Menu

This is why I believe in school choice!!

I live near where this case happened and the national news make this woman seem like a victim. There is much more than this story than a poor mother who just wants her kids to have a better education. There are other schools she could have sent her kids to, it's interesting that she picked one of the wealthiest schools in the area.

I don't see what is wrong with picking the wealthiest school for her kids at all. Is she less deserving of this wealthy school? There should be no differences in the quality of schools that depends upon where you live in this country IMHO

Oh, and to the person who said homeschooling may not have seemed an option to her because it wasn't common, there's a HUGE homeschooling group that meets right down the street from the area where she lives.

That was me:D I still contend that homeschooling is not an option on most people's radar in this country since many still see regular schooling as the only option and homeschooling as an oddity IMHO. Fortunately, that opinion of homeschooling is very slowly changing in this country:) Also, she was working so it may have not been an option as well. Not everyone has the ability or option to homeschool IMHO

It's also likely that she didn't move into the district with her father because she was living in government housing and she probably needed the kids to get or keep that housing and having kids lowered her rent.

Would not most moms want to reside with their kids? Is she a bad mom for wanting the kids to live with her? As for government housing, I don't think she is less moral or hard working for needing government help that is available to her. As for living with her father, maybe that was not an option for her.

I don't know if her father offered to let the kids live with him, but he was too busy defrauding the welfare department already. Oh, and one more thing, this mother WORKS as a teacher in the "terrible" school district where she wouldn't send her kids.

We have plenty of teachers who homeschool their kids on this board due to their experiences in school. Perhaps she did not like what she saw at the school where she taught.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/114811999.html

My responses are in magenta:)

My 2 cents:)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what is wrong with picking the wealthiest school for her kids at all. Is she less deserving of this wealthy school? There should be no differences in the quality of schools that depends upon where you live in this country IMHO

In this case, yes, she is less deserving. She doesn't live in the district and won't pay tuition for her children to attend the school. She broke the law. The taxpayers in the "wealthy" district shouldn't have to pay for this woman's children to attend their schools just because she wants them to be there.

She was given many options to resolve the situation, and she continued to lie and to refuse to cooperate.

I have no sympathy for her.

Cat

Butcher reiterated what Williams-Bolar has always said: that her decision to move her children from Akron schools to Copley-Fairlawn was not based on a belief of her children receiving a better education in suburbia.

Williams-Bolar, who works in special education for Akron schools, told the Beacon Journal last week that moving the girls to their grandfather's home in Copley was intended to ensure their safety and avoid a latch-key situation.[/color]

Even if this was a motivation, I cannot fault a mom for wanting to keep her kids safe at all. I can also see how she would not want a latch-key situation as well since plenty of kids get into trouble when there is inadequate supervision in this country:(

Even if this was a motivation, I cannot fault a mom for wanting to keep her kids safe at all. I can also see how she would not want a latch-key situation as well since plenty of kids get into trouble when there is inadequate supervision in this country:(

Especially in certain communities. As stated, the situations I've seen, the kids were not only being sent to a better school academically, but to a safer district where their home district one would be fortunate to survive (literally) day to day.

Pris,

I agree with you.

But look at how the story is being "spun" in the media. The headlines aren't:

"Mom Jailed Because She Didn't Want Kids to be Latchkey Kids"

In this case, yes, she is less deserving. She doesn't live in the district and won't pay tuition for her children to attend the school. She broke the law. The taxpayers in the "wealthy" district shouldn't have to pay for this woman's children to attend their schools just because she wants them to be there.

She was given many options to resolve the situation, and she continued to lie and to refuse to cooperate.

Cat

1.) Why should there be any difference in standard from one public school to the next? Public schools should be a commodity, one no different from the next. Territoriality of the sort we are seeing in this case is utter nonsense. Particularly, given she apparently only lives 2 miles from the school where she was sending her kids.

2.) Why should she pay tuition, when she does not have to pay tuition at the other school district - particularly when the other school district is already reaping the public funding benefit of her residing there? Plus she does work. She must pay something in taxes I would think. If there is a question of "tuition owed" then perhaps the wealthier school district should be going after the one where she lives - because they received the funds.

What this situation does is clearly illustrate exactly how broken our system is. Our system is based on a flawed notion that the schools are the ones entitled to funding, as opposed to the funding going with the student. Her choosing to send her kids to that school is reflective of a capitalist market based approach where you have choice:D

This whole thing reminds me of Rosa Parks being forced to sit at the back of the bus. All kids should be afforded a great education IMHO. Plus, if wealthy areas want their kids to have extra special schools then they should build private ones to send their kids to IMHO:D

Cat

Wasn't her father paying taxes there?

Wasn't her father paying taxes there?

Yes, but the kids weren't living there. As I understand it, the school district was able to prove that the children were not living with the woman's father, and as such, didn't qualify to attend school in that district.

I have a feeling that, if the woman had spoken with the district and admitted what she was doing, they might have found a way to accommodate her children. They managed to negotiate with all of the other families who were "caught." This woman didn't want to work with the district, and continued to lie and fight, so they prosecuted her.

I have a feeling that there is a lot more to this story than a "poor mom who wanted the best for her kids." :glare:

Cat

1.) Why should there be any difference in standard from one public school to the next? Public schools should be a commodity, one no different from the next. Territoriality of the sort we are seeing in this case is utter nonsense. Particularly, given she apparently only lives 2 miles from the school where she was sending her kids.

2.) Why should she pay tuition, when she does not have to pay tuition at the other school district - particularly when the other school district is already reaping the public funding benefit of her residing there? Plus she does work. She must pay something in taxes I would think. If there is a question of "tuition owed" then perhaps the wealthier school district should be going after the one where she lives - because they received the funds.

What this situation does is clearly illustrate exactly how broken our system is. Our system is based on a flawed notion that the schools are the ones entitled to funding, as opposed to the funding going with the student. Her choosing to send her kids to that school is reflective of a capitalist market based approach where you have choice:D

This whole thing reminds me of Rosa Parks being forced to sit at the back of the bus. All kids should be afforded a great education IMHO. Plus, if wealthy areas want their kids to have extra special schools then they should build private ones to send their kids to IMHO:D

I understand your position, and in an ideal world, all children would go to great schools, but in this case, the rules were the rules, and this woman knowingly broke them, and then lied about what she had done.

It's great to be idealistic, but right now, the rules say that what this woman has done is wrong, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of the taxpayers in the "better" district are pleased that their tax dollars are no longer going to pay for this woman's kids to illegally attend their schools.

If she really wanted her kids to attend the better schools, she should have ponied up the money to live in that district. If she didn't have the money to do that, she had an advantage that many others in her position would not have had -- her father lived in the district and she and the kids could have moved in with him. She chose not to do that. She chose to break the law, refused to negotiate with the district, and she continued to lie about what she was doing.

If the other school district is truly terrible and dangerous, the woman should have documented several incidents of how it negatively affected her children's ability to receive a quality education, and approached them about having her children transferred to a different school on that basis. Apparently, she never tried to do anything like that.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

Cat

But his having full custody or getting to claim the children as dependants would not have added to the amount he paid in taxes for the school district, right?

My point is that they had taxes coming in from that family.

But apparently, the issue is that there is a requirement that mandates that students must live in the district, and that wasn't the case here.

This woman seems to have wanted a fight; otherwise, she would have just moved herself and her kids in with her father, and there would have been no problem. I have no idea why she didn't just work something out with the district, like all of the other families managed to do. Perhaps she just wanted the publicity of being a Martyr Mom who suffered greatly for her children. :glare:

Cat