vit. D, blood sugars, etc.

Has he had a sleep study done for the insomnia? Any mouth breathing or other signs of overly large tonsils and adenoids?

I would want to rule out physical causes first and then if needed see a pediatric psychiatrist if more help is needed.

Lots of outdoor activity, higher protein and high levels of fish oil can be helpful as well.

ARGH! We have been dealing with anxiety/insomnia for over a year now. He has been seeing a therapist for about 6 months. Lately he "has a feeling that he can't explain...sorta sad but not....sorta mad, but not" He says he feels like he wants to cry but doesn't know why etc.

I've ordered mindsoothe Jr which has st johns wort and passion flower.

Anyone use this?

Anyone ever has to medicate a child for depression???

Thanks.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here, and you've probably already tried this, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

My dd has had anxiety & insomnia for a long time. Most nights, it would take her hours to fall asleep, then it wasn't a real deep sleep, she would have nightmares, wake up, etc.... We've tried vitamins, warm milk, relaxation tapes, breathing exercises, white noise machines-you name it. She is seeing a Cognative Behavior Therapist now, for the anxiety, and he is helping. Right off the bat, he suggested melatonin.

It has been like a miracle for us!!! Whether it's physically doing something, or acting like a placebo, I don't care. She falls asleep in less than a half hour, and sleeps until morning, most nights. It has made a world of difference. She still has her anxiety issues, and we are working on them, but even they don't seem as bad. She doesn't lay there at night worrying & stewing about things, and they then don't carry over into the next day.

If you've already tried it, sorry, but if not, check with your doctor about it.

:grouphug::grouphug: I know how hard it is for you all.

It could also be anxiety about not being able to do what folks think he should be able to do.

There could be ADD, which again makes him feel bad about not being able to do what people expect him to do, which makes him feel guilty and sad, which makes him depressed.

I would not give anything to this child until he is seen by a pediatric neurologist a children's hospital. You do not want to be effing around with various meds that don't address the underlying issue.

We have been using melatonin for nearly a year. I buy it in the liquid form, and he takes 1/2 to 1 mg most nights. I try to use benadryl sometimes as well, as the melatonin does give him lots of dreams.

He is in CBT with the therapist. He knows what to do/try, but once he gets these "feelings", all is lost.

I'm thinking that the deprssion is what caused the anxiety or vice versa. We had a terrible year in 2009 and into 2010. He began having terrible insomnia and motor tics. Through waching diet and getting good sleep, the tic have stopped completely. He is FAR less anxious...and even a bit more adventurous then he has ever been now.

What we are now dealing with is what really appears to be depression. I have depression and take citalopram, so I know what it feels like.

He says, "I'm getting that feeling again. It feels sorta mad and sorta sad....but I'm not mad or sad." (Then comes the tears and clenching teeth) "I'm feeling very mad that I have this feeling!!! I don't want to feel this way!" He is VERY disturbed by his feelings/thoughts.

I have noticed that he is worse when he is having to do something that he doesn't want to do....like math, going to sleep, chores etc. The thing is....he has always been very obedient, smart, good etc. NO behavior trouble from him sinc birth! It seems to also peak if allergens are high and if we've been eating out alot.

I would be interested in hearing others experiences with medicating kids for this. You can PM me if you like.

I told him that it's not his fault, and that his brain is tricking him into feeling this way because some things have gotten a little mixed up in there. I told him that we can fix it, and he was comforted by that.

My poor baby :confused:

I think physical activity can often be very helpful. Is he able to be active daily? I don't even mean organized activites like Judo or swin team...I mean free form activity where he doesn't have to try to be attentive to direction...shooting hoops, running around the yard or park playing with friends, shoveling, sledding, bike riding, running the steam mop (I have a kid who loves to do this...but ymmv lol), jummping on a tramp, swinging from a chin up bar in a doorway, walking to do errands..anything that can keep him moving for about 30 minutes. It works in children the same as it works in adults; it releases endorphins. This works for kids with sensory issues as well, which could be part of it. You see a lot of PT activities recommended for kids with such issues. Swinging is big; sitting up and also on a large platform. These kids need to move and move a lot, and daily.

It could also be anxiety about not being able to do what folks think he should be able to do.

There could be ADD, which again makes him feel bad about not being able to do what people expect him to do, which makes him feel guilty and sad, which makes him depressed.

I would not give anything to this child until he is seen by a pediatric neurologist a children's hospital. You do not want to be effing around with various meds that don't address the underlying issue.

:iagree: This was me.

:iagree: This was me.

:grouphug: (This next part is not to the OP. They are thoughts I often have about kids and needs)

I don't think reading boards (and I am not talking only about this one, believe me) helps in cases like these. Too many people are too insistent are about getting kids to do more and be more, no matter the needs of the particular child. Too many children are not fitting the mold of what they are 'supposed to do'. Is this a parent issue or a child issue? A lot of times too, kids are justifiably and rightfully bored to death.

Sometimes I read (not just here...but everywhere) what some little children are expected to do and I want to cry. I can't imagine being a child stuck in certain situations and having no choice but punishment.

You can't get early childhood back.

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh, poor sweet boy :(

Have you thought about cutting things like dairy and gluten out of his diet? Many people report improvements in mood and sleep habits after a few weeks off gluten. And someone mentioned fish oil, but maybe Vitamin D as well?

I hope you find something to help him :grouphug:

I am giving Vit. D. About 200-600 mg per day. It's in a drop form. He also gets magnesium. I've been lax about giving these, but am stepping it up. I'm looking into a kids B complex.

Although he is growing like a weed, he isn't starting puberty yet. He will early, I'm sure..but not yet. A few pimples...but still very much a young boy :)

My concern with trying gluten free is that my kids typically need A LOT more fiber then most. We did gluten free MANY years ago for my dd's tummy roubles. Whoa. It was bad.