Menu

School @ Home Type Curriculum for History?

CalicoKat

I have to give up completely on the picture in my head of sitting around on the couch reading aloud history, literature, etc. It just hasn't worked /doesn't work in our home for a variety of reasons that don't include my desire.

So many grades, so many abilities, special needs.

They each work at their own level in the other subjects that works well. Why not for History?

But I do like following the 4 year history cycle.

My 2nd and 4th graders are working through SOTW vol. 2 right now. They'll do the 3rd and 4th volumes in the next few years. They work through it at their own pace, not together, they have the activity books and cd's so it's not hard for them to read or listen to each chapter to their heart's content. One is almost finished and the other is on chapt. 25.

My oldest daughter is doing MFW mostly independently which their representative told me today is not the way that curriculum was intended to be used. Ugh. I'm asking too much of my daughter too soon in her opinion and I need to get my kids all on the same day for the history readings. This would translate into completely stalling out and NOT finishing our history again for the year. That's been how we've tried in the past to do things and that's how it's always played out because of the reasons above.

So I feel like I'm doing this all wrong. Perhaps a history text book for each grade level? I don't like Rod and Staff's history. Any other suggestions?

My 2nd and 4th graders are working through SOTW vol. 2 right now. They'll do the 3rd and 4th volumes in the next few years. They work through it at their own pace, not together, they have the activity books and cd's so it's not hard for them to read or listen to each chapter to their heart's content. One is almost finished and the other is on chapt. 25.

If this is working, I'd continue it the way you're doing it.

My oldest daughter is doing MFW mostly independently which their representative told me today is not the way that curriculum was intended to be used. Ugh. I'm asking too much of my daughter too soon in her opinion and I need to get my kids all on the same day for the history readings.

Is your daughter having problems with this method? Or is it just that the representative thinks it shouldn't be used that way? If your daughter is doing fine, I don't see a reason to make a change? That seems like an age where kids are usually encouraged to do things independently, isn't it? :confused:

So I feel like I'm doing this all wrong. Perhaps a history text book for each grade level? I don't like Rod and Staff's history. Any other suggestions?

I'd be interested to see what exactly isn't working about the method you're using right now (not the method you think you should be using per the MFW representative, but the actual way you're currently doing things and have been doing things for a while). That might help people make recommendations for you.

If this is working, I'd continue it the way you're doing it.

Is your daughter having problems with this method? Or is it just that the representative thinks it shouldn't be used that way? If your daughter is doing fine, I don't see a reason to make a change? That seems like an age where kids are usually encouraged to do things independently, isn't it? :confused:

I'd be interested to see what exactly isn't working about the method you're using right now (not the method you think you should be using per the MFW representative, but the actual way you're currently doing things and have been doing things for a while). That might help people make recommendations for you.

The current method feels like it is working. But after speaking to the rep. I got the impression that I'm doing this wrong and keeping my children from making the connections through history because we weren't discussing the readings as a family. I know that ultimately we won't be able to do MFW the way it was intended and that I'll have to switch to a curriculum that will allow my kids to move at their own pace without having to wait for their siblings.

The current method feels like it is working. But after speaking to the rep. I got the impression that I'm doing this wrong and keeping my children from making the connections through history because we weren't discussing the readings as a family.

I think I'd worry more about making connections in high school? But my oldest is a first grader, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt. :D

It sounds like what you're doing is working fine, and if your children are learning something from it, I don't think I'd worry about the connections the rep wants them to make, but that's just me. :) I can't imagine a textbook curriculum doing any better at making connections? :confused:

unless the rep said we aren't selling it to you if you don't use it the right way (doubtful!) i would just say thanks for the advice and the continue to do it the way that is totally working.

feedback from others is not going to be built into any history text.

Edited by mammaofbean

I think I'd worry more about making connections in high school? But my oldest is a first grader, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt. :D

It sounds like what you're doing is working fine, and if your children are learning something from it, I don't think I'd worry about the connections the rep wants them to make, but that's just me. :) I can't imagine a textbook curriculum doing any better at making connections? :confused:

thanks for your encouragement. I will carry on then. :D

The current method feels like it is working. But after speaking to the rep. I got the impression that I'm doing this wrong and keeping my children from making the connections through history because we weren't discussing the readings as a family. I know that ultimately we won't be able to do MFW the way it was intended and that I'll have to switch to a curriculum that will allow my kids to move at their own pace without having to wait for their siblings.

The rep isn't in your shoes, with your family. If what you are doing is working, kick the rep's doubting voice out of your head.

and have much the same problems. We are doing year 5 in history this year with MFW, Modern History. I didn't want my 6 and 7 yos who are rather sensitive doing modern history, as the content is rather, um, disturbing. Soooo, we use CLE for alot of other subjects, I decided to add Bible, Social Studies, and Science for them. It was a good move here. So much so, we are considering dropping MFW completely next year and everyone move to their own subjects at grade level. I haven't completely decided to do this, because there is a part of me that doesn't want to abandoned the classical approach, but it is just so much simpler. I hate trying to get everyone together every day. It is nightmarish really. The olders would rather be independent and know what to do each day and not have to wait til I can get the youngers round up to do that part of the day. So, we'll see if I can get over my idealized idea of school and just do what works for our family and not feel guilty about it. I don't know if CLE is your answer. My kids all like the format.

and have much the same problems. We are doing year 5 in history this year with MFW, Modern History. I didn't want my 6 and 7 yos who are rather sensitive doing modern history, as the content is rather, um, disturbing. Soooo, we use CLE for alot of other subjects, I decided to add Bible, Social Studies, and Science for them. It was a good move here. So much so, we are considering dropping MFW completely next year and everyone move to their own subjects at grade level. I haven't completely decided to do this, because there is a part of me that doesn't want to abandoned the classical approach, but it is just so much simpler. I hate trying to get everyone together every day. It is nightmarish really. The olders would rather be independent and know what to do each day and not have to wait til I can get the youngers round up to do that part of the day. So, we'll see if I can get over my idealized idea of school and just do what works for our family and not feel guilty about it. I don't know if CLE is your answer. My kids all like the format.

Oh you put into words exactly my frustrations. I love your choice word - nightmarish! I completely can visualize this and start to sweat.

What does CLE stand for? My older daughter does her work at night -- her best thinking time -- and she gets so frustrated having to wait up for the rest of our posse. My 2nd grader is almost to this point too.

I'll be taking a look at CLE. Thanks!

Oh you put into words exactly my frustrations. I love your choice word - nightmarish! I completely can visualize this and start to sweat.

What does CLE stand for? My older daughter does her work at night -- her best thinking time -- and she gets so frustrated having to wait up for the rest of our posse. My 2nd grader is almost to this point too.

I'll be taking a look at CLE. Thanks!

Is Christian Light Education. Their website is http://www.clp.org

They are mennonite. I would imagine if that is not a good fit, Bob Jones, Abeka would work the same way. I used to shake my head at big families who used a textbook approach, but as my olders get older and more independent, they just don't want to wait around for the little kids anymore. Plus, they have outside stuff, ie sports, orchestra, babysitting, etc that they want to get done for so they want to just lock themselves up somewhere and perservere until they are finished for the day. They are learning, and learning well. It just isn't the sit on the couch together experience I was trying to create for so many years.

Don't feel guilty. We all have to do what works for our family. I am struggling with this right now. I want to do things that families with an only, or two kids 5 years apart, you know what I mean, are doing. Ummm, not happening. I shouldn't feel guilty. :D I just have to throw out there, have you looked at TOG? It might solve some of your issues while keeping the classical approach.

Is Christian Light Education. Their website is http://www.clp.org

They are mennonite. I would imagine if that is not a good fit, Bob Jones, Abeka would work the same way. I used to shake my head at big families who used a textbook approach, but as my olders get older and more independent, they just don't want to wait around for the little kids anymore. Plus, they have outside stuff, ie sports, orchestra, babysitting, etc that they want to get done for so they want to just lock themselves up somewhere and perservere until they are finished for the day. They are learning, and learning well. It just isn't the sit on the couch together experience I was trying to create for so many years.

Thank you!

I see that you're kids are just two years ahead, but basically the same spread of ages. :) I'm so glad today to know that I'm not alone. Thank you for sharing.

Don't feel guilty. We all have to do what works for our family. I am struggling with this right now. I want to do things that families with an only, or two kids 5 years apart, you know what I mean, are doing. Ummm, not happening. I shouldn't feel guilty. :D I just have to throw out there, have you looked at TOG? It might solve some of your issues while keeping the classical approach.[/quote]

literally makes my head spin. :tongue_smilie: I have looked and looked at it, and it is just so involved. I have a hard enough time getting the book basket books for MFW from the library let alone the gazillions of books for each week for each level for TOG. I just don't have the energy. The friends I have who use it and use it well are well, just more energetic than I am. ;)