Menu

Can anyone recommend a balanced book to explain liberal vs. conservative to dd11?

HappyGrace

Is there any such thing? :)

Has anyone tried the Uncle Eric book-"Are you Liberal? Conservative? Confused?"

The reviews on Amazon don't seem to think it is balanced.

We are WAY on one end of the spectrum but I want to help her at least understand the other viewpoint-what their beliefs are that they think are valid so she doesn't see them as the "enemy" but as human beings standing behind what they believe is valid.

Thanks for any help!

For starters, only conservatives use the term "liberal", the correct term is "progressive". :lol:

Seriously, I think those labels suck as they are currently used.

For example, one might be a social progressive but a fiscal conservative. Then there are folks like the "Reagan democrats" who favored strong central government and were progressive on some fronts but social conservatives on other. And now the Tea Party which is mainly anti-government.

I guess I'm saying IMO it's more productive to discuss with your DD different major areas on which people disagree (role of federal gov't; taxation; protectionism; big business versus individual rights; social equality; property rights; etc). Then discuss each of these and the pros/cons of different positions. You might also discuss different political parties/groups and where they stand on each of these issues.

<begin rant>

I believe our country would be a whole lot better off if people stopped slapping overly simple labels on each other and recognized our political and personal beliefs aren't as simple as a one word epitaph, and the idea that two people sharing a label (say, "conservative") really have much politically in common is not only in error but dangerous. An easy place to start is teach our kids better to view issues and people rather than labels.

<end rant>

ETA: I sincerely commend you on trying to find a balanced way to teach your dd about differing beliefs. I think teaching respect for different positions will serve your dd well in life. [And my rant wasn't directed at you, but the current media approach where liberal/progressive/conservative are like the new astrological signs, as if they hold the whole truth of what you believe and who you are.]

Edited by ChandlerMom

For starters, only conservatives use the term "liberal", the correct term is "progressive". :lol:

Seriously, I think those labels suck as they are currently used.

For example, one might be a social progressive but a fiscal conservative. Then there are folks like the "Reagan democrats" who favored strong central government and were progressive on some fronts but social conservatives on other. And now the Tea Party which is mainly anti-government.

I guess I'm saying IMO it's more productive to discuss with your DD different major areas on which people disagree (role of federal gov't; taxation; protectionism; big business versus individual rights; social equality; property rights; etc). Then discuss each of these and the pros/cons of different positions. You might also discuss different political parties/groups and where they stand on each of these issues.

<begin rant>

I believe our country would be a whole lot better off if people stopped slapping overly simple labels on each other and recognized our political and personal beliefs aren't as simple as a one word epitaph, and the idea that two people sharing a label (say, "conservative") really have much politically in common is not only in error but dangerous. An easy place to start is teach our kids better to view issues and people rather than labels.

<end rant>

:iagree:

Any balanced sources for this?

(and lol-I guess I "outed" myself just by my definitions of terms. But that's what I mean, I know my own beliefs best and am so colored by them that I have no clue how to do a better job presenting the "big picture" to her like you mentioned in the quote above.)

I think going to their respective websites (in this case, the main political parties) and then reading what they have to say for themselves would be a good start.

You also need to consider Economic vs Social liberals and conservatives.

I don't know that you can avoid bias in a book that covers both - but if you get a book from each - or a pamphlette - that only discusses their own set of ideals, you can compare the two for yourself.

I just heard someone speak on National Public Radio (can you guess, now, if I'm a liberal/progressive or conservative?) about how labeling is the first step to demonizing, and that if you get to know people from different backgrounds personally you soon come to realize that most of them want the same thing (a better, just, and safe society). They just have different plans about how best to get there.

I agree with what another poster said about looking at issues from multiple perspectives. Choose some of the less "hot button" ones to start with and find examples of people from the different "camps" that agree on them. I'd start with an issue like habitat protection. Plenty of NRA members (hunters) support that along with environmentalists, but owners of mountaintop removal coal mining companies may not! Why? What are their motives? What are their values? Can a profit motive change someone's values in one area, but leave them intact in others?

Another issue may be eliminating poverty (no one wants poverty! but everyone has a different idea of how to help: i.e. welfare, job training, faith-based charity, etc.). Their opinions probably hinge on their beliefs about how our tax money is best used and the role of the state as a "safety net" vs. the responsibility of the individual, family, or church to protect vulnerable people.

Children are very attracted to the simplicity of the "good" guys and "bad" guys scenerio. It is up to us to slowly help them understand that things aren't so black and white in real life. I'd just simply define liberal and conservative as words the media uses to refer to huge groups of people that have some political opinions in common but not all.