Menu

WWYD? RE: big projects at home

I have an oak dining table which needs to be refinished. It's a nice table, but the veneer on the top is flaking and it's not a smooth surface (this annoys me GREATLY). I do not know how to refinish something, and I have no place to refinish it anyway. I've no garage, no place outside that would be safe from the weather to put a piece of furniture to refinish. The table also has a leaf that would need refinishing, too. Part of me is afraid of really messing this up if I start the process then get frustrated and quit.

So, would you try to learn to refinish the table and hope you don't kill of your dd and pets with the fumes? Would you borrow a sander, sand the veneer off and paint the table? Or would you just get a new table and give this one to someone on Freecycle?

Is it actually veneer that is flaking off? Or is it the finish on the veneer? What I mean is that veneer itself is a very thin layer of wood and if you go beneath it (by sanding too vigorously) usually it's only plywood underneath. You might be able to find someone who would sand it lightly and then refinish it but it might cost more than a new table might cost.

So, would you try to learn to refinish the table and hope you don't kill of your dd and pets with the fumes? Would you borrow a sander, sand the veneer off and paint the table? Or would you just get a new table and give this one to someone on Freecycle?

Veneer isn't going to refinish nicely like a solid tabletop, and unless you really love the look of a painted table, sanding and painting is a lot of work and mess. If it were me, I would just cover it with a tablecloth until I found something to replace it with. Are there consignment or better quality used furniture stores where you live? I've seen some pretty amazing pieces of used furniture for very reasonable prices.

Veneer isn't going to refinish nicely like a solid tabletop, and unless you really love the look of a painted table, sanding and painting is a lot of work and mess. If it were me, I would just cover it with a tablecloth until I found something to replace it with. Are there consignment or better quality used furniture stores where you live? I've seen some pretty amazing pieces of used furniture for very reasonable prices.

It's the actual veneer that's peeling. It's a shame, too, because it's a nice sturdy table.

We do have a furniture consignment shop, but it is so stinking expensive! It's like buying brand new furniture. Those Sauder put-it-together-yourself bookcases are more expensive there than at Target or WM!

I did find this, it's a little more than I wanted to spend, but I love it and it comes with 2 leaves: http://www.csnstores.com/BRI-HE-6-31-0-BRI-HE-2-85-K-AAM1267.html#ReviewHeader

This would be a near impossible job for a novice, ime.

Not having a good, ventilated place to work will cause major headaches, both figuratively and literally. You really don't want to mess around with those fumes. blech

Freecycle it and get a new one. Solid wood, if you can afford it.:001_smile:

Or check on a piece of glass to cover the top. I have done that too and it worked really well. :)