Menu

Memory work?

I'm wondering for how long you have your logic aged students continue to recite memory work from early years? He remembers it easily, but it is starting to stack up! Also, I still have a grammar student, so right now he just recites along with her. As she moves up, I'm wondering if I should start to drop the early stuff for the sake of time. Especially early poems.

How do you rotate your memory work?

We use the folder system with Today, Monday-Friday, then 1-31. Each day they have 3-6 to recite (whatever is behind the corresponding files). The older stuff they only do once a month, or even every two months if it falls on a weekend.

I do get rid of the old ones occasionally, but some of those are thier favorites and they like to keep them.

We use that system, too. I modified it a bit so that instead of 1-31 we have a four week rotation of Monday - Friday to avoid the weekends for the monthly work. If there are five weeks in a month then we get a break.

I guess it's not that we have a huge amount on any one day, but I'm thinking ahead to the future. Thanks for your experience; I have a feeling my kids will not want to lose their favorites, either, now that I think about it.