Menu

Pies...sawdust pie and chocolate chip cookie pie....

I forgot to put in last week's pie recipe, so here it is. Last week I made sawdust pie; the recipe originated from Ms. Patti's 1880's settlement in Grand Rivers Kentucky. It is a good pie, sort of like a pecan pie with a bit of coconut thrown in.

Ms. Patti's Sawdust Pie

7 egg whites, unbeaten

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 1/2 cups pecans

1 1/2 cups coconut

1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix all ingredients together and stir by hand. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake until glossy and set (about 25 to 30 minutes). Do not overbake! Serve warm with sliced bananas and whipped cream.

Serves 8. (I didn't use the bananas and whipped cream but it was still great!)

And now for the pie I made this week....

My word...this pie is awesome. SO yummy.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

ingredients:

1 single crust pie crust (this is a deep dish recipe. If using a frozen pie crust, you may need 2)

1 stick unsalted butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup milk

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees/ Using an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed in a large bowl gradually adding the sugars. Beat in the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour and salt and mix till well blended. Mix in the milk. If the mixture looks a bit curdled it is ok. Pour into the pie shell smoothing the top with a spoon.

Bake about 1 hour. (mine took an hour and 10 minutes) If it begins to brown too much cover with aluminum foil. When done the top should be a dark golden brown. Give the pie a slight nudge. Not even the center should move in waves but a tiny bit of jiggle is fine.

Allow pie to cool to room temperature. Store in fridge.

ingredients:

1 single crust pie crust (this is a deep dish recipe. If using a frozen pie crust, you may need 2)

1 stick unsalted butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees/ Using an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed in a large bowl gradually adding the sugars. Beat in the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour and salt and mix till well blended. Mix in the milk. If the mixture looks a bit curdled it is ok. Pour into the pie shell smoothing the top with a spoon.

Bake about 1 hour. (mine took an hour and 10 minutes) If it begins to brown too much cover with aluminum foil. When done the top should be a dark golden brown. Give the pie a slight nudge. Not even the center should move in waves but a tiny bit of jiggle is fine.

OH MAN!!! This pregnant woman wants some of that (NOW). I think I am going to check if I have all the ingredients....Thanks for this!

ETA: Phooey, no pie crust in the house, and I am terrible at even attempting to make them from scratch! Might have to go to the store...

ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

I make the chocolate chip pie all the time. It's probably what my dh has gotten for his birthday most of the years we've been married.

The tip about checking to see if the pie is really done is key. I've had several that had the most amazing looking top crust that were still runny when I cut into them. It really does take an hour (or a little more) to cook. I would probably even put a fork in to make sure that it is really done. With all the butter, it will still be moist, but you ought to be able to see if it is cooked through or just has a crust.

I'll have to try the sawdust, that sounds good.