Menu

Would a kitty that's been inside survive living outside in winter?

Our kitty is about 6 months old. We've been letting him go outside for a little bit each day. We started out keeping him inside but he kept darting for the door each time someone opened it. Well last night him pooped in my dd11 bedroom, something he has never done before. I'm worried that this may start a trend and I'm not in the least bit interested in cleaning up after a cat! I have five kids they keep me busy enough! My only concern about letting him live outside is that it's been a very cold. Since he's been inside would he survive temptures below 10?

Edited by A home for their hearts
bedding=bedroom

Our kitty is about 6 months old. We've been letting him go outside for a little bit each day. We started out keeping him inside but he kept darting for the door each time someone opened it. Well last night him pooped in my dd11 bedding, something he has never done before. I'm worried that this may start a trend and I'm not in the least bit interested in cleaning up after a cat! I have five kids they keep me busy enough! My only concern about letting him live outside is that it's been a very cold. Since he's been inside would he survive temptures below 10?

It would not be ethical to leave him outside in weather that cold. He might survive, but it would not be ethical. He doesn't have those survival traits. However, my first question is, was the litterbox cleaned that day? There may be a simple solution to the pooping problem :)

Usually it means the litter box wasn't clean enough. He probably wants out to have a clean place to do his business. Cats aren't a huge amount of work, but they do need a clean litter box, clean water, etc.. Your kids are old enough that this could be their chore, but I also suggest that you oversee to make sure it's been done. Has he been neutered? That might help him to want to go out less too. I would definitely not recommend putting your pet outside to live.

Why not have a family "cat care" course? Go to the library and let them all pick books on cats and their care and their behavior, and learn together. :001_smile: Kitty would be most grateful. :001_smile:

Outdoor cats build up a winter coat over time, starting in the fall. If your kitty has been indoors, it has not had a chance to build up that coat. Please don't do it :(.

It is very uncommon for a cat to defecate outside of their litter box. Cats are notorious for their urinary exploits, but pooping in a bed is odd. You may want to get him checked by your vet and, of course, make sure his box is clean.

Good luck with finding a new home. And good for you for asking here for opinions. I agree, you can't just put him outside, but I'd be pretty done too. Good luck finding a workable humane solution. Has he been fixed yet? Might his weird behavior have something to do with hormones? IF he's nto been neutered ( spelling?) that would be the most humane thing to do, have him fixed before you give him away. then you can fight over population.

~christine in al

Just to give you the "grace" side of things :) He's a kitty. Our kitty has been the most bonding experience ever.... these last few months. He too is about the same age. Basically, it's the infant/toddler stage of their lives. It's commitment, the chance to show love towards a creature that is so sweet and you won't be sorry after... Is he neutered?? Get that done STRAIGHT away... (like tomorrow) if not. You absolutely wouldn't want to deal with that.

Our kitty was adopted.... I had to basically wash him each day for 2 weeks... because he had "poopy feet".... none of the kids help except to feed him....

I've taken him to the vet because he can't kick a cold. (and he's been checked) ordered him Lysine... because his little immunity needs built up.... Give him wet food... half a can at a time... because he was bleeding out the tush..... and the vet said he was overeating the other way I fed him...

Basically dissected his poop about 4 times to see what he was eating that was making him bleed.... (string, dental floss, more of our hair than we realized....from when he plays with it...)

If you changed the type of litter... or he had runnier poop.... or ....whatever... Figure it out... and show your kids what love and dedication can do... You won't be sorry!!! Cats are awesome....

And... he is acting exactly like a baby cat acts.... :) As long as he's neutered ...or you fix him today... (before puberty sets... or they spray) then this will be the bulk of his baby-ness...

Gotta say.. kitties are the greatest :)

I did clean the litter box yesterday. I usually put some fresh litter in but I didn't this time. The mess was found just outside his litter box. This has just been the last straw for me. He gets up on our kitchen counters and the table. If there is food out he will eat it. I'm just ready for him to be gone! Anyone want a cat? :lol:

So is his litter box in the bed?

Did you not know cats climb and jump? Of course the cat eats food if it is left out. You can't reason with a cat, discipline yourself and your family to put food away instead of leaving it out on the counters (yuck).

Pets are work - even gold fish. They need responsible owners who are willing to feed them good nutritious food and provide plenty of clean water. They need their bathroom space cleaned out regularly. They need training, someone to play with and vet visits. Most of all they need love.

If you as the responsible adult aren't willing to step up then maybe you need to find him a new home instead of tossing him out into the cold.

How long could you survive in temps below 10* with just a coat?

Good luck with finding a new home. And good for you for asking here for opinions. I agree, you can't just put him outside, but I'd be pretty done too. Good luck finding a workable humane solution. Has he been fixed yet? Might his weird behavior have something to do with hormones? IF he's nto been neutered ( spelling?) that would be the most humane thing to do, have him fixed before you give him away. then you can fight over population.

~christine in al

Seriously?? After one accident?? When a cat moves and meows and you have to feed them.... Did she think she was buying a stuffed animal?? Of course not!! Animals are living creatures...

We have a dog who actually likes it outside when it's cold, but she has an incredibly thick coat. She will lie on top of a dog house covered with snow rather than go in it when it's heated.

However, I wouldn't even let my dog spend the night outside with less than 10 degree weather. Your kitten is young, small, and has been inside.

The behaviors you describe are not uncommon in cats (up on the counter, etc.) but people do train them to do otherwise. The pooping is obviously a problem, but I'm confused as to whether it was on your daughter's bed or whether her bedding was perhaps on the floor near the litter box? Perhaps you have a fastidious kitten and it really needed clean (not just scooped) litter. I don't know whether you were kidding or not with your reaction that you wanted it gone. If not, I would direct your energies into finding it a home with people who are into cats and who are willing to work with the kitten. Nothing sounds so awful to me that you couldn't get it a new home.

I did clean the litter box yesterday. I usually put some fresh litter in but I didn't this time. The mess was found just outside his litter box. This has just been the last straw for me. He gets up on our kitchen counters and the table. If there is food out he will eat it. I'm just ready for him to be gone! Anyone want a cat? :lol:

Teach the older two kids to properly clean the litter box each day. Put the food up when you aren't eating it. It's a kitten. Water spritz it when it gets on your counters and it will learn to only do it when you aren't around so that you aren't bothered. It doesn't have a winter coat, so no you shouldn't just toss it outside. Not exactly complicated problem solving skills required here. :glare:

At the very least, if you are going to toss it out. Put in a pet door to your garage or keep it cracked and have a heat lamp and food in there for the cat to have a safe warm place from the elements. Lot of country folk do that for their barn cats. (Noting that if you forget to crack the garage - you might as well tell your kids you killed the cat. And that if you

don't live in the country and it isn't used to hunting, again you might as well tell the kids you killed it.)

I'm actually okay with outdoor cats, but in this case, I have to agree with pp that it seems you didn't think before getting the pet.

Edited by Martha

the getting on the counters and eating food, and killing birds .. a friend's cat attacted her young child and she still has the cat..I SO wouldn't choose a cat over my child ( different story, but sort of my back story stuff)

I like to visit cats, but I recon I expect a pet to fit in to the household, not the otherway around..

Except I do hear the " he's a baby and needs some time, love and training" bit. I'd be up for that if we got a kitten. ( which is why I recon we dont' have one now) I'd have a squirt gun and encourage the kitten that the table or kitchen counteres weren't pleasant.

Our dog keeps peeing at the bottom of the stairs and she's not outside or gone. So, no I guess after one event.. pooping in a bed.

I won't call it an accident, could have been a statement or an acting out from some other need. but I'd be checking it out. and moving kitty's bed to the bathroom for night time until I fugured it out.

~c.

Well, and outdoor cats where they can come in.... are more like indoor/outdoor.... We kept our first cat in for the first year, which is recommended... and then she had to stay out for a while.... when my little one was little.... but the weather here just isn't that cold..... Now she's a princess again... and stays inside.... (where before I had to always grab her and get her back in... cuz she wanted out) and our little cat won't ever go outside if I can help it..... Much healthier that way.

Oh... make sure your flea meds have worm meds in them.... That would put you over the top. No big deal... just a squeeze on the back of the neck once a month.. :)

I vote you can stick this out. You do homeschool :)

I have a cat that started pooping outside the litterbox in the last few years, but she's older (~12ish), she has complicating medical issues, and she also isn't getting along with one of our other kitties. We won't euthanize her, and we won't toss her outside, though believe me, on some days I've considered both. But things have gotten somewhat better. She now lives in a part of the house that is closed off to the cat who bothers her, and she has 2 big litterboxes of her own. As long as they're super-clean she uses them. If they're not clean enough, she poops right outside the litterbox, as a way of reminding us to do better. Hey, I wouldn't want to use a disgusting bathroom either, so I can empathize. :)

The only other time we've had accidents was when a cat was accidentally trapped in a room for several hours, and one time when the kids were playing too rough with one of the cats and freaked her out so much that she peed. *sigh* Poor kitty!

In your case, chances are very, very good that the litterbox just wasn't up to the kitten's standards that day. Scoop it 2x per day, and/or consider making a second litterbox available. (Our vet's rule of thumb is 1 box per cat plus one extra.) Another option might be one of the litterboxes that cleans itself automatically. They're expensive and they need to be near an electrical outlet, but some people think they're great. On the off-chance that does keep happening, look for signs of illness, as there may be an underlying cause.

I don't think you're anywhere near this point yet, but as a last resort, our local humane society suggests this method of overcoming litterbox avoidance: Crate Training For Your Cat. Veterinarians often suggest a variation of this method using a quiet room (like a bathroom or guest room) instead of a crate, but in many homes that wouldn't be feasible.

Like others have said, put away food. Sweep so the kitten isn't eating crumbs. Believe me, sweeping is more fun that cleaning up cat vomit. :) You can put sheets of foil on the countertops for a while and see if that discourages him. Cats hate foil. Our cats rarely jump on the tables or counters. They only do it if we've been careless about leaving food up there.

Edited by jplain

I am no where near as animal rights gung ho as many here.

But I don't consider a clean well placed liter box and putting our food up to be all that much of a fitting our lives to the pet or fitting the pet to us issue.:001_huh:

As for cats jumping on counters.

Get a grip.

A healthy cat is probably cleaner than most people's kids. Or spouses for that matter.

Besides. The cat probably just wants to sunbath in the window or get a drink from the tap.

Or at this moment, sit on a kid's textbook so said kid will love on them while doing their home work at the counter bar.

Oh and neither of my cats ever eat food off the counter or table.

If they are, I suggest making sure you are feeding them quality (which does not expensive) cat food. The first ingredient needs to be MEAT, not just meat by product. Usually it is chicken. You can get some fairly cheap that have the first couple ingredients that way.

Oh.. One exception. Dh once purchased an orange crush cake for a little tea party I was having several years ago. I had uncovered it and left it on the table with all the other goodies. My cat LOVED that orange crush cake. I went to answer the phone and her face was buried in the side of it when I got back. It's like it was baked with cat nip. She has never ever done anything like before or since.

BTW, I'm not an animal rights person. I just think that when you get a cat, you research if need be... to find out what cats take for care... you give them that care... and you don't throw them away when they ended up being a ...Cat...

Quite frankly, the expectation that the cat would never have an accident... never urinate on the outside of the box.... never jump on a count.... (Curious Cat??) never want to run outside... and you have to chase it back in.... etc.... is just... really unreasonable.

I really hope... that after reading these comments, the poster doesn't feel beat down, but rather realizes that her kitty is normal.... and shows the kids what it looks like when you make a decision. If she is going to get rid of it... get rid of it while it's at the stage that we all want... "kitty stage".... they are SO darn cute :)

Edited by NayfiesMama
BTW, I feed my cat food that is 95% meat and he still wants our food too :)...and he's not underfed :)

Oh and neither of my cats ever eat food off the counter or table.

If they are, I suggest making sure you are feeding them quality (which does not expensive) cat food. The first ingredient needs to be MEAT, not just meat by product. Usually it is chicken. You can get some fairly cheap that have the first couple ingredients that way.

Oh.. One exception. Dh once purchased an orange crush cake for a little tea party I was having several years ago. I had uncovered it and left it on the table with all the other goodies. My cat LOVED that orange crush cake. I went to answer the phone and her face was buried in the side of it when I got back. It's like it was baked with cat nip. She has never ever done anything like before or since.

Maybe it comes down to the temperament or breed of cat? :confused:

Our cat is fed a high quality raw meat diet x2 per day (and slightly more than the recommended amount- cat not fat, but we're not feeding bare minimum here) and our cat is *constantly* scavenging on our countertops and kitchen table. :glare: I've used spray bottles, tin foil, sticky pads. Nothing stops the cat although it will sometimes jump off if we enter the room.

This cat is so bold as to dare to eat off my son's plate the other day- when I was sitting in the chair right beside his spot! :glare: Ds had got up to go to the bathroom and next thing I knew, the cat was on his chair and stole the chicken breast right off his plate!- and this was *after* having been fed his dinner.

I'm not sure why our cat is so naughty this way. It does drive me bonkers but I've just been training the kids to be more careful about making sure all food is put away (and pantry door is closed or cat will raid the pantry and chew through every bag in there :glare:). I clean all tabletops and counters with vinegar before ANY food comes out. I chalk it up to this cat being a teenaged Siamese and am hoping he mellows out a bit as he matures. Animals definitely have their own temperaments and personalities and it can be frustrating when they're not at all what we expected.

Water spritz it when it gets on your counters and it will learn to only do it when you aren't around so that you aren't bothered.

:lol: This is so true! Our cats will occasionally climb on the counters and then will look guilty and jump down quickly if we walk in.

OP, I would not put the kitty outside right now. Maybe when it's warmer, but I'd just try to be careful about leaving bedding and stuff around, closing doors to bedrooms, etc. One of our cats is a 10yo male cat, and since we moved here (4 years ago), he prefers to go outside most of the time. He comes in and out, especially in the winter, and we'll leave water outside for him if we won't be around during the very hot summer days. But I would not do that to a new kitty in the middle of winter.

In the OP's defense, she may not have realized how different cats can be, and maybe she heard from other people that cats were low maintenance. I'd have said that after our first cat. He's always been super low maintenance -- easy to please, didn't care if the litter box was cleaned every day, etc. So we got a second cat a few years ago, and that one's been a totally different story. She's much pickier about having a clean space to do her business. We got both as newborns, and they were spayed/neutered; they just seem to have different personalities.

First, let me tell you that I have spent more time and energy on my son's frogs than you want to spend on your cat. Cats are social, lovable, and need attention and care - just as a child would.

Do not put the cat outside. You must start a cat outside in the early fall, or it will die. Even those cats need a safe, warm place to go at night. If you are tempted to do this, please take the cat to a shelter instead so that the cat has a chance at survival.

You need to feed the cat decent food. Pet food from the grocery store is like giving the kids candy bars all day and expecting them to be well behaved.

They need clean fresh water. I wouldn't want to drink out of a stagnant dirty dish, and neither do they.

Clean litter box, and also - you need two for a cat that is picky. Yes - two. If you are using litter that creates dust - that could be a problem for your cat - they hate it. Try a different litter.

6 months is still a kitten!!!!! They need more attention, food, training etc. They are technically kittens until they are 18 months old.

lastly - cats rarely show distress when they are sick or in pain. However, they try to get your attention in other ways - including pooping and peeing inappropriately. Please take your cat to a vet and get a regular checkup. Also - if you are not capable of affording the vet bills and cost of shots - find the cat another home.

I'm sorry I posted this. I haven't even read all the replies and I'm in tears. I am not an animal hating person. I just came her to vent and ask a simple honest question. I did not come here to be judged. I actually had a long reply I was going to post but hit the wrong button and it got deleted. If I can I will come back later and answer some questions to clarify some things that have been brought up.

I agree with all the pps, don't put the cat outside.

Your posts made me want to ask, have you had a cat before? I ask, because climbing and jumping are just what cats do. They can be trained out of some things, but they are naturally "wired" to be a cat :001_smile: I had cats growing up, but they were all indoor-outdoor cats. I got my first cat as an adult 1 1/2 years ago because my husband "outgrew" his cat allergy. She is a total indoor cat. After not having a cat for over 20 years it has been an adjustment. But I had forgotten that cats ARE NOT dogs. And my husband was in shock, he's still adjusting, because he had never been around a cat and he couldn't relate to her at all. Still doesn't like her much, but give him 5 more years :001_smile: It took him that long to get used to the dog and now they're great pals.

It seems to me that totally indoor cats climb more than ones who are allowed outside. I don't remember the cats I had growing up jumping on top of high furniture and I KNOW they didn't climb on the kitchen counter, at least while we could see :001_smile: I think maybe they got the climbing out of their systems outside. Our cat LOVES high places. Right now she is sitting on top of the hutch that sits on the desk watching me type. We say she looks like a gargoyle when she does that. We have loosened up on what we find acceptable cat behavior, and it was either that or be stressed all the time or get rid of her. And you know what - she is actually very entertaining :001_smile: and loving.

If you solve the litter box issues but can't deal with your cat being a cat than find her a good home. You'll all be happier.

Mary

P.S. I recommend the book Cats for Dummies, it helped me figure out what expectations I had that were unreasonable.

I'm sorry I posted this. I haven't even read all the replies and I'm in tears. I am not an animal hating person. I just came her to vent and ask a simple honest question. I did not come here to be judged. I actually had a long reply I was going to post but hit the wrong button and it got deleted. If I can I will come back later and answer some questions to clarify some things that have been brought up.

:grouphug:

No judging here, just hugs.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: FWIW, I'm not a cat person myself, but I did get a kitten for my kids. I've had cats in the past but none were like the kitten we ended up with and I'll be honest and say I have been incredibly disappointed with it. :( We got this kitten very young and have given it nothing but love and attention and it has got to be the most un-cuddly, mischievous kitty on the planet. :001_huh: I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to get rid of it, but we stuck it out and while he's still not overly cuddly, he has his own way of showing us he loves us and we all find him quite endearing now. It took a long time for me to actually enjoy having him around- even though he's still up on my counters and kitchen table & no amount of cat advice from people IRL or internet searches has been able to cure that.

Anyways, all this to say that our kitty is nothing at all like I expected (or have experienced) a kitty to be but now that we've stuck it out I can't imagine life without him. I hope you can figure out what is best for kitty and your family. They're definitely temperamental and opinionated beings- quite different from dogs, that's for sure- and take some getting used to. While we won't be getting rid of our kitty, I'm definitely reminded of why I've always been a dog person. :tongue_smilie:

Many were not judging - just imagining kitty-cicles. It can bring out the mama-cats in a lot of us cat people.

I have heard of a lot of cats taken to shelters or left ourside for very manageable issues - the only problem was a lack of experience with cats. I hope that even with some of the more upsetting responses, you will take the information here and see if any of it can help the situation.

I'm sorry if you're feeling attacked. Many of us have done rescue and we also have rescued pets from situations like you're describing. You have a kitten that it sounds like had an accident, but the solution you were considering is not one that would by healthy for an indoor pet. You then nonchalantly said you just wanted it "gone". That makes me sad.

Many were not judging - just imagining kitty-cicles. It can bring out the mama-cats in a lot of us cat people.

I have heard of a lot of cats taken to shelters or left ourside for very manageable issues - the only problem was a lack of experience with cats. I hope that even with some of the more upsetting responses, you will take the information here and see if any of it can help the situation.

:iagree:

I haven't even read all the replies and I'm in tears. I am not an animal hating person.

Stacy,

Sometimes an animal comes into our life, whether through our choice or someone elses, and for one reason or another it's not a good fit.

I think that in such cases it is best to find a home for that pet that IS a good fit, and do your best to not feel guilty about it.

I know that is a difficult thing to do, especially when some of the people around us have strong opinions about pet ownership and all things related, but it really is best for everyone involved (parents, kids, pets and the new owners).

I have been there, and finding a new home for our pet was an incredibly hard decision to come to. Thankfully, it turned out to be one of the better decisions I have ever made.

:iagree::grouphug:

Also, you may be able to find a good home for your kitty if it does not work out. Also, some cats are very particular about their litter. You could also try shutting rooms where you don't want the cat to be. I had to do that for one of my cats. We brought it to the shelter with the understanding that they would call me if the cat was not adoptable so that I could do something else. I only did this after trying everything possible to make it work.

I think you're feeling attacked because, well...I think there were a whole lot of people attacking you. I think it's great that you came here to ask if you really didn't know what to do.

I do agree that the cat should not go outside, and that the litter box was probably the culprit, but that's enough information without people acting as if you're going to put the poor thing in a bag with a rock and throw it in the river.

FWIW, I have always had cats. I love them (dogs...not so much). My latest addition is an almost year old and he's unlike any cat I've ever had. First, he is huge and can actually open doors as long a they push in. No, I'm not making that up. The problem is that he LOVES to sleep with me but he's so active I have to kick him out of the room at night. And then he opens the door and comes in anyway. :D Doesn't make for a very restful night. He also is the first cat I've ever owned that went outside of his litter box, too. After much trial and error I figured out it was that a) he didn't like sharing with my other cat, and b) the box was in the garage and he was scared of the cat door. As soon as I got a new box just for him inside the house he was fine, and has been ever since.

My point is that I simply adore this cat, and sometimes I want to give him away, too! Just like some days we want to give our kids away. :tongue_smilie: The feelings you've expressed here are perfectly normal, and I can't believe how people have twisted it. I do encourage you to stick with kitty until he's beyond the kitten stage. Yes, put your food away from the counter. Yes, keep him inside. Yes, make sure the litter is VERY clean. Just like with toddlers, this too shall pass.

I am sorry you're in tears.

This board has its hot buttons and you pressed one. You've been here a while so you know how it can be. :D

Posting a vent and saying "I'm done!" (even if you are not) is something lots of posters have done over many things. Six months sounds like a teenager in cat age. I am sure you wouldn't willingly allow harm to come to your kitten any more than you would to your own teens (now or in the future...)

No judging here, just hugs.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

People can be pretty harsh when it really isn't needed.:001_smile:

We had a cat come to our home in October, kept hanging around, looked like she was starving, had just had kittens. Within a month the kittens were living with us, then it got cold, we had mother spayed, brought everykitty inside. Got in touch with a cat lady at a pet store, she was harsh too. Not my fault the cat's owners never spayed her or kept her inside or fed her!

We kept one kitten, I am not a cat person, it has been a challenge. No accidents yet. I don't like for a cat to get on the counter or table either!

I am sorry that cat lovers were scratchy.:grouphug:

We moved last week and were homeless for a day and night, so we asked our neighbor to keep kitten. Turns out one of the missing kittens had ended up at their house, so she was reunited with a sibling, but didn't eat much. She grieved being away from our little girl and our home; kitten pigged out when we got her home, avoided daughter for a while.

Please bear with your kitcat. And don't put him outside!

Don't let people get to you. It seems more and more routine for people to go off the deep end about every issue these days. You could have posted about whether a certain brand of toilet paper was soft and gotten harsh responses.

It sounds like you are taking good care of the cat. I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to put it outside now, but a number of people seemed to be saying you could make it an outside cat, as long as you started in warmer weather and had a warm place it could go when it needed to in the winter. I'd ignore all the other "advice".

Lisa

I posted about a similar problem recently and got some harsh replies too. Try not to take it too hard.

I didn't read all the replies, but regarding cats getting on counters and tables I can recommend a product that will stop this behavior:

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-StayAway-Motion-Activated-Pet-Deterrent/dp/B000DZFFN4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296066028&sr=8-2

It has worked wonderfully for our little kitten. When the cat gets on the counter, the sensor detects it. It beeps and sprays air at the cat. Nothing harmful to the cat, but they sure don't like it. We've had almost no problems with the kitten getting on the counter since buying this product.

I think you're feeling attacked because, well...I think there were a whole lot of people attacking you. I think it's great that you came here to ask if you really didn't know what to do.

I do agree that the cat should not go outside, and that the litter box was probably the culprit, but that's enough information without people acting as if you're going to put the poor thing in a bag with a rock and throw it in the river.

FWIW, I have always had cats. I love them (dogs...not so much). My latest addition is an almost year old and he's unlike any cat I've ever had. First, he is huge and can actually open doors as long a they push in. No, I'm not making that up. The problem is that he LOVES to sleep with me but he's so active I have to kick him out of the room at night. And then he opens the door and comes in anyway. :D Doesn't make for a very restful night. He also is the first cat I've ever owned that went outside of his litter box, too. After much trial and error I figured out it was that a) he didn't like sharing with my other cat, and b) the box was in the garage and he was scared of the cat door. As soon as I got a new box just for him inside the house he was fine, and has been ever since.

My point is that I simply adore this cat, and sometimes I want to give him away, too! Just like some days we want to give our kids away. :tongue_smilie: The feelings you've expressed here are perfectly normal, and I can't believe how people have twisted it. I do encourage you to stick with kitty until he's beyond the kitten stage. Yes, put your food away from the counter. Yes, keep him inside. Yes, make sure the litter is VERY clean. Just like with toddlers, this too shall pass.

:iagree: And if he poops outside the box again, maybe take him in to the vet for a physical.

Just to give you a bit of support - I wouldn't put up with it either. Our cat peed on my brand new living room carpet yesterday and she's now living in our garage. She's a stray that we adopted by accident about six years ago. She was hurt and we took her to the vet and then had to keep her inside until she healed and she's been here every since. I've tolerated her but I don't have the time or patience to put up with the peeing in my house and therefore she's is now living outside with her litter box, food and water and a nice pet bed. It's about 30 degrees right now - I may have been more sympathectic to her if it was in the single digits.

You need to do what's right for your family - I'm probably going to get dinged for this but people are more important than cats!

Maybe it comes down to the temperament or breed of cat? :confused:

Our cat is fed a high quality raw meat diet x2 per day (and slightly more than the recommended amount- cat not fat, but we're not feeding bare minimum here) and our cat is *constantly* scavenging on our countertops and kitchen table. :glare: I've used spray bottles, tin foil, sticky pads. Nothing stops the cat although it will sometimes jump off if we enter the room.

I've wondered about just this thing. Our female cat loves to drink from the sink (and we love to turn on bathroom sinks for her) but the few times she tried the kitchen sink I told her to get down with an angry voice and she never tried again. The kitchen counters were where I drew the line in the sand and for some odd cat reason she actually honored that. Our male cat never gets on furniture except for that in my son's room. We never told him no either. Cats are just weird that way but so darn cute. :lol: We love 'em!

Now my friend has 3 cats. One gets on the counters but the other two don't. She disciplined them all exactly the same way. Go figure.

Our cat is a very unique cat and a very odd personality IMO (I have had many cats in my life and this one is definitely not normal-LOL). He has us very well trained (he is about 9yrs old).

He is an indoor/outdoor cat. I wanted him to be an indoor cat, but he had other ideas about that!!!!! He clawed through at least 6 screens to get out (and this was as a kitten and he was "too young" to be neutered). As soon as we could get him neutered... he was neutered (which the bugger got out the day before the appt and I had to reschedule it since he didn't come home in time for us to make sure he didn't eat anything.)

He is a very good hunter and loves to bring us gifts of his hunts.... yuck!!!!

When he wants out he meows... if we don't jump to it fast enough he claws the door jams. He knows we will jump then-LOL.

When he wants attention.. he will get that attention. When he wants to be petted... he will make sure he gets petted!!!!!! He nips or paws at our hands to get us to pet him. He hates being picked up though!!!!! He will bite/scratch when he is annoyed so we respect his wishes.

He is very playful at times. Lately he has been chasing his own tail!!!!!!! When he wants someone to play with him, he will demand to be played with. He really gets into the playing thing... we have to sometimes wear gloves to protect our hands. He will pounce on us when we come around a corner, or near the stairs. He is a fun cat!!!!!!

He will come to me at midnight when others are still up and about that could take care of his needs. Nope, he wants to get me up out of bed to get someone else to take care of his needs. I think that everyone else tunes him out :glare:.

There are phases when he will follow Dh like a puppy dog. Some days Dh can't get the cat to leave him alone... even to go to the bathroom or shower. In the winter he tends to be curled up somewhere inside (usually my bed) instead of following Dh around.

If he is inside at night (which is every very cold night), I have to make sure he is not in my bedroom or about 4 am he will want out of bedroom. He eats then and often times he comes to my bedroom door and meows loudly as he expects me to go down stairs to make sure he has food (I don't unless he really hollers up a storm which means he can see bottom of food bowl or it is actually empty). After about 10 minutes he comes back to me and meows to get let outside.

He pukes up cat food nearly every day... so we have to put only a little bit in his food bowl about 4 times a day. Even then we still need to clean up a mess nearly every day. It is like he has hairballs but it is food. As soon as he sees a dime size bottom of his food bowl, he expects us to give him more even though there is still plenty of food along the sides of bowl. We have to shake his bowl to cover that hole-LOL.

As annoying he can be... a lot of that annoying behavior cracks us up. He definitely has a unique personality. Right now he is curled up next to me sleeping. He is sooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!

I came here with a question concerning the well being of our kitty. I didn't say that I was going to throw him out into the snow in 10 degree weather. That was the point of this thread, to find out if it would be safe to put him outside when he has been an indoor cat. I honesty didn't know, it was an innocent question that I thought was innocent enough to ask. If I had any idea of the responses I would get I would never have asked it. Maybe the way it was worded mislead people and for that I am sorry.

When I came here this morning to post this thread it was after days of being up all night with a croupy baby. I really haven't gotten much sleep since last wednesday night. While I was still in bed this morning I heard my ds6 say "Mom, mom, the kitty pooped in dd11 bedroom." That was not something I wanted to deal with. It was just the straw that broke the camels back. I've had a long week with the baby and various appointments. We've done nothing but run the past few weeks and I am just exhausted. The last thing I wanted to do was clean up after the kitty, and it wasn't a nice small pile that could be easily cleaned. It was on the floor close to where my ds10 sleeping (my two boys have been sleeping on the floor of dd11 bedroom). He ended up rolling over it and smashing it into the carpet and the blanket he was using. Then to top it all off I couldn't get our carpet cleaner to work.

To answer some questions: The litter box does have a top and is cleaned twice a week. Sometimes it only gets cleaned once and week and the kitty has never seemed to mind before. I had cleaned the litter box out yesterday so it was clean. Because of lack of space the litter box and food and water are in my dd11 bedroom. Everytime someone would open the door to go outside the kitty would dart out. The kids used to run after him but after a couple of times of not finding him and them him returning on his own we backed off chasing after him when he ran out. As for him jumping up on the counters and table I know he is a cat and they do jump :glare: However just because that is their nature doesn't mean I have to be happy with it. We've tried spraying him with water and gave up on that a long time ago, it didn't work. We knew that having a pet came with responsibility but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to vent on a bad day.

For all of those who had kind responses to my question I thank you. The kitty will remain inside.

Just to give you a bit of support - I wouldn't put up with it either. Our cat peed on my brand new living room carpet yesterday and she's now living in our garage. She's a stray that we adopted by accident about six years ago. She was hurt and we took her to the vet and then had to keep her inside until she healed and she's been here every since. I've tolerated her but I don't have the time or patience to put up with the peeing in my house and therefore she's is now living outside with her litter box, food and water and a nice pet bed. It's about 30 degrees right now - I may have been more sympathectic to her if it was in the single digits.

You need to do what's right for your family - I'm probably going to get dinged for this but people are more important than cats!

You moved her out to the garage because of one accident? I'm sorry to say this, but I think that was a little extreme. :eek: And even if she did it several times, if she is ordinarily a good cat, that could indicate a medical problem.

And it's cruel to put an indoor cat out into 30 degree weather. She is not acclimated to it at all.

Cat

If you really don't like the cat, why not just find a good home for her?

Litter Box Tips:

1. I would not have a litter box in a bedroom. Cat feces can lead to health problems in humans. Most people will keep a litter box in a bathroom or laundry room - usually somewhere with vinyl on the floor.

2. The litter box needs to be scooped daily.

3. Every 3 days or so the litter needs to be refreshed.

4. If the litter can't be refreshed anymore, all the litter needs to be dumped and the litter box disinfected. Then new litter needs to be put in.

For counters:

1. Spraying the cat with water is good, so is putting some aluminum foil on your counter.

I would look for a good "how to" book on cat care.