Menu

Has your husband ever been attracted to/obsessed with your scent?

I was reading in the "No poo, no chemicals..." thread, this little blurb from Melissa, "I read somewhere ( I think in a back to earth type mag) that the reason there are so many divorces in the world is that people are masking their natural scent, and their chemical bond with their partner gets confused by all the smells people add to their bodies.."

Now, before I read that I just thought my husband was weird... he sniffs me all the time. My neck, my hair, he tries sometimes to be discreet, but most times I know. It's not always after a shower either. I don't wear perfume, or hair stuff a lot because I am home all day, almost every day. He says my scent is unique and it just fits his scent recepticles :confused: I thought that was BS, until I read the quote above. Then I did some Googling, and apparently it's not so off the mark... So does anybody else's husbands "scent them" or is mine just an anomaly??

Well, I know I like dh's scent. ;) And I think he's said the same about me. Neither of us uses a lot of product. All I use regularly is shampoo and conditioner. ETA: I'll add, though, that his smell gets overripe when he goes too long without showering. It's not so attractive then. :-p

Edited by Veritaserum

I have a 'sniffer' too. He says he doesn't feel 'home' until he breathes in my neck for a while. It has to be pheromones! I like to 'sniff' him too. I also 'sniff' my babies, up til about age four, then they don't smell in a way that makes me want to sniff them after that. They still want to 'sniff' me, even the big ones. I guess there is a lot going on in our brains that is determined by scent that we are not really aware of.

I read an article in an old issue of Psychology Today that using birth control changes what a woman finds attractive in a man's pheromones......meaning that someone you like to sniff while you are on birth control pills is not the sort of man you like to sniff when you are not on the pill. Maybe that might be an explanation for the 'seven year itch', supposing a woman goes off birth control and gets her tubes tied around that time in a marriage (you know, normal people, not crazy folk like me who just keep on making babies as long as possible!). A woman who goes off birth control may no longer find her husband attractive..........hmmmm, I wonder if the husband would no longer like to 'sniff' that wife........need to find that article!

Now that I am thinking about it, I have also read an article about a study done on newborns that came to the conclusion that newborns could distingush the scent of their mother and her milk on breast pads from other mothers and their milk. I think that was in an AWHONN journal (American Women's Health and Neonatal Nurses professional association journal).

I am glad I posted the original post.I thought long and hard before hitting send. I thought you would all think that I was that wacko from Australia

Oh, well now I think I'M the wacko, because I've never heard of this smell thing and my husband has never mentioned my smell, nor does he smell me... I don't think. Maybe I'm a stinky wacko!!!:svengo:

I'm gonna have to ask him about it tonight.

Oh, well now I think I'M the wacko, because I've never heard of this smell thing and my husband has never mentioned my smell, nor does he smell me... I don't think. Maybe I'm a stinky wacko!!!:svengo:

Well don't feel bad, same here. I try *not* to smell him :) and likewise for him smelling me.

It would be interesting if we did like our smells but... we avoid smelling each other hehe :D

We're no scent people too, and Dh is always sticking is nose in my hair.

I'm always sticking my nose in his neck. Nothing makes my bloodpressure go down like smelling him. That's when all is right with the world.

And, to tell you the truth, the way some men smell freaks me out. I need to connect with my ape brain and figure out why.

We're no scent people too, and Dh is always sticking is nose in my hair.

I'm always sticking my nose in his neck. Nothing makes my bloodpressure go down like smelling him. That's when all is right with the world.

And, to tell you the truth, the way some men smell freaks me out. I need to connect with my ape brain and figure out why.

Yep, even when I'm frustrated with him, if I take a moment to bury my face in neck or chest I start to calm down.

Why do you think I have 4 children!

Yes, he loves the way I smell.

So that's what causes it! Now I know what to tell people that ask me...yes, we finally figured out what causes it ;)

You know, this is probably why we steal their clothes to sleep in also...and stole their jackets in highschool, etc.

Im so glad you posted that. I was starting to think I was the only one whose husband hasn't drooled over my scent. And I can't say that I get all hot and bothered over his, either.

I'd ask him about it, but after all these years, I'm pretty sure I would have caught him sniffing me by now, and since he already thinks I'm kind of nuts, this might be the discussion that gets me hauled off to the crazy house. ;)

Cat

My dh doesn't smell me, but my son does. He smells me all the time. He grabs my hair and just buries his face in it and smells and then has a big smile on his face. He's Autistic and gets kind of OCD too so he has to smell me in the same order every time. First my neck on the back by my right shoulder, then on the left side, then my neck under my chin and finally my hair. I've always just thought it was his way of showing affection, but maybe he just really likes the way I smell?? :confused:

This is one of the most interesting threads I've read today! I think I'll go look up some of those articles now because it makes so much sense. I read a similar article years ago about how women on bc like a certain kind of man and women off of bc like another kind of man. I forget which is which, but one liked the "bad boy" and one liked the potential father type.

LOL.

I just went and asked dh. He said I have a very neutral scent and he doesn't notice it. Then he hugged me and.....breathed me in....and we both realized he does that every time he hugs me. Neither of us had ever thought about it before.

He said he likes to "breathe" me, but that I don't have a real scent.

Funny, huh?

Why do you think I have 4 children!

Yes, he loves the way I smell.

Ditto. :D

Dh will sometimes call or text me during the day to let me know he caught a whiff of my scent on his clothes or his hand so he wanted to let me know he was thinking about me and missing me. :001_smile: I love when he does that.

I read an article in an old issue of Psychology Today that using birth control changes what a woman finds attractive in a man's pheromones......meaning that someone you like to sniff while you are on birth control pills is not the sort of man you like to sniff when you are not on the pill. Maybe that might be an explanation for the 'seven year itch', supposing a woman goes off birth control and gets her tubes tied around that time in a marriage (you know, normal people, not crazy folk like me who just keep on making babies as long as possible!). A woman who goes off birth control may no longer find her husband attractive..........hmmmm, I wonder if the husband would no longer like to 'sniff' that wife........need to find that article!

Yes, this is the article I read and it did say that it was the same the other way around (men might not like the way a woman smells after going on or off BCP ). I also read an article about how eating meat effects the way men smell. It may have been the same article.

Ditto. :D

Dh will sometimes call or text me during the day to let me know he caught a whiff of my scent on his clothes or his hand so he wanted to let me know he was thinking about me and missing me. :001_smile: I love when he does that.

Awww that is so sweet.:001_wub:

my DH is a sniffer too, he loves to bury his head against my neck/hair when he comes in, says he loves my smell and alway telling me I smell good even if i just worked out

its funny but my boys will hug me and have their whole life and tell me momma you smell so good, i don't wear perfume except on rare occasion, must be a guy thing

i love my guys but they usually don't smell to good except right after shower:D

I rarely wear purfume. DH loves my natural scent. He can't describe it though. However he also loves it when I wear purfume but he is very picky about which one I wear. I have one that I wear and that is Donna de Tuscany.

So not sure if the article is off the mark or not with my dh.

The other purfumes I have tried have made dh gag!!

Holly

Im so glad you posted that. I was starting to think I was the only one whose husband hasn't drooled over my scent. And I can't say that I get all hot and bothered over his, either.

I'd ask him about it, but after all these years, I'm pretty sure I would have caught him sniffing me by now, and since he already thinks I'm kind of nuts, this might be the discussion that gets me hauled off to the crazy house. ;)

Cat

:iagree: We are not sniffers.