Menu

MM- I feel old!

sleepymommy

Ds6 and I were working through our MM work this morning and the word problem was about cassette tapes.

Ds6 looked and me and asked "What's a cassette tape?". Ahh, I feel old. :glare:

LOL Don't feel bad. I was watching a youtube video not to long ago and there was a young probably just barely 20 year old talking about, "that thing... oh what's it called... ummmm a 'disc' no, not a disc....ummmm I can't remember what they are called..."

I don't usually comment on videos but I did on hers to inform her that the word she was looking for was "record". I wonder how mystified she would be if someone ever mentioned and 8-track. lol

LOL Don't feel bad. I was watching a youtube video not to long ago and there was a young probably just barely 20 year old talking about, "that thing... oh what's it called... ummmm a 'disc' no, not a disc....ummmm I can't remember what they are called..."

I don't usually comment on videos but I did on hers to inform her that the word she was looking for was "record". I wonder how mystified she would be if someone ever mentioned and 8-track. lol

Lol, yes the 8-tracks would make most young kids look at us like we had 2 heads!

Lol, yes the 8-tracks would make most young kids look at us like we had 2 heads!

LOL I remember listening to Bye Bye Miss American Pie on 8 track with those big honking 70's headphones to boot. :tongue_smilie:

Ay, seeing my post quoted in your post made me realize how many typos I had. sorrryyyyyyyy.:001_smile:

We had to resort to bringing out my old tape player a few days ago. I got it for Christmas when I was around 12 or 13. My kids can not for the life of them figure it out. It is hilarious to watch them puzzle over it! :lol:

LOL I guess I'm odd because I still use my cassette player. It's perfect for hurricane season when the power goes out. I put audio books on cassette for my kids to listen to and it keeps them happy and the batteries last a long time. :)

My dc keep trying to stick the audio CD's in the Wii or DVD player. They think all music is on an iPod!

LOL Ay, you just reminded me of a funny with my dd a few years ago. I have an old turntable that is a good one (they don't make them like that anymore) but it wasn't working properly so it was always just laying around. My dh fixed it one night and we ran it through our receiver that has a phono setting and we were playing old records all night. It was so great hearing all those old albums and those pops and sounds that only records make. I introduced a bunch of old music to my dd and when I put on the Beatles she really liked Eleanor Rigby and after the song finished she went up close to the record player, looked at it a minute and then asked me, "where is the repeat button?" :lol: I said to her, "here let me show you." And I lifted the arm and moved it to the beginning of the song. The look on her face was priceless! :lol::lol:

Edited by Ibbygirl

LOL I remember listening to Bye Bye Miss American Pie on 8 track with those big honking 70's headphones to boot. :tongue_smilie:

Ay, seeing my post quoted in your post made me realize how many typos I had. sorrryyyyyyyy.:001_smile:

Me too:D I also remember playing 45 records and finding I think 75 (I think) records at my grandmother's house:001_huh:

Mine was 'Rhinestone Cowboy' on 8 - Track... listening to it in the truck with my mom and dad as we would drive down the road (WITHOUT seat belts mind you). I can still hear that darn song in my head.

Oh my gosh Glen Campbell! I remember that song so well too. I can hear it in my head now too. :)

My dc keep trying to stick the audio CD's in the Wii or DVD player. They think all music is on an iPod!

Lol! I think ds4 would probably do the same thing. Ds6 was exposed to CD's during his "early years":tongue_smilie:, but ds4 is only used to music coming from the computer, the Ipod/Iphone or the radio.

I'm pretty sure they were 78's, not 75's. Now I'm feeling old too:lol:

I was thinking 75s didn't sound right, but couldn't remember what they really were! :lol: I did play some 78s and 45s, though cassette tapes were very much the big thing at that time. I only played them because we had them. :)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I was thinking 75s didn't sound right, but couldn't remember what they really were! :lol: I did play some 78s and 45s, though cassette tapes were very much the big thing at that time. I only played them because we had them. :)

I don't know if I played any 78's. I only remember because when you would played a 33 1/3 or 45 RPM record at 78 RPM's it made the singer sound like the Chipmunks:lol::lol:

I think I wore out the Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge Over Trouble Water 8 track QUAD a phonic!

tracks 1 and 2 were in stereo

and tracks 3 and 4 in quad.

I can still remember on the song on that album "baby driver". my brother and I had the speakers set up around the living room and could hear the sound move around the room.

then, there was the jr. high music teacher with his reel to reel player of all of the Beatles albums.

I remember playing 33 1/3 and 45's to make them sound like chipmunks.

and to make it worse... I remember using my cassette player to record the dialogue from a TV show so that I could at least listen to it and not miss the show that night and play it over and over. (this was before we bought a beta max)

-crystal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I think I wore out the Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge Over Trouble Water 8 track QUAD a phonic!

tracks 1 and 2 were in stereo

and tracks 3 and 4 in quad.

I can still remember on the song on that album "baby driver". my brother and I had the speakers set up around the living room and could hear the sound move around the room.

then, there was the jr. high music teacher with his reel to reel player of all of the Beatles albums.

I remember playing 33 1/3 and 45's to make them sound like chipmunks.

and to make it worse... I remember using my cassette player to record the dialogue from a TV show so that I could at least listen to it and not miss the show that night and play it over and over. (this was before we bought a beta max)

-crystal

One of my best friends had a reel to real player we used to have fun with. I too remember taping TV shows on a cassette player because we didn't have a VCR yet. I would tape Remington Steele:001_wub: Now I have all the seasons on DVD. Thankfully my children also like Remy:D I've also gotten them hooked on The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, Leave it to Beaver, etc.

I'm just blushing now. I looked up the lyrics to that Simon and Garfunkel song. my parents let my brother and me listen to THAT! or worse, the cecilia song! blush blush blush!

LOL LOL LOL

but man, o man,, did Bridge over Troubled water sound awesome!

-crystal

I would tape Remington Steele:001_wub:

Oh wow I remember that show. Didn't it come on before Moonlighting? or after? I can't remember anymore. lol

I've also gotten them hooked on The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, Leave it to Beaver, etc.

LOL don't forget The Little Rascals, Three Stooges and My Three Sons, gotta cover the classics. :)

Aw man, my PBS station used to show old re-runs of the Jack Benny show. They were so funny. I wish they would show them again.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Oh wow I remember that show. Didn't it come on before Moonlighting? or after? I can't remember anymore. lol

LOL don't forget The Little Rascals, Three Stooges and My Three Sons, gotta cover the classics. :)

Aw man, my PBS station used to show old re-runs of the Jack Benny show. They were so funny. I wish they would show them again.

Yep, it was before Moonlighting (early/mid-80's). I can't stand Bruce Willis and couldn't get over him being in Moonlighting so I didn't watch it much.

I was never into The Little Rascals or Three Stooges so I haven't bought any of them;) I could never watch Lassie or other animal shows because I can't handle it when animals get hurt or in trouble so there are several classics I choose to ignore when they come out on DVD. That dumb dog was always getting into trouble for that stupid Timmy and I couldn't handle it:lol:

Yep, it was before Moonlighting (early/mid-80's). I can't stand Bruce Willis and couldn't get over him being in Moonlighting so I didn't watch it much.

I was never into The Little Rascals or Three Stooges so I haven't bought any of them;) I could never watch Lassie or other animal shows because I can't handle it when animals get hurt or in trouble so there are several classics I choose to ignore when they come out on DVD. That dumb dog was always getting into trouble for that stupid Timmy and I couldn't handle it:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I used to love Moonlighting, Little Rascals and the Three Stooges. I guess that explains why I am the way I am. :D:tongue_smilie::lol: I never liked Lassie either nor the western t.v. shows. I loved My Three Sons though, and Leave it to Beaver and of course the best of them all I Love Lucy. She was hilarious. She and Carol Burnett have to be two of the funniest women ever. Do you let your kids watch the Carol Burnett show?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
:lol::lol::lol: I used to love Moonlighting, Little Rascals and the Three Stooges. I guess that explains why I am the way I am. :D:tongue_smilie::lol: I never liked Lassie either nor the western t.v. shows. I loved My Three Sons though, and Leave it to Beaver and of course the best of them all I Love Lucy. She was hilarious. She and Carol Burnett have to be two of the funniest women ever. Do you let your kids watch the Carol Burnett show?

I've never seen the Carol Burnett show in reruns. I used to watch it all the time but kind of forgot about it. My kids know Tim Conway as the voice of Barnacle Boy on Sponge Bob:001_huh: Obviously I've been neglecting some very important parenting duties:lol:

I've never seen the Carol Burnett show in reruns. I used to watch it all the time but kind of forgot about it. My kids know Tim Conway as the voice of Barnacle Boy on Sponge Bob:001_huh: Obviously I've been neglecting some very important parenting duties:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: