Menu

Kids who like MCT

Embassy

My 3rd grade son LOVES MCT. We started with Island level and have progressed fairly quickly. He approaches it with enthusiasm and anticipation every time we do a lesson! He is gifted and has an uncanny "sense" when it comes to language/language arts, so that could have something to do with it?! :001_huh: This curriculum, IMHO, is brilliant in its presentation - very creative and simple, but comprehensive at the same time. Unlike any other LA curriculum I have seen/used and as an English teacher, I've seen a number of them! ;) We use Sonlight for history & geography, Horizons for math & penmanship, Elemental Science Earth Science & Astronomy, Lively Latin Big Book 1, WWE-3 for narration & dictation, and we're starting AAS for spelling in a couple of weeks. Out of all of that, I would say that MCT is definitely his favorite. (Lively Latin is a pretty close 2nd!)

HTH!

That is pretty interesting that the post directly above mine says the same thing for MCT and Lively Latin . . . we were typing at the same time! Ha! Ha!

Edited by CarrieF
Update

My younger son loves MCT. Other things that have worked well with him are Ellen McHenry's The Elements, Minimus (even though it drives me nuts), and Story of the World (the first two volumes). I suspect he would also like Life of Fred.

Yup, MCT is a winner here. They also like Killgallon and Life of Fred. "Life of Fred isn't math, Mom. It's a story with some problems sprinkled in." :)

We use MFW for the rest, and they like it—better now than they did, at least, now that we are into some variety in ancient history (besides Ancient Egypt). They really enjoy keeping history notebooks/timelines. I copied a piece of paper with 2 lines on top and four lines on the bottom, marked the years from ancient to modern times, and comb bound it on the narrow side, so the sheets are in landscape. They really enjoy putting in stuff they learn (and, occasionally, invent).

The eldest also loves SOTW on audio CDs read by Jim Weiss and GA Henty read by the same. DD can't sit still and concentrate long enough to love audio cds that much, but ds devours them while he draws or works with clay or woodburns.

My daughter really likes it. She also appreciates the fact that I try to find things that she will enjoy.

She likes the state studies in MFW, as well, for some reason.

She didn't really used to like school that much. Since I added MCT and changed to MFW, which has some arts and crafts things she likes, she has decided that she likes learning.

The other day, she said, "Mom, I like learning. I like everything about learning. Except math." My son piped up, "I don't like learning, but I like math."

So, there you have it. Of course, he is not old enough for MCT yet.

My daughter finished Grammar Island and Music of the Hemispheres. She liked it, but MotH was her favorite.

She also likes: ANY Apologia science, Singapore Math, Prima Latina, If workbooks (she currently is working on Story Elements, which covers setting, plot, character, etc), Sonlight (we're wrapping up Core 2). I think her favorite thing might be Art - we use the Core Knowledge Sequence topics for Art.

DD loves MCT, Killgallon, Life of Fred, Singapore Intensive Practice, Edward Zaccaro's Challenge Math series, and she seems to like Figuratively Speaking and Adventures in Fantasy but we just started those within the past week.

She loved Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry when she did those last year.

My dd10 started MCT Town level a bit before Christmas. She'll finish Grammar Town tomorrow and start Paragraph Town next week. She's also doing Caesar'sEnglish 1 and Building Poem. She loves them all so far! She particularly enjoys Caesar's English and the discussions of literature passages that include the words.

The funny thing is that she is not a big reader at all.

We also use Math Mammoth, First Form Latin, SOTW 4, and Megawords.

We've done the whole PT package and have finished CE II and GV. My daughter (grade 6 now) loved CE I and II and GT an GV and the poetry from the first set. She says she doesn't like to write and PT didn't help that at all. She's enjoyed Ellen McHenry's The Brain and Elements, various GEMS guides, various TOPS, MM and any math we do with games, plus SOTW (we're on 4 now) and our Canadian studies.

My son has a love/hate relationship with MCT. He loathed Grammar Island, cries, writhes, and moans when it is time to do Building Language, and dreads Music of the Hemispheres. He relishes Sentence Island (and has been known to quote it) and (bizarrely) loves Practice Island, despite being an avowed handwriting hater.

Go figure.

However, I was just telling my husband last night how the knowledge from MCT is infiltrating this child's brain. He stops mid-sentence to decide if the word he just used is an adverb. He runs about saying things like, "Pelicans are foolish! I don't actually believe pelicans are foolish...I just like saying that sentence." He was reading a Jack Prelutsky poetry book (on his own accord) and started identifying the rhyme scheme, internal rhyming, and eye-rhymes. (BTW - I had never heard these terms before. Ever. I was a business major:))

So, he claims he hates (some of) it. But, wow! The foundation in language in nothing short of amazing to me. I am planning to do a short MCT course this summer with my unwilling daughter. We'll see how that goes:)

Meanwhile, he also adores his Elemental Science curriculum. Would be happy to skip any history any time. Feels so-so about Math Mammoth (but likes the geometry we are doing). I am noticing some themes in these posts - and it is very interesting to me as I am contemplating several of these products for next year, including Lively Latin and AAS.