Menu

Supervising teacher help

I am using a supervising teacher for our homeschool this year and am meeting with her this Saturday (we just moved to a new state and need to get the paperwork done the state needs). She asked me to supply her with some samples of my sons work so she can see what he has done. I figured a few writing papers he has done and some tests, but what else should I show her? Should I just use work he has done this year or pick some from last year too? Do I show her just tests or daily work from his notebooks? Should I have the work I am showing her typed up and put in a neat file or as is? Should I have copies made for her to keep in her files? What do you do?

On a side note/question....what is a normal fee a supervising teacher charges? She is asking for $50 an hour and we are to meet 4 times a school year. Does this sound like a normal fee, too high, too low?

I am using a supervising teacher for our homeschool this year and am meeting with her this Saturday (we just moved to a new state and need to get the paperwork done the state needs). She asked me to supply her with some samples of my sons work so she can see what he has done. I figured a few writing papers he has done and some tests, but what else should I show her? Should I just use work he has done this year or pick some from last year too? Do I show her just tests or daily work from his notebooks? Should I have the work I am showing her typed up and put in a neat file or as is? Should I have copies made for her to keep in her files? What do you do?

On a side note/question....what is a normal fee a supervising teacher charges? She is asking for $50 an hour and we are to meet 4 times a school year. Does this sound like a normal fee, too high, too low?

I've never done this option, but I didn't know they charged for their service. I thought it was provided by the HSAP. I'll talk to our homeschool coordinator today and ask her about cost.

I've never done this option, but I didn't know they charged for their service. I thought it was provided by the HSAP. I'll talk to our homeschool coordinator today and ask her about cost.

Supervising Teacher

Parents can select a supervising teacher through the state's listing of those available or through the Home School Assistance Program, which provides supervising teachers at no cost to the parents. Alternatively, the supervising teacher may be a parent if the parent is a licensed teacher.

If you choose the supervising-teacher option, you will consult and cooperate with the supervising teacher with regard to your children's progress and learning. The supervising teacher is responsible for contacting students twice every 45 days of instruction, and one of those must be a face-to-face meeting. The teacher provides formal and informal assessments and keeps records of contact and assessments provided. A supervising teacher is licensed by the state to supervise the progress made by students being homeschooled, with the parents providing the actual instruction. This option does not require students to take an annual assessment.

I'm pretty sure that the teachers are paid by the HSAP. You shouldn't have to pay them. Have you talked with the HSAP?

I'm pretty sure that the teachers are paid by the HSAP. You shouldn't have to pay them. Have you talked with the HSAP?

I did look into this. The reason I am not going this route is because you need to enroll you student with the public school. The teachers reports go to the schools, so it is not private. Also, they can strongly suggest other curriculum to use...so if I am using a Christian curriculum and the teacher does not like it she will not approve it. This was the info I got when I talked to someone at NICHE. The person at NICHE told me if I hire a private teacher, everything stays between her and me...I just need to provide the state with the teachers name and teacher file #, a list of curricula used and a schedule.

If I was given wrong info, let me know...free is much better, if it doesnt cost me later on (and not just money cast either).

Thanks for the info...you have been helping lots...much appreciated.

Edited by Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

I did look into this. The reason I am not going this route is because you need to enroll you student with the public school. The teachers reports go to the schools, so it is not private. Also, they can strongly suggest other curriculum to use...so if I am using a Christian curriculum and the teacher does not like it she will not approve it. This was the info I got when I talked to someone at NICHE. The person at NICHE told me if I hire a private teacher, everything stays between her and me...I just need to provide the state with the teachers name and teacher file #, a list of curricula used and a schedule.

If I was given wrong info, let me know...free is much, if it doesnt cost me later on (and not just money cast either).

Thanks for the info...you have been helping lots...much appreciated.

Oh, I get it now. I didn't realize you could do the supervising teacher option without using the HSAP but that makes sense.

Sorry, I'm no help. :001_smile: