Menu

Ever have Credit card number stolen?

I checked on a credit on my card this morning to find 2 fraudulent charges. There was a $180 chico's order and $9 netflix. Why are people so dishonest like that. My bank is easy to work with. I just am so frusted that there are people out there that think nothing of stealing like this. :confused::mad:

:grouphug: My parents had their cc number stolen once when I was a kid - the bank took care of it easily, but it was still not fun at all. In their case, Mom is pretty sure the number was stolen by some teens hanging around when she put her cc payment in the mailbox. We found out when $300 worth of electronics parts that neither mom nor dad had ordered were delivered to the house - it was just luck that we found them on the porch before whoever *did* order them was able to abscond with them :glare:.

Yes. Someone opened a Netflix account with my debit card...all the billing info was mine, my name, address, card number, security code, and zip code...and the movies were being sent to an out of state address and another person's name.

To get Netflix to cancel the charges and stop further ones, I had to file a police report and give them the case number. And since we had no idea how this information from my card was obtained, I had to cancel every single card I have and get new ones issues. And I had to have all the credit reporting agencies put a freeze on my ssn to not issue any new credit for six months, and to notify us of any credit checks anyone attempted to run on me.

Yes, twice. 2 different cc companies. One was w/ Citibank, and they called us becuase they knew we were closing our account, (we hadn't used it in 6 months, and we had cut up our cards months before) and asked us if we had used it. How anyone got the number is beyond me. I still had parts of the cut up card- so it's not like someone could have gotten it out of the trash. Lot's of paperwork, but easy to work with- they actually went after the people, I think.

The other was w/ a cc through our local bank. Also got a call from the card company, asking about charges. Nope, wasn't me. I feel lucky that it was caught by the company both times. I do check our charges ea month though, so I would have caught it eventually, they just caught it as it was happening! Makes me feel better about who I have my card with!

Yes. It happened twice in two years.

The first time it was a few months after our credit union announced a security breach, but only notified those who might be affected. We weren't notified, but wondered if ours was obtained that way. The card was used for software here in the states and software in Paris.

The second time (same credit union, as we only use one card) the number was only used for overseas purchases. Someone bought a train ticket from Spain to Paris and an oven in Spain. :confused:

The credit union was great both times (obviously, it's in THEIR best interest to be good about it!), but, BOY what a hassle it was in changing the ongoing charges (newspaper, Netflix, etc).

We actually wonder if the cc number wasn't stolen from an online game that ds used to play. The game is (was?) extremely popular here in the states, but the company is based in Germany, and with the overseas charges both times, it gives us pause. This third card has been used with the game company again, but the gaming account has since been deactivated. If there is a 'third time being stolen', we'll have more reason to suspect that company's security. Both times the card was replaced, we used a back-up cc and that number has never been used on the game site and has never been stolen, so it really does make us wonder...

I just can't *stand* the fact that there are so many dishonest people out there!

It is hard to think when, where and how. The only things that were differently than normal was a trip to Chatanooga which included lunchand a visit to the aquarium. yesterday I purchased contacts through 1800contacts through walmart. I am so glad I have been waiting for and checking for a credit to come through daily so now whoever has my numbers can not use it and will not be getting their chico order. Don't you hate when people who stole cc info purchase things from places you never wold becase of the price. I told the guy at the bank that #1 I have chico's in town and would not need topurchase online. #2 I don't shop chico's becuase I veryrarely spend more than$80 at one time on clothes. I use my cc for gas and groceries for convience, I hope I remember I don't have a cc on my for a week.:001_huh:

Yes--both times the cc company caught it before we even got a statement and handled it all. We did have to cancel cards which is a pain in the rear when you've got regular medical bills coming out of them or outstanding or recurring orders which we do with our card. Still, it was easy.

I have no idea how ours was stolen as we only deal with reputable companies but I got the impression from talking with the cc company that it's not uncommon?

Yes. In the last decade we've had credit card numbers stolen twice, a box of checks stolen, and a breach in the security of whatever bank held dh's student loan.

The checks were the biggest hassle. Places all over town had those bad checks and called us at home directly. :001_huh: The credit cards were the easiest.

For my husband's student loan breach (which included his SSN and other data), we were advised to subscribe to a credit watch agency. They paid for the first year and we have to pay for every other year, apparently forever. :glare:

Yes. We got a call because someone was charging on our card in FL while dh was charging in NY. Their purchase went through, but we weren't responsible to pay. Many people know the cc company will eat the charge, so they don't feel so bad. Like that makes it okay. It's still #%$@! stealing. :glare:

I've had a couple card numbers stollen (two charges made me laugh it was so rediculous, $200 worth of tacos in Mexico and a charge to a Catholic website, we're not Catholic), everytime the card company caught it and notified me right away. Dh's debit card had to be replaced when someone hacked into several local banks and credit unions and accessed debit card info. No charges were ever put on the card, but the number was compromised so they had to issue a new card.

I asked one of the credit card companies how my number was accessed when that particular card never gets used, I had never lost it and no statements had ever gone missing. The guy said that it's becomming common for crooks to use software that generates random number combinations until it finds an "active" account, then they make a fake card and sell them, usually to undocumented immigrants.

Thankfully it was no big deal to get it all taken care of, just filling out some simple paperwork and send it in. My cousin had his SS# used to open a cell phone account in Texas, they lived in Montana. Trying to get Sprint and the collection agency the account was sent to (that's how they found out about it, when the collection agency contacted them to collect the debt) to believe them that they had never been in Texas let alone had a Sprint cell phone account was a real pain.

We've had it happen three times. We believe that our numbers were taken by waiters at restaurants 2/3 times. Nice, huh. The last time it happened, this past May, I was in California attending a wedding. Someone duplicated the magnetic strip on my card, and used the false card at a FL Wal-Mart. Thankfully I had brought along an alternative method of payment or I would've been stranded with no way to pay for anything...hotel, food, etc. when the credit card company cut off card access.

Everything cleared up fairly quickly.

Yes. There were a string of cc thefts in this area a few months ago. The thiefs were putting card readers into the gas station pumps along the interstate. My card was one of the numbers that was stolen and they tried to buy $300 worth of chocolate online. However, the Citicard fraud detection people called and we were quickly sent new cards.

Yes, a few times. Once Capital One called and asked if we'd ordered $3000 worth of extreme sporting goods, LOL. Um, no. We're about the last people on the planet to go extreme sporting of any kind, LOL.

Another time someone got ahold of my ATM card number and opened a bunch of accounts at online dating sites.

And another time, someone got ahold of the info on a second we had on our house (which had no balance and hadn't for years) and tried to make a couple of purchases.

In all three cases the bank/CC company was helpful and took the charges off, issued us new numbers, closed the accounts, etc.

I've since stopped using my ATM card for online and restaurant purchases. I have a couple of credit cards I use instead and just pay the balance off every month. At least then if someone does steal the numbers and use them, they don't have the ability to drain my bank account balance.