Menu

Kindle and Homeschooling?

warriormom

I am using the Kindle w/ my kids. I haven't looked for any teacher's guides because we are simply using it for reading and note-taking type things. I've downloaded some classics that I have my 9th grader reader and doing written narrations for. I've also downloaded the SAT practice guides that we are just beginning to use and I read some of the AO selections to my younger ones - especially when we are out and about waiting on older kiddos, etc. We've only been using it for 2 weeks though so I'm probably not the best for a review.

I love my Kindle, and I am considering getting my son one for his own use. So far we've only used it for reading, but I'm sure there are other uses. A LOT of the classics are free.

As an aside, though I love my Kindle, you might look into the Nook by Barnes and Noble. From what I understand, you can share books with friends, and I THINK there might be a lending library. It's at least worth a look. Good luck to you.

You can load pdf versions of your guides onto the Kindle. You can't use all of the features, but it does work and is so much more portable. We use the Kindle because it's so much easier to take overseas with us than a pile of books, both my dd and I have one. So far, so good.

I could not find a kindle version of SOTW guide, FLL and WWE. Also can you tell me what HO is? I am clueless.

History Odyssey

You don't need a Kindle version. As long as it is a PDF, you can load it using a free program called Calibre. :) It converts PDFs to be put on your Kindle.

Super easy! I am REALLY bad with computers and I was able to use it. :tongue_smilie:

History Odyssey

You don't need a Kindle version. As long as it is a PDF, you can load it using a free program called Calibre. :) It converts PDFs to be put on your Kindle.

Super easy! I am REALLY bad with computers and I was able to use it. :tongue_smilie:

How does this work? I have always just put the pdf on my Kindle without any kind of conversion. Just plug the Kindle into my computer and move the file over to it. :confused:

History Odyssey

Yes, please tell us more. ;)

I have used Mobipocket Creator to convert PDFs to Mobi format (which is a generic Kindle format). I've only tried it with my digital copy of The Writer's Jungle, and it garbled all the sidebars in the text. I suppose that had more to do with using a PDF without straightforward formatting.

Have you had any trouble with Calibre messing up the formatting of your PDFs?

It won't let me look at the tour or screenshots of the program, or the features tab, so I still don't understand what it does or how it works.

What the heck! Hmmm....

To be honest, I figured it out by downloading it and playing with what it says. I believe it talks you through how to load books once it opens. :001_huh:

Otherwise, I will work on trying to figure out how t oexplain through type. :D

Oh, and to answer the OP's question ;), I bought the PDF version of WWE3, and I read it off my Kindle when I'm working with dd. I think that's the only time I use the Kindle for "school" right now. I imagine that I will use it more in the future as we start to read more free classics.

The disadvantages of the Kindle for me are 1) I use it outside of school, so sometimes I have to hunt for it while dd waits for me, and 2) I don't like reading PDFs on the Kindle--I have to either squint to see the tiny print or scroll back and forth when I enlarge the size of the PDF. I'm going to try converting WWE to Kindle format tonight to see if I can solve disadvantage #2 tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't have a Kindle, but can read ebooks on my phone. We've read a lot of the Ambleside Online books this way.

I think we'll likely get my DS an ebook reader within the next few years, once he's a bit better at reading and more are available used or otherwise at a lower price. The idea of loading it up with all the freely available classics is very appealing!

We've done the on-screen version of Progressive Phonics on a tablet computer, and that worked relatively well.

Every kindle has a unique email address. You can email any PDF file to your kindle email address and as soon as long as you have wi-fi turned on, it will show up on your device. Super easy!!

This is what I was going to say. You shouldn't have to convert anything, just e-mail your file to your Kindle's e-mail address, which you can find on your account page if you don't know it.

This is what I was going to say. You shouldn't have to convert anything, just e-mail your file to your Kindle's e-mail address, which you can find on your account page if you don't know it.

You don't even have to do that, if you plug your kindle into your computer it should show up as an "Drive" option on the "my computer" area. You can just drag and drop your file to it right on your desktop. You don't have to be online or in your amazon "my kindle" area or anything.

For me the issue is not getting it onto my Kindle. I just use the USB plug to put PDFs on it. I just don't like reading PDFs on the Kindle. I will if it's the only way for me to get a certain book. But if I can convert it into a Kindle format relatively painlessly, it makes the document more user-friendly.

Okay, I converted my WWE3 to a .mobi for my Kindle. Calibre made it very easy to do. I didn't bother to figure out how to do anything with the program, like making a Table of Contents. I just converted it with the default settings.

The formatting turned out okay, but I wasn't all that impressed. It's readable, but some of the formatting didn't come across. The headers, footers, and page numbers just appear in the text. The dictation passages don't have the special formatting to set them apart. I'm going to upload some screen captures from Kindle for PC. They correspond to some of the pages in Week 5 that this sample includes, so you can compare if you'd like.

The first 3 screen captures are from Week 5 Day 1 and the second 2 are from Day 2. There were a couple of pages in between that I didn't include.

Edited by bonniebeth4

I have a new Kindle. I love putting pdfs on it. I do have the same problem with the type being too small. I have a lot of the Simple Schooling science pdfs on it, and they are great because the type is larger. Google books for children are nice, too. When I need to make the type bigger, I just change the orientation of my screen--landscape instead of portrait. That is usually enough to make it readable. Hitting the page turn button will advance down the page. If that doesn't work, I don't bother. Scrolling across the page is too big of a pain.

I have also converted pdf to mobi with Calibre, but if there are pictures or anything, it takes them out. So it depends on the document. But I have tons of pdfs on my Kindle and use them. I put answer keys and TMs on it to glance through as necessary.

Jennifer

Have you had any trouble with Calibre messing up the formatting of your PDFs?

Yes, if the PDF is "dirty," then it can garble things up quite badly. I've had good and bad experiences. Old files with spotty printing and dirty pages generally don't work as well.

I bought a book about reading fluency on the $1 scholastic sale someone posted about a week or two ago. I used calibre to convert it to mobi and send it to my kindle. Then I also loaded the pdf to my kindle directly. The converted version is much easier for reading the text, but when there is a chart or graph I want to see, I just load the pdf version and look at it. Best of both worlds! It's a little annoying to switch back and forth, but there aren't that many charts in the book and the page number were converted in the mobi file so I can easily find the same place in the pdf. I suppose I could also look at the charts on the computer quite easily.

Calibre does garble some formating but as long as the book is mostly text without special fonts, graphs, etc, converting works pretty well.