Menu

Help with Grammar and writing for 2nd and 3rd

Melenie

We are currently doing FLL1&2 and WWE 1. We are a good way into the second part of FLL and on week 16 in WWE. I LOVE WWE, it gives me a good framework for writing and the confidence to teach it. FLL is ok, we get it done, but we are skipping loads of lessons that are covered in WWE or things that DD has picked up by herself.

Once she is finished with FLL1&2 do I go on to 3 or look for something else. It feels like FLL and WWE cover too many of the same things. I know they were not supposed to be used together, but now where do I go with grammar?

I have Analytical grammar and am working through it by myself right now. I wonder if I could teach it to her at a slower pace. By what I can tell it covers all the parts of speech, phrases, clauses, punctuation and some common grammar mistakes.

I suppose in my long-winded way I am asking if I can teach grammar without a "work sheet kind of program" and just wing it using Analytical grammar. For us it feels like the right thing to do, but I am afraid that I will be missing something. BTW, English is my second language (although I have been speaking it from a very early age and reading extensively).

Any ideas? What are you using with WWE?

TIA for any ideas.:)

I can't answer your question, but do note that FLL 1/2 was rewritten into FLL1 and FLL2 separately, removing the redundancy that was between them and WWE. FLL3 shouldn't have the same redundancy with WWE that FLL1/2 (old version) has.

That's my understanding, anyway. I plan to use FLL2 and WWE2 together next year, but haven't done that yet!

I can't answer your question, but do note that FLL 1/2 was rewritten into FLL1 and FLL2 separately, removing the redundancy that was between them and WWE. FLL3 shouldn't have the same redundancy with WWE that FLL1/2 (old version) has.

That's my understanding, anyway. I plan to use FLL2 and WWE2 together next year, but haven't done that yet!

I wish I could get my hands on a copy of FLL3 to see. I looked on the Peace Hill Press website and this is the description they have of FLL3:

"The third volume in the First Language Lessons series, this scripted guide uses the classical techniques of memorization, copywork, dictation, and narration to develop your child's language ability in the formative first years of study."

We do our own memorization and the rest sound more like WWE than a grammar program to me. :confused:

I could not find it on PHP, but just had a look at Amazon, (duh - did not think of that before). The table of content looks GREAT. It gives a much better idea of what the program is about. It also says that WWE3 and FLL3 can be used together. :001_smile:

Thanks!

I felt that FLL3 was too repetitive of 1/2 for my oldest. We tried a variety of things before finding the combination that works: alternating the LA series by Michael Clay Thompson (MCT) with the series of applied grammar/writing by Don Killgallon.

My DS is in the first part of FLL 1/2 now and will start MCT's "island" level whenever he finishes. Then the plan is to do Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary School, then MCT's "town" level, then Killgallon Story Grammar for Elementary School, and so on.

I felt that FLL3 was too repetitive of 1/2 for my oldest. We tried a variety of things before finding the combination that works: alternating the LA series by Michael Clay Thompson (MCT) with the series of applied grammar/writing by Don Killgallon.

My DS is in the first part of FLL 1/2 now and will start MCT's "island" level whenever he finishes. Then the plan is to do Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary School, then MCT's "town" level, then Killgallon Story Grammar for Elementary School, and so on.

I completely forgot that I have the Grammar Island teacher's manual. I am going to give that another look over, thanks!

Any one else care to share what they use along side WWE3 for grammar?