Menu

Logic advice sought for eighth grader who loves the discipline.

We completed most of Critical Thinking, Books 1 and 2, though now that I consider it, we left off book two in the middle of chapter 7 of nine chapters, so finishing this is where I'll go first.

This child is probably going to school in the fall for high school in the fall, and I'm trying to spend these last months of homeschooling him following his interests as much as possible. He asked for a course in "Logic and Arguments". Right now, his exposure has been to the Critical Thinking books, Action Philosophers, and Thank You for Arguing, a humorous but rather comprehensive book by Jay Heinrichs that is more on rhetoric than logic. Any thoughts?

He asked for a course in "Logic and Arguments".

Right now we are enjoying Traditional Logic. A similar one is something I discovered the other day on the high school board - elegantlion posted it on Sweet Home Alabama's thread about logic, though I can't remember the title. It's put out by Classical Academic Press.

Right now we are enjoying Traditional Logic. A similar one is something I discovered the other day on the high school board - elegantlion posted it on Sweet Home Alabama's thread about logic, though I can't remember the title. It's put out by Classical Academic Press.

The Discovery of Deduction. I've just started using it for myself. It is formal logic as opposed to informal logic (fallacies) like Fallacy Detective or Art of Argument.

We've used Traditional Logic as well and you could easily finish in a semester. I prefer it over Intro to Logic.

HTH,

Lisa

We completed most of Critical Thinking, Books 1 and 2, though now that I consider it, we left off book two in the middle of chapter 7 of nine chapters, so finishing this is where I'll go first.

This child is probably going to school in the fall for high school in the fall, and I'm trying to spend these last months of homeschooling him following his interests as much as possible. He asked for a course in "Logic and Arguments". Right now, his exposure has been to the Critical Thinking books, Action Philosophers, and Thank You for Arguing, a humorous but rather comprehensive book by Jay Heinrichs that is more on rhetoric than logic. Any thoughts?

Traditional Logic I by MP would fit the bill nicely.

elegantlion, could you please clarify-is Classical Academic Press a strictly religious publisher? Can The Discovery of Deduction be used secularly? The fact that it's been described as "decidedly Christian" in TWTM is one reason I'm afraid Traditional Logic might not work for us. Thanks if you can clarify!

elegantlion, could you please clarify-is Classical Academic Press a strictly religious publisher? Can The Discovery of Deduction be used secularly? The fact that it's been described as "decidedly Christian" in TWTM is one reason I'm afraid Traditional Logic might not work for us. Thanks if you can clarify!

Not to try to sway you from the CAP book (because I think it's an excellent option along with TL), but I'm not sure I would call TL "decidedly Christian." It is published by a Catholic press, and it does sometimes use examples about God and morality, but to me, the thrust of the teaching is to teach the structure of formal logic. There are plenty of examples in it that aren't religious in nature. Just in case that helps you to make your comparisons.

Edited by Colleen in NS

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm-can anyone make a comparison between TL and Discovery of Deduction?

:lurk5:

We're secular homeschoolers, and we're using The Art of Argument this year. So far, we haven't found anything that bothers us, so we were planning on going on to Discovery of Deduction next year. Now I'm wondering if there is a big difference in religious content in Discovery of Deduction?